Cult Match/Primo Mix hub first impression

Related:
Create New Tag

8/2/2013 10:25 PM

Well i finally got my Cult Match hub. As most of you know, it has the same internals as a Primo Mix hub, which is great already from what i have heard from many people. I laced it myself to an Odyssey Quadrant rim with 14G spokes. It is a big flanged hub and that i like. Must say it really does sound cool. I really like this. Haha i usually dont care how my hub sounds but this one sounds absolutely epic. It kinda reminds me of some kind of weird spaceship lol like a spaceship if it were run on a 4 cylinder XD haha It took me a couple minutes to lace it up and a few more to true it and then re center it. I finally got to ride it and i had switched from a Quando Hub that skipped from time to time and had a lot more slack than this one. This is almost instant engagement and i truly enjoy it. At first it is kinda weird on fakies and such, but i got used to it after a few. It didnt skip after a solid 2 hour ride. This hub doesnt seem to spin super fast, but it might be the bearings breaking in or something haha it rolls really well though when you are on it. I am glad i made this purchase so far! If any of you are thinking about getting one, it seems as amazing as the hype explained! haha Hopefully it keeps going for a long time, as im sure it will.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/3/2013 2:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2013 2:23 AM

I just ordered the match wheel on Wednesday, along with a sunday knox 28t.. took me a few days to decide what to get.. looked at the cinema and odyssey wheels, and also the primo balance, since i don't know how to lace a wheel yet and just really wanted a replacement for my chrome hazard lite that got stolen.. when i saw that it came in chrome and the hub uses mix internals, i went ahead and ordered.. and thanks to the good fellas at albe's, who advised on the ins and outs of wheel specs.. it should be a nice upgrade.. cheers, enjoy!!

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

8/3/2013 2:29 AM

You can NEVER go wrong with a mix. I've had several hubs and the mix topped them all.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs

8/3/2013 3:04 PM

I may have to get a cunt hub in the future

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

8/3/2013 3:11 PM

just for future reference @maximusbikes bearings roll for ages when spun when theyre fucked. they shouldnt roll for ages if theyre in good nick

|

8/3/2013 4:13 PM

Caelum Persson wrote:

just for future reference @maximusbikes bearings roll for ages when spun when theyre fucked. they shouldnt roll for ages if theyre in good nick

Yeah i know haha its all good! I didnt expect it to do that lol

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/3/2013 4:14 PM

OneEyeIlluminatiGuy wrote:

I may have to get a cunt hub in the future

Do it man. I know you hate them, but it is really primo. and i think that cult thing would come off if you wanted it to lol

|

8/3/2013 4:32 PM

Caelum Persson wrote:

Guess the bearings in my friend's brand new Tree hub were fucked then. sad

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/3/2013 5:05 PM

Caelum Persson wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Guess the bearings in my friend's brand new Tree hub were fucked then. sad

Idk about that man haha i got a new hub a while ago and it would spin for ages. It really depends on the bearings. haha Some bearings are different

|

8/3/2013 5:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2013 5:11 PM

Jèff_Béckförd wrote:

I just ordered the match wheel on Wednesday, along with a sunday knox 28t.. took me a few days to decide what to get.. looked at the cinema and odyssey wheels, and also the primo balance, since i don't know how to lace a wheel yet and just really wanted a replacement for my chrome hazard lite that got stolen.. when i saw that it came in chrome and the hub uses mix internals, i went ahead and ordered.. and thanks to the good fellas at albe's, who advised on the ins and outs of wheel specs.. it should be a nice upgrade.. cheers, enjoy!!

http://www.gsport.co.uk/custom/wheel_build/wheels.html
there is a guide that should really help you on lacing a wheel

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

8/3/2013 5:17 PM

I'm riding a Primo mix now and it's a pretty good hub.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/3/2013 5:41 PM

Jèff_Béckförd wrote:

jamiespadina wrote:

Ahh i like that tutorial a lot. this one is better for 36 spoked wheels, although i have memorized how to do it now: http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

I like that because it uses the color coordination making it easier to learn.

|

8/3/2013 7:17 PM

I think I might get one of those in the future. They seem pretty good and are pretty cheap.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/3/2013 7:40 PM

Had that hub for about... i dont even know maybe 6-10 months? lol idk. but i love it, never had a single problem with it, have it laced to an Odyssey hazard lite. love it.

I was wondering, tho ive never checked...does it have reversible pawls? cuz im getting new cranks soon and would like to switch my drivetrain to left side. might save my chain a bit

|

Insta: @devicacy

8/3/2013 7:42 PM

realityisajoke wrote:

Had that hub for about... i dont even know maybe 6-10 months? lol idk. but i love it, never had a single problem with it, have it laced to an Odyssey hazard lite. love it.

I was wondering, tho ive never checked...does it have reversible pawls? cuz im getting new cranks soon and would like to switch my drivetrain to left side. might save my chain a bit

sadly no.. but i also ride my pegs on the same side as my drivetrain and ive had the mds sprocket and ive never broken a chain or anything.. might wanna look into it... it saves me all the time...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

8/3/2013 7:42 PM

realityisajoke wrote:

Driver is reversible, hub itself is not.

|

8/3/2013 7:43 PM

realityisajoke wrote:

Nope i dont think it has revesible pawls..

|

8/3/2013 7:47 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

sadly no.. but i also ride my pegs on the same side as my drivetrain and ive had the mds sprocket and ive never broken a chain or anything.. might wanna look into it... it saves me all the time...

i'd love to if i had the cash, hah. thanks tho ill definitely consider that when bills finally get out my way

|

8/3/2013 7:48 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Driver is reversible, hub itself is not.

does that mean that if i somehow changed out the pawls, i could run it oppo? can you even do that?

|

8/3/2013 7:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2013 7:52 PM

Primo drivers should be reversible. I know mine is anyways. And that's kinda suprising Deviant. I have a 9t Ti driver and an MDS and I grind on the same side as my drive as well and snap my chain pretty often. My wheel also isn't slammed either, so that's probably why. I'm considering going LHD just because it's so annoying. Lol

|

8/3/2013 7:57 PM

-Havok- wrote:

Primo drivers should be reversible. I know mine is anyways. And that's kinda suprising Deviant. I have a 9t Ti driver and an MDS and I grind on the same side as my drive as well and snap my chain pretty often. My wheel also isn't slammed either, so that's probably why. I'm considering going LHD just because it's so annoying. Lol

mine isnt slammed either... hmm it might also be because i have a somewhat heavier duty chain.. (drop buster) but my guard goes over the top of my chain and i never hit my actual chain on anything... though recently i have been pretty clean with my grinds...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

8/3/2013 9:58 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

That tutorial's awesome.. i'm probably gonna use it to build a front wheel soon.. i'll probably fuck it up, but gotta start somewhere.. thanks.

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

8/3/2013 10:28 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

mine isnt slammed either... hmm it might also be because i have a somewhat heavier duty chain.. (drop buster) but my guard goes over the top of my chain and i never hit my actual chain on anything... though recently i have been pretty clean with my grinds...

Yeah maybe. My dropouts are small as shit so about half the chain is below. Think I'm gonna have to finally get a half link chain to solve my problems. That or just a single half link to make up the difference. I'm not very clean with grinds to say the least. Main reason why I still run a 14mm front hub and don't have female hubs. Lol. Only thing I'm really worried about is my driver cuz it'd be nearly impossible to find another one.

|

8/3/2013 11:17 PM

Caelum Persson wrote:

Sorry mate, but this is bollocks

|

8/4/2013 1:15 AM

Caelum Persson wrote:

jawn wrote:

Sorry mate, but this is bollocks

absolutely not. bearings shouldnt spin freely and if they do somethings wrong.

|

8/4/2013 8:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2013 8:01 PM

Sorry champ, but that's bollocks again. Here's the facts of the matter.

They should not have any PLAY (looseness). If they have any play then they are either worn out, or if new, made poorly. A sealed cartridge bearing by design should spin freely without any play. The play is the indication that something is wrong here, not that it spins freely. If it spins freely and there is no play then you have a bearing that's exactly as it was intended to be.

|

8/4/2013 8:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2013 8:16 PM

jawn wrote:

Sorry champ, but that's bollocks again. Here's the facts of the matter.

They should not have any PLAY (looseness). If they have any play then they are either worn out, or if new, made poorly. A sealed cartridge bearing by design should spin freely without any play. The play is the indication that something is wrong here, not that it spins freely. If it spins freely and there is no play then you have a bearing that's exactly as it was intended to be.

This. If that was true then every single hub I've ever used or seen has had bad bearings.

Bearings don't really spin "freely" when they're in you're hand and out of the hub, but when they spin "freely" when mounted then they're working exactly how they're supposed to.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital