Crossroads

Related:
Create New Tag

8/30/2020 12:07 PM

I recently at 51 decided to get back into BMX as some of you know. Since Father's Day actually. Guys I'm not sure freestyle is what I was looking for. I really want to race again.

So now I'm $6-700 in a build (50% complete) and I want to say the hell with it and get a race bike. That's another $800. Anyone have a race bike that's interested in a complete Kink Titan II (only 50% badass parts)?

|

8/30/2020 4:49 PM

I don’t believe we have a single racer member here, but maybe someone can make a deal with you.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/30/2020 5:08 PM

It's funny to think about how we used the same bike for everything in the 80s. Racing, flat, dirt and vert.

|

8/30/2020 5:48 PM

Do you want to get back into full-on competitive racing? Cuz even freestyle bikes can run around tracks perfectly fine.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/30/2020 5:53 PM

There was a guy on here years ago, he might still be around, but he posted that he took his trails bike to his first race and I think he said he won or came second. You could always build up a bike like that that’s not full on race but longer tt/CS and kinda light

|

8/30/2020 6:04 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Do you want to get back into full-on competitive racing? Cuz even freestyle bikes can run around tracks perfectly fine.

I've considered that.

|

8/30/2020 6:10 PM

cky199 wrote:

There was a guy on here years ago, he might still be around, but he posted that he took his trails bike to his first race and I think he said he won or came second. You could always build up a bike like that that’s not full on race but longer tt/CS and kinda light

I'm leaning towards a full on race bike (complete) or build. I have all winter to do it. I was just wanting to recoup some of what I've spent already.

|

8/30/2020 11:36 PM

Funny timing, I just finally made it out to my first race of the year yesterday. Riding an old GT frame from the 90s. I’m not fast, but I made it to the main and had fun. racing and freestyle are obviously different, but there are skills the translate between the two.

You don’t need to spend big bucks at all on a race bike just to get out there and play around at the local. You can definitely at least turn some practice laps on whatever you have.

|

8/31/2020 4:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2020 4:43 AM

cky199 wrote:

I don't know if you are referring to me, but I did that a year ago-it was parents night at the track but I accidentally signed up for just regular races and not the "parents race" so I went up against guys who have been doing it for a long time, and still ended up with a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd in my races.

That last one would've been a win but I was in 2nd and got cocky pumping through the 3rd straight (all rollers) and ended up pumping hard enough to jump most of one and landed front wheel as I was starting to pass the guy for first. Ended up losing all my speed and having to crank as hard as I could to finish 3rd.

I'm not complaining, one of the guys RIGHT before that last race asked if I ever raced, and when I said "no I haven't" he said when he saw my bike he was worried because I was "one of those freestyle guys-usually they do really well because of the ramp skills"

Ultimately my freestyle rig did just fine out there-ran 28/9. It was fun. I would do some practice nights, but the racing aspect is not for me. I would rather do time trials too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura