Cult or Kink complete?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2017 12:26 AM

What's up everyone. So I used to mess around a little on my old mongoose when I was younger and now I want to get back into bmx. I'm 23 and 6' even.

At first I was going to order a WTP crysis complete but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Anybody know when the 2018 line will be released?

Since I couldn't find a WTP I searched through some other bikes. I like the FitBike co completes but the ones I'm interested in are free coasters and I'm not sure I should get one being a beginner. So I've had my eye on the Cult Devotion or the Kink Liberty.

I'm worried about top tube sizes. The cult is 21 and the Kink is 20.85. I think I should be good with either size but I don't have a local bike shop to actually see one in person. Any advice about these bikes would be great and thanks in advance.

Also the cult is about $550, and the Kink is $450.

|

7/20/2017 1:53 AM

Both are good companies . Get what you like ! Doesn't matter too much , both will be good bikes for a beginner again and both sizes are good for you .

I'm 5'10 and ride a 21" frame and will probably drop down to a 20.75" next , as it's a bit roomy . So for you , either or . They both have 9" bars or over I believe so that's something I'd be looking for .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/20/2017 4:59 AM

Cult I think you will be more comfortable on a 21", and the devotion is a better bike.

|

7/20/2017 5:09 AM

Cult no doubt

|

7/20/2017 6:00 AM

What makes the Cult the better bike?

And any thoughts on the Subrosa Malum?

|

7/20/2017 6:04 AM

Malum is a good bike too. The cult and kink are also good. Heres what you look for:
100% crmo frame, bars, fork
Sealed bearings everywhere
double walled rims

After that it's preference, geometry (which you won't know, I wouldn't worry about) and size, color, etc.

|

7/20/2017 7:15 AM

I bought a kink a couple weeks ago, my first bmx in 20 years or so. I knew I'd be upgrading stuff on it anyway, so I didn't want to give more than $500 for a complete. I got the downside, it's a freecoaster. I figure if it's been a while since you've been on a bike, you'll probably get used to whatever you get. Like Nelsdollaz said, look for chromoly everything, sealed bearings and double walled rims, a good foundation to upgrade. If you stick with it you'll want to upgrade things anyway. I've already changed out the cranks on mine, the stock ones are still fine, I just wanted non pinch bolt cranks.

|

7/20/2017 2:14 PM

That's what I figured, it would come down to preference since they're all three 100% chromo, sealed bearings etc. I'll definitely be upgrading it in the future no matter what I get so I guess it comes down to cosmetics at this point.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Subrosa. What do people typically upgrade first or is that all personal preference as well?

|

7/20/2017 2:50 PM

I'd say kink but that's my personal preference, I always loved kink and riding a old kink outfit and love it

|

Ride till you die

7/20/2017 5:07 PM

Tig wrote:

That's what I figured, it would come down to preference since they're all three 100% chromo, sealed bearings etc. I'll ...more

Usually it's just whatever you break first. Haha!

|

7/20/2017 9:05 PM

Tig wrote:

That's what I figured, it would come down to preference since they're all three 100% chromo, sealed bearings etc. I'll ...more

johnnypoopoopants wrote:

Usually it's just whatever you break first. Haha!

Makes sense! Haha.

I'm really liking the 2017 Malum in white.. damn this is a hard decision. I'm wanting to ride ASAP but I don't want to rush it.

|

7/20/2017 10:24 PM

You always could get a used custom for that price Craigslist letgo local bmx Facebook page groups etc.

|

7/26/2017 12:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2017 12:09 AM

acedog890 wrote:

You always could get a used custom for that price Craigslist letgo local bmx Facebook page groups etc.

I thought about that but I have more of a 'built not bought' mindset. I'm the same way with my cars. I would rather build it up from stock.

Almost pulled the trigger on a 2017 Subrosa Malum but I found out the 2018 we the people completes come out next month so I'm going to wait and might get a Crysis

|