back wheel help..!?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/10/2013 9:37 PM

So my fairly new cult coaster makes a weird screechy see sawing kinda sound whenever I'm rolling on my bike.

It doesn't make any sound what so ever if I just lift the back wheel up when I'm off my bike and pedal it forward with my hand, so it's only when I'm on it for some reason.

I don't use pedal pressure and my fakies are dialled and even if I did use a bit, the bearings aren't supposed to blow out like the older coasters.

Also, I don't know if it's normal that the hub doesn't spin for very long at all compared to my front wheel, I'm not sure if that's a problem or not.

& I've noticed that my hub ghost pedals, and if I turn my cranks backwards, the wheel goes back as well. Not sure if that's normal either?

By the way, if you look at my bike check "DAKOTA" you'll notice that I run heaps of slack in my chain is that couldn't really be the problem..

Any help would be awesome smile

|

12/10/2013 9:41 PM

Axel could be to tight

|

Bike Check [url=http://www.vitalbmx.com/community/cole-rides,108028/setup,86510]

Insta --------------- cole_rides

12/10/2013 10:08 PM

its cult what do you expect and it just came out probably has allot of bugs

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

12/10/2013 10:09 PM

cole_rides wrote:

Axel could be to tight

Just checked man, nah. Thanks though!

|

12/10/2013 10:10 PM

I think it could be because of the spokes being loose? And the pressure of me on my bike pushing them down?

However I use to have loose spokes on my old bike that didn't make any sounds

|

12/10/2013 10:11 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

its cult what do you expect and it just came out probably has allot of bugs

People have been riding then for almost a year with no problems. They tested the shit out of them

|

12/10/2013 10:19 PM

Sounds like spokes to me. SNManimal has the cult coaster and he had ghost pedal issues too.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

12/10/2013 10:23 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Sounds like spokes to me. SNManimal has the cult coaster and he had ghost pedal issues too.

Yeah I think that might be it man. Btw I've had the wheel for less then a month and the spokes are loose as fuck. Is that normal when you get a custom wheel? Whereas I've had a complete front wheel for half a year and the spokes are still super tight

|

12/10/2013 10:32 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

D.M.O. wrote:

Yeah I think that might be it man. Btw I've had the wheel for less then a month and the spokes are loose as fuck. Is that normal when you get a custom wheel? Whereas I've had a complete front wheel for half a year and the spokes are still super tight

Sounds like whoever built the wheel didn't stress test it and readjust things afterwards. go around the wheel starting at the valve and quarter turn each nipple till snug. should eliminate the noise.

|

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

12/10/2013 10:56 PM

D.M.O. wrote:

Every wheel's spokes will come loose over a short period of time, spokes stretch & need to bed into the hub shell, so they will come loose. Just do as said above, go around the wheel and tighten each a quarter turn, repeat a few times until they're snug. TAKE YOUR TIME! the longer you take, the less out of true & better tensioned it will be.

as for ghost pedaling, driver might be too tight. not too sure on how the cult coaster is, but I'd imagine it has a screw on locknut? just loosen it slightly and see if that does anything

|

12/10/2013 11:06 PM

@broken
@sunday

Thanks a lot g's!

You guys are really helpful! I'll be sure to pick up a spoke wrench tomorrow from my lbs and get going. The ghost pedalling isn't really that big of a deal but I'll try and loosen the cone nuts in the back hub a little bit and see if that stops it.

|

12/10/2013 11:23 PM

D.M.O. wrote:

@broken
@sunday

Thanks a lot g's!

You guys are really helpful! I'll be sure to pick up a spoke wrench tomorrow from my lbs and get going. The ghost pedalling isn't really that big of a deal but I'll try and loosen the cone nuts in the back hub a little bit and see if that stops it.

No problem homie, shred on.

|

12/11/2013 8:53 PM

I picked up a spoke wrench at my lbs this morning and finished tightening them and thankfully all the weird noise is gone!

However, for some reason now my back wheel is wobbling from side to side enough to hit the frame and it only started after I finished tightening the spokes. Everything's tight at the back....

??

|

12/11/2013 8:57 PM

true your wheels
i had the same problem (loose spokes causing noise) after i laced my coaster (first time lacing a wheel)
i just have to tighten every month or so and it goes away
remember to grease monthly or more often!, it increases life span and keeps it running smooth

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/11/2013 9:02 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

true your wheels
i had the same problem (loose spokes causing noise) after i laced my coaster (first time lacing a wheel)
i just have to tighten every month or so and it goes away
remember to grease monthly or more often!, it increases life span and keeps it running smooth

Yeah I just tighten them there all good. Thanks man!

It not that anymore though. For some reason my whole back wheel is wobbling like I haven't tightened the axles. But they're tight and the whole wheels still loose

|

12/11/2013 9:07 PM

the wobble is because your wheels arent perfectly strait anymore
thats when truing comees in

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/11/2013 9:08 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

the wobble is because your wheels arent perfectly strait anymore
thats when truing comees in

Nah like the actual hub is wobbling. The wheels straight man

|