Cross lacing vs standard lacing

Related:
Create New Tag

4/7/2013 9:35 PM

What's the difference, I'm planning on getting 7Ka's laced to profile mini's, my question is can i get my wheel cross laced? and what are the benefits of having a cross laced rim? people say oh i love my gsports because of the cross lace design i dont get it , i thought you can cross lace any rim? someone explain please?

|

4/7/2013 9:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2013 9:38 PM

nope. can only be cross laced if the rim is designed for it. cross lacing a rim not meant to be cross laced is a horrible idea. the spoke hole will rub the nipples eventually causing them to break. the angle of the spoke hole is crucial to whether or not a rim can be cross laced. get rollcages if you wanna cross lace

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

4/7/2013 9:49 PM

tomdon wrote:

nope. can only be cross laced if the rim is designed for it. cross lacing a rim not meant to be cross laced is a horrible ...more

Ok, thanks a lot dude still don't know if i should get rollcages or 7Ka's though ;/

|

4/7/2013 10:16 PM

if you wanna regular lace get the 7ka. if you wanna cross lace get the rollcage. both are basically the same thing

|

4/7/2013 10:23 PM

tomdon wrote:

if you wanna regular lace get the 7ka. if you wanna cross lace get the rollcage. both are basically the same thing

The 7KAs are 7000 series aluminum though, the Rollcages are 6000 series, which isn't as strong, but still plenty strong.

Both are backed by G-Sport/Odyssey though so if you did break them, they gotcha. Personally I'd go with the G-Sport just cause I have them and like the stiffness of the cross lacing. that & in past experiences, all Odyssey rims are a bitch to get tires on and off of if that matters to you haha

|

4/8/2013 4:06 AM

I would still go with 7KAs and lace them up normally.
If you really want to cross lace and have a better grade of aluminium get Ribcages.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/8/2013 4:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2013 7:15 AM

There's a thread on here where someone was complaining they broke a bunch of spokes, and posted a pic. They had cross laced a standard lace rim and, of course, were ridiculed a bit for it. I'll try to find it.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

4/8/2013 6:34 AM

Chuck8273 wrote:

There's a thread on here where someone was complaining they broke a bunch of spokes, and posted a pic. They had cross laced a ...more

Haha yeah I remember it.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/10/2013 10:19 AM

Hi bike guru here I'm master wheel builder and you can cross lace any wheel at any configuration straight lace or even 5 cross it has to do with the spoke tension and the weight of the person ridding if you are building a mini wheel set for 50 lb child for bmx racing straight lace will work fine on the front but on the back wheel you will have to build the drive side of the hub with a 2 cross laceing to handle the torque from the pedaling force so you don't put Undu stress on the drive hub flange and inturn loosen the spokes on the non drive side because of the torque is on one side of the hub and not both. Bike guru.

|

4/10/2013 10:37 AM

Bikeguru wrote:

Hi bike guru here I'm master wheel builder and you can cross lace any wheel at any configuration straight lace or even 5 cross ...more

thats the cross pattern. hes talking about corss lacing as in spokes on right side of hub laced to left side of rim and vice versa

|

9/27/2017 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2017 3:35 PM

Bikeguru wrote:

Hi bike guru here I'm master wheel builder and you can cross lace any wheel at any configuration straight lace or even 5 cross ...more

Hey BG, ike hea. Im wondering cuz i see a bunch of odyssey rims laced with a certain pattern r they supposed to b laced that way or is it cuz the person didnt see the pattern? Im not talken about 2x-5x, Wat im talken about is if u look at any other rim its laced from say leftside of hub to righthand side of rim, and the spokes go in a pattern of 1 spoke from 1 side of the hub then 1 spoke from the other side of the hub an continues like this all the way aroun. Now ive been seeing odyssey rims laced with 1 spoke from 1 side then 2 spokes from the other side then 1 from the side first started with, which is correct?
Heres som pics so u can see wat im talken about.
1st pic would b any rim.Photo
2nd pic is wat im seeing alot of wit odyssey rims.
Photo

|

9/27/2017 10:42 PM

Bikeguru wrote:

izzo wrote:

Hey BG, ike hea. Im wondering cuz i see a bunch of odyssey rims laced with a certain pattern r they supposed to b laced that ...more

That'll put awkward stresses on the spokes, nipples, and rim. As mentioned in this thread, you should only cross lace if the rim is designed for it. And standard 3x is the strongest lacing pattern for your average flange size

|

9/28/2017 9:19 AM

Bikeguru wrote:

izzo wrote:

Hey BG, ike hea. Im wondering cuz i see a bunch of odyssey rims laced with a certain pattern r they supposed to b laced that ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

That'll put awkward stresses on the spokes, nipples, and rim. As mentioned in this thread, you should only cross lace if the ...more

My point isnt tha 3x (3 cross), both of the rims in tha pics can r dun in 3x. Its hard to explain without showing but thats the best way for me to explain it. Ok picture 2 rims laced with 3x pattern, now 1 rim has 2 of the spokes comin from tha non driveside (left) n goin to the right hand side of the rim then 2 of the spokes comin from the driveside (right) n goin to tha left side of the rim if u look u will see wen the spokes get to tha rim it will go 1 from the right side of the hub then 1 from left side of the hub then 1 from the right side again then 1 from the left side again its like they alternate. Now wat im seeing in the way odyssey rims r laced is 1 spoke come from the right side, then 2 spokes from the left side, then 1 spoke from the right both r still laced with 3x.

|

9/28/2017 9:34 AM

It's weaker. The spokes are pulling differently. They should all be pulling the same force. Plus the rim won't be drilled for the spokes to be laced like that

|