Spoke Recommedations?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/25/2018 12:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/25/2018 12:50 PM

Hey guys, so I just got back from my LBS to see if they could true my wheel (I know I’m a fag for not doing it myself) but when they gave it back to me they said that the seam was split and I need a new rim. So I was thinking about the cult match rim, it’s in my price range and I have some cult parts that have withstood a lot of stress. Does anyone have any opinions on these?

|

8/25/2018 12:49 PM

Aero rims are almost exclusively for the front. So if it's for the front it'll be fine unless you're doing big drops or land front wheel heavy a lot. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for the rear

|

8/25/2018 12:54 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Aero rims are almost exclusively for the front. So if it's for the front it'll be fine unless you're doing big drops or land ...more

Yeah, unfortunately I neglected to read that part of the description before I made this thread, do you havyou any opinions on the match?

|

8/25/2018 1:23 PM

Pretty average I guess, not the strongest, but not the weakest. For the same kinda price you can get a bsd nasa, which is basically a g sport ribcage rip off

|

8/25/2018 2:47 PM

Yeah get a BSD NASA rim... it's cheesy they stole it from Gsport though...

But yeah, go with the NASA rim...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/25/2018 2:51 PM

Ok, what would you guys recommend, the rollcage is also in my price range or the NASA? I have heard that the gsport has a lifetime warranty but nothing about the Nasa

|

8/25/2018 3:07 PM

Sun envy are the only rims I'd ride.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/25/2018 3:33 PM

G sport rims don't have a lifetime warranty. The rollcage rim is good. That's what I use, but I think it's over priced (in most shops it's the same price, give or take, as the ribcage). The ribcage is the better one, made out of a "secret" material which is apparently a lot stronger.
So, I think either the nasa, or ribcage. But it depends what price you can get a rollcage, and which brand you'd rather support.

|

8/25/2018 4:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/25/2018 4:09 PM

No company would put a lifetime warrenty on a rim that would be insanity , I’ve rode all the g sport rims , you can’t go wrong with any of them , if you want to protect your rim in the future it’s also a good idea to ride high psi , low psi makes you the rim more vulnerable to getting smoked on something

|

8/25/2018 4:30 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

G sport rims don't have a lifetime warranty. The rollcage rim is good. That's what I use, but I think it's over priced (in ...more

The roll cage I’m looking at is 70 dollars free shipping, is there anywhere I can get a rib cage fire near that?

|

8/25/2018 5:10 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

G sport rims don't have a lifetime warranty. The rollcage rim is good. That's what I use, but I think it's over priced (in ...more

Guyman22 wrote:

The roll cage I’m looking at is 70 dollars free shipping, is there anywhere I can get a rib cage fire near that?

No. Ribcages are $90

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/25/2018 5:19 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Guyman22 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

No. Ribcages are $90

Didn’t think so lol

|

8/25/2018 5:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/25/2018 5:29 PM

The BSD NASA is literally a Gsport Ribcage replica for a fraction of the price. I abused the crap out of my first set for 2 years & then bought more just because they were so stiff and durable.

10/10 would recommend

The Rollcage is also a good rim. Not as strong as the NASA but it's also a bit lighter than the NASA.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/25/2018 5:36 PM

Ok so it looks like the NASA rim + spokes and nipples is gonna be cheaper than the gsport with spokes and nipples bought separate

|

8/25/2018 9:34 PM

odyssey hazard lite or alienation 7up they're cheaper but high tier quality. significantly weaker from a scientists standpoint but they're known tank rims

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/25/2018 11:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/25/2018 11:06 PM

I rode the Cult Match front and rear(they just added the warranty this month) The front wheel is a complete and it's fine and still very true and I don't have to true it often, the rear one was hand laced by Albe's to a Clutch V2, cracked 6 months after getting it, replaced it with a Gsport Ribcage 3 weeks ago and its doing fine so far.

|

8/26/2018 9:52 AM

I semi tacoed a Cult Match , but I was missing like 4 spokes and landed sideways ( flat but still ) .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/26/2018 11:47 AM

Going on to a different topic with out starting a new thread, can anyone tell me the spoke sizes I will need to build this with a mission deploy and the nasa rim? None of the spoke calculators have the deploy hub and the hand measurements that I made seem a bit off

|

8/26/2018 12:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/26/2018 12:27 PM

Guyman22 wrote:

Going on to a different topic with out starting a new thread, can anyone tell me the spoke sizes I will need to build this ...more

Measure your currenrt spokes then look your rim,if the spoke holes were aligned or left flangle hub/ left side rim you will probably need some 2mm longer spokes maybe 4 mm if your old rim was really aero), to compensate for the cross over lacing of the nasa rim.
Not an exact science but I guess thtat's why spokes only came each two millimeters.

Excellent rim choice btw, I ride one on the rear and this thing is unbeattable, I'm heavy, I do a shit ton of bumpjumps and case stuffs on purpose, I also case way too much coping trying to boost some flat quarters and currently trying flairs and I didn't even bent a rim wall ((not even a little !) and thx to cross over lacing I don't have to make it straight that often considering the daily beating.

|

8/26/2018 12:37 PM

182mm as an educated guess

|

8/26/2018 12:51 PM

i just googled the hub, the shell is the same as the colony coaster, so you'll need some 184 and 186 on nds with the nasa rim

|

8/26/2018 1:25 PM

Francky wrote:

i just googled the hub, the shell is the same as the colony coaster, so you'll need some 184 and 186 on nds with the nasa rim
...more

Thanks man, my measurements were waaayyyy off, the spoke calculator i was using told me 210 and 211 mm

|

8/26/2018 1:55 PM

Ok last question I swear, what kind of spokes do you guys recommend? I am looking at the shadow triple butted spokes cause they are on sale

|

8/26/2018 4:45 PM

Rainbow titanium spokes , get that rotational weight down

|

8/26/2018 6:35 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Rainbow titanium spokes , get that rotational weight down

Tee Hee

|

8/26/2018 10:39 PM

Guyman22 wrote:

Ok last question I swear, what kind of spokes do you guys recommend? I am looking at the shadow triple butted spokes cause ...more

Don’t get butted spokes. Usa brand spokes are fine but dt swiss are supposed to be nicer. There isn’t much difference except the dt swiss spoke heads sit in the hub flange a little better.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/26/2018 10:44 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The ribcage has a warranty, or at least used to. I broke one once back when george french used to use vital, they were quick to send me a new one.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/26/2018 11:11 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

The ribcage has a warranty, or at least used to. I broke one once back when george french used to use vital, they were quick ...more

when I dinged up my Rollcage years ago they offered me crash replacement but I opted for new Ribcages instead, so yeah they do or at least did. Or were selective, idk

but yeah for spokes I’d say DTs, they’re supposed to be really good and I really like them. Primo ones are okay too, they’re what I use when I don’t have access to DTs but need to fix my wheel and they hold up. I feel like the Shadow ones break easier but idk if that’s just me or not

|

8/26/2018 11:36 PM

I think the g sport warranty depends who you talk to. I doubt a shop would warranty rims, but maybe if you go direct they'd be more likely to help out?

Like most things in the cycle industry, 99% of spokes are identical, just rebranded. Dt Swiss and sapim are spoke specific companies, any bmx brand will just be rebranded and made by someone else. Over here halo spokes are cheap and reliable. I've got proper butted spokes and haven't had a problem with them

|

8/27/2018 1:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 1:13 AM

DT's have a really solid reputation for rims and spokes, not sure if they do BMX rims though. In my experience the strongest rim ever is the hazard lite. Ran that thing for 5 years, learned 180s with plenty of sideways landings, many nose heavy landings and plenty of sketchy grind attempts. It's even missing a spoke but has never gone out of true by much at all. I gave it to a friend when I got my new wheels and he is still running it with no issues.

I'm running stolen chambers at the moment which are suppose to be one of the strongest rims on the market, time will tell.

|