What brands better Cult or Kink?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/19/2015 1:54 PM

Whats up guys, im looking into buying my first Bmx but im debating between the 2015 Kink Gap and 2015 Cult Gateway. I want a light bike, but im not sure how much the Cult weighs. In general which of the two do you guys think would be a better bike to start with? Im donna buy it through danscomp, if it matters. Thanks for any input guys.

|

7/19/2015 4:12 PM

Does anyone have any input?

|

7/19/2015 4:16 PM

Kink has really good and affordable beginner bikes so id say go with kink. Look into fit and sunday they both make good starter bikes. Ps don't get a bike because of the weight.

|

7/19/2015 4:24 PM

DK helio or x model, GT, Haro, High end mongooses(bikeshop)
profile, Odyssey, Shadow, S/M

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/19/2015 4:34 PM

I would get the Cult because not only is it on sale on Danscomp right now, but it comes with a sealed front hub, where the Kink does not.

Don't worry about weight.

|

7/19/2015 4:40 PM

Ahh skeet skeet wrote:

Kink has really good and affordable beginner bikes so id say go with kink. Look into fit and sunday they both make good ...more

Yea i think im gonna go with the Kink. Its a nice looking bike and its only a ten dollar difference between the Kink and Cult

|

7/19/2015 4:43 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I would get the Cult because not only is it on sale on Danscomp right now, but it comes with a sealed front hub, where the ...more

My bad man but im not sure what a sealed front hub is. If you could explain it to me, i would appreciate it. Im pretty new to bmx, so any insight would be helpful.

|

7/19/2015 4:55 PM

dharma_bum wrote:

My bad man but im not sure what a sealed front hub is. If you could explain it to me, i would appreciate it. Im pretty new to ...more

http://easternbikes.com/sealed-vs-unsealed-hubs/

|

7/19/2015 5:03 PM

dharma_bum wrote:

My bad man but im not sure what a sealed front hub is. If you could explain it to me, i would appreciate it. Im pretty new to ...more

Sealed bearing means the ball bearings are sealed in a cartridge with dust covers, they last longer, don't need much maintenance, are generally smoother/better feeling/roll faster, and are overall better.

photo of sealed bearing in a hub

Unsealed means the ball bearings are loose (which is why some people refer to unsealed as "loose ball bearing") inside the hub or whatever it's in, and are held in place by cone nuts. They're not as bad as everyone thinks, but they do require a lot more maintenance and specific tools to adjust to keep them rolling good and last longer.

photo of unsealed bearings in a hub

Sealed is just much better, but also a little more money ($6 or $7 a hub bearing, so almost $15 to fully replace a sealed hub's bearings) as opposed to around $2 for fully replacing an unsealed hub.

I should also mention that you cannot put sealed bearings in an unsealed hub, and you cannot put unsealed bearings in a sealed hub.

|

7/19/2015 5:12 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Sealed bearing means the ball bearings are sealed in a cartridge with dust covers, they last longer, don't need much ...more

Thanks man, but now im seriously conflicted with what bike to get. I was looking into getting the Kink but after learning what a sealed bearing is, im just not sure anymore.

|

7/19/2015 5:29 PM

I just realized the Kink has chromoly bars, while the Cult only has hi-tensile steel bars (in short, chromoly = stronger, the more chromoly in your bike... The better.

So now I think I'd go with the Kink just because of that personally because you'd be less likely to bend those bars. Also an unsealed hub can be adjusted and is cheaper to replace (Under $60 for good cheap ones) if you did end up destroying the hub.

|

7/19/2015 6:10 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I just realized the Kink has chromoly bars, while the Cult only has hi-tensile steel bars (in short, chromoly = stronger, the ...more

Thanks for the help man, im gonna go with the Kink

|

7/23/2015 2:56 AM

Kink is better they have some of the best aftermarket parts, Cult is mainly a cheap ripoff of Fit

|

The Redneck BMX Rider
Instagram:cruebmx