Cruisers....

Related:
Create New Tag

1/30/2011 4:11 AM

Anyone here rock a 24in BMX cruiser? And if so which one? I want a bigger bike cause I'm kinda big, so I wanted to build up a custom 21in TT BMX bike, then I was thinking maybe a 24in cruiser would be better suited for my needs, ie; hill bombing and assorted off road goodness. Then I got to thinking if I'm going for a bike with 24inch wheels, why half ass it and just get a full 26inch wheeled bike? (Mountain bike, dirt jumper, etc. ) My problem is I live in a mountainous region of Vermont. Either you're going up or down here. Nothing is flat here. This is serious mountain bike territory. Seeing a BMX is a rare thing indeed because you're not getting very far on a singlespeed here. I've owned mountainbikes before but I really only feel comfortable on a BMX, so I thought a 24in cruiser would be a good compromise, but it seems like if you're going to ride a 24in, you may as well ride a 26in. Your thoughts?

|

1/30/2011 4:22 AM

24'' looks fun, a mix between bmx and mtb. But dont get a model c or some other sort of cruiser, build a ns suburban, traffic or majesty with a trail blade or ns fork.
Here are some rigid mtbs for inspiration
Photo
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Photo
Photo
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Photo
Photo
Photo
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]Photo
Photo
Photo

Here are some completes
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58194
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58195

|

1/30/2011 4:37 AM

Ooooh, those are really sexy. Why don't you like the Sunday Model C cruiser? Those bikes pictured would do the trick nicely. DK makes a rigid dirt jumper called the asterik. The 2011 model looks really nice. What do you think of that?

|

1/30/2011 4:53 AM

cleanbmx wrote:

Ooooh, those are really sexy. Why don't you like the Sunday Model C cruiser? Those bikes pictured would do the trick nicely. DK makes a rigid dirt jumper called the asterik. The 2011 model looks really nice. What do you think of that?

the model c is on the heavy side and im not a big fan of the cross bars. the dk looks alright but i would get a NS (polish brand) http://nsbikes.com/. holy 1 is the best bet for your bucks, ridgid 24'' with diskbrakes. Look on the website and you have an overview of all models and distributors.

|

1/30/2011 6:37 AM

cleanbmx wrote:

Ooooh, those are really sexy. Why don't you like the Sunday Model C cruiser? Those bikes pictured would do the trick nicely. DK makes a rigid dirt jumper called the asterik. The 2011 model looks really nice. What do you think of that?

If you are getting in to the 26 inch dirt jumpers, look at the Specialized P series.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkFamily.jsp?sid=11P.Bikes&scid=1004

They have a 24 inch that is pretty nice too. Check your LBS and see if they have anything. Also, why not do what I do? Have a bike for each thing. I have a BMX, an MTB, an old road bike, and I just got a Cyclocross/touring type of bike.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/30/2011 6:52 AM

Liquid Bikes
I have one of these right now, easily one of the funnest bikes I have ever owned.
|

1/30/2011 7:41 AM

idk anything about mtbs and shit but i know its really expesive. i was at my local shop with my friend and some guy comes up on a mtb with 25 / 9 gearing and im like wtf cuz ive never seen anything like this b4. and he knows a guy who works there (the guys who works there used to rode mtb but then started riding bmx. so he was talking about mtb stuff with the guy and he said he got new forks and theyy were $840. im like holy shit.

|

1/30/2011 7:54 AM

i like too bike wrote:

idk anything about mtbs and shit but i know its really expesive. i was at my local shop with my friend and some guy comes up on a mtb with 25 / 9 gearing and im like wtf cuz ive never seen anything like this b4. and he knows a guy who works there (the guys who works there used to rode mtb but then started riding bmx. so he was talking about mtb stuff with the guy and he said he got new forks and theyy were $840. im like holy shit.

a friend of mine bought a pair of fox 831 when they came out and think they were somewhere around 1400usd smile So 800 is quite normal to pay for a set of nice fork.

|

1/30/2011 8:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2011 8:30 AM

i like too bike wrote:

idk anything about mtbs and shit but i know its really expesive. i was at my local shop with my friend and some guy comes up on a mtb with 25 / 9 gearing and im like wtf cuz ive never seen anything like this b4. and he knows a guy who works there (the guys who works there used to rode mtb but then started riding bmx. so he was talking about mtb stuff with the guy and he said he got new forks and theyy were $840. im like holy shit.

Suspension forks I assume? Yea, those aren't cheap. If you keep it rigid they aren't too bad. Hence why I suggest looking into something like the P2 from Specialized. Has a suspension fork, and everything you would need to get cruising, and is only about $980 USD. Not too bad to get going.

Also, keep in mind that the gearing is scaled back, so it is easier to pedal (25/12) because those wheels are bigger and typically harder to get going right away. You can easier change it for like 5 bucks if you have the tools though, as it is a cog style cassette. Any Shimano style cassette cog would work, and you could bring it down to an 11 I think. Otherwise look into a diff back hub for smaller gearing. Remember, with those bigger wheels, starting off will be harder on ANY 24 or 26 inch dirt jumper.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/30/2011 8:35 AM

i like too bike wrote:

idk anything about mtbs and shit but i know its really expesive. i was at my local shop with my friend and some guy comes up on a mtb with 25 / 9 gearing and im like wtf cuz ive never seen anything like this b4. and he knows a guy who works there (the guys who works there used to rode mtb but then started riding bmx. so he was talking about mtb stuff with the guy and he said he got new forks and theyy were $840. im like holy shit.

dave lawrence wrote:

Suspension forks I assume? Yea, those aren't cheap. If you keep it rigid they aren't too bad. Hence why I suggest looking into something like the P2 from Specialized. Has a suspension fork, and everything you would need to get cruising, and is only about $980 USD. Not too bad to get going.

Also, keep in mind that the gearing is scaled back, so it is easier to pedal (25/12) because those wheels are bigger and typically harder to get going right away. You can easier change it for like 5 bucks if you have the tools though, as it is a cog style cassette. Any Shimano style cassette cog would work, and you could bring it down to an 11 I think. Otherwise look into a diff back hub for smaller gearing. Remember, with those bigger wheels, starting off will be harder on ANY 24 or 26 inch dirt jumper.

P2 is a really nice bike if your into dirt jumping but its not the ideal street machine.

|

1/30/2011 8:39 AM

|

1/30/2011 8:45 AM

Here is my WTP Avenger. It is fun to ride if I am feeling mellow, but is is not good for tricks.
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

1/30/2011 8:47 AM

CARL wrote:

24'' looks fun, a mix between bmx and mtb. But dont get a model c or some other sort of cruiser, build a ns suburban, traffic or majesty with a trail blade or ns fork.
Here are some rigid mtbs for inspiration
Photo
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Photo
Photo
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Photo
Photo
Photo
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]Photo
Photo
Photo

Here are some completes
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58194
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58195

these look soooo sexy!

|

sittin on the porch with a fresh pair a shoes~!

refs: hunthobb2

1/30/2011 9:24 AM

I've had an eastern nighttrain for close to 4 years, simply one of the most solid bikes out there. its a 26" but as a reference it doesn't feel good for tricks. i just flow trails on it. for a plus though, its the smoothest riding bike ever and the larger wheels boost your confidence. i easily hit 15-20 foot doubles on that bike without a care.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

1/30/2011 9:44 AM

This is almost the EXACT setup that my friend got, down to the wheels and stuff, but the fork is red on his

Photo

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207


First MOTM 12/2010

1/30/2011 9:47 AM

my friend has one because hes 6' 7", and its pretty fun to ride, i almost 360d on it haha

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

1/30/2011 9:48 AM

cschmall wrote:

This is almost the EXACT setup that my friend got, down to the wheels and stuff, but the fork is red on his

Photo

doberman pinscher?

|

1/30/2011 9:49 AM

cschmall wrote:

This is almost the EXACT setup that my friend got, down to the wheels and stuff, but the fork is red on his

Photo

CARL wrote:

doberman pinscher?

das a black market. it has the black market brake stay. and i can see part of a gun on the headtube.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

1/30/2011 9:53 AM

cschmall wrote:

This is almost the EXACT setup that my friend got, down to the wheels and stuff, but the fork is red on his

Photo

CARL wrote:

doberman pinscher?

cupovjoe wrote:

das a black market. it has the black market brake stay. and i can see part of a gun on the headtube.

doesnt look like a mob :s

|

1/30/2011 9:53 AM

cschmall wrote:

This is almost the EXACT setup that my friend got, down to the wheels and stuff, but the fork is red on his

Photo

CARL wrote:

doberman pinscher?

cupovjoe wrote:

das a black market. it has the black market brake stay. and i can see part of a gun on the headtube.

yep.

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207


First MOTM 12/2010

1/30/2011 9:55 AM

CARL wrote:

doberman pinscher?

cupovjoe wrote:

das a black market. it has the black market brake stay. and i can see part of a gun on the headtube.

CARL wrote:

doesnt look like a mob :s

its a riot, thats why tongue

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207


First MOTM 12/2010

1/30/2011 9:57 AM

And I'm actually considering buying a DJ bike too... just because its so much different than riding a bmx bike, I was looking at the Rocky Mountain Flow DJ.

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207


First MOTM 12/2010

1/30/2011 9:57 AM

cupovjoe wrote:

das a black market. it has the black market brake stay. and i can see part of a gun on the headtube.

CARL wrote:

doesnt look like a mob :s

cschmall wrote:

its a riot, thats why tongue

oh i see tongue really nice bike though

|

1/30/2011 9:59 AM

cupovjoe wrote:

das a black market. it has the black market brake stay. and i can see part of a gun on the headtube.

CARL wrote:

doesnt look like a mob :s

cschmall wrote:

its a riot, thats why tongue

mob and riot are like the cult os and the cult deathrow silly willy. same bike different manufacturing country.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

1/30/2011 10:00 AM

CARL wrote:

doesnt look like a mob :s

cschmall wrote:

its a riot, thats why tongue

CARL wrote:

oh i see tongue really nice bike though

Yeah, he literally JUST got it built up, he got a new fork, bars, front wheel and cranks, I told him he should have just bought a bmx bike, because the only reason he did that was because he wanted to grind after trying grinding on my bike (for the week or so that had pegs on)

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207


First MOTM 12/2010

1/30/2011 10:01 AM

cschmall wrote:

And I'm actually considering buying a DJ bike too... just because its so much different than riding a bmx bike, I was looking at the Rocky Mountain Flow DJ.

http://www.easternbikes.com/products/completes/2011/85

better quality. better fork. imo argyle is better than dj2 any day.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

1/30/2011 10:04 AM

cschmall wrote:

And I'm actually considering buying a DJ bike too... just because its so much different than riding a bmx bike, I was looking at the Rocky Mountain Flow DJ.

build your own smile look into ns, awsome frames for street and dirt.

If i was building a dj i would def build a ns majesty, looks sexy in green
Photopg

|

1/30/2011 10:06 AM

Irony of o.p.'s snide coment on my calafia page is strong.

|

1/30/2011 10:13 AM

cschmall wrote:

And I'm actually considering buying a DJ bike too... just because its so much different than riding a bmx bike, I was looking at the Rocky Mountain Flow DJ.

cupovjoe wrote:

http://www.easternbikes.com/products/completes/2011/85

better quality. better fork. imo argyle is better than dj2 any day.

Yeah, I don't know yet even if I'm gonna buy one though, there's just things that I need to prioritize before I buy another bike haha, like getting a car! And CARL, I would... but that would be too much money for me! And that does look sick too.

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207


First MOTM 12/2010

1/30/2011 10:21 AM

cschmall wrote:

And I'm actually considering buying a DJ bike too... just because its so much different than riding a bmx bike, I was looking at the Rocky Mountain Flow DJ.

cupovjoe wrote:

http://www.easternbikes.com/products/completes/2011/85

better quality. better fork. imo argyle is better than dj2 any day.

argyle>dj

|