Curiosity on stems/building one

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2016 5:20 PM

(DISCLAIMER NOT SURE IF ALLOWED)
So... I'm curious im new into the biking world while im starting my own company. Both for biking and skating GIFTD WORLDWIDE and i want to get into creating stems, does anyone have any clue on how to make or start to make one? I have a CNC Machinist that can do it for me, just wanted some other pointer tips if you yall could help. Also #giftdworldwide !
Instagram
Twitter

|

3/9/2016 5:50 PM

If you do make a thread to advertise your brand, keep it in ONE thread and ONE thread ONLY

Otherwise one of us will have to lock your account since advertising on here is against the rules unless you parter with Vitalbmx and pay to do so. If you're interested in that, you can email Vitalbmx here with any questions. Like I said though, you can have some leeway and make one thread if you decide to do so, but keep it to that thread only.

with that out of the way... I'd imagine making a stem wouldn't be TOO hard. Make a sketch up with all the dimensions, get the proper materials you'd need (Most stems are 6061 aluminum, but some are 7075 or even cast aluminum) and then go to work.

|

3/9/2016 6:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2016 6:35 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If you do make a thread to advertise your brand, keep it in ONE thread and ONE thread ONLY

Otherwise one of us will have to ...more

This.

Having someone who can create 3d models (usually Industrial Designers are good at this)-a buddy of mine is in school for it and designed and 3d printed a plastic version of his design not too long ago.

Then getting those files and measurements to the machinist and let them do their thing. My buddy Kyle was quoted something like 1 grand to run a small amount of his design. Get in good or find a buddy who is into machining and maybe they can run a few outside of work if you provided a case of something tasty and or a few bucks for the trouble.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/9/2016 10:46 PM

If you're new to riding, you might struggle with getting good geometry for a stem from your own experience. Although it's a big chunk of aluminium, it will have week points, and excess material. You need to know where it's likely to fail and why, and where you can remove material to save weight without affecting the overall strength.
Unless you just copy someone else's design. Which is a jag thing to do

Ps. I personally wouldn't buy one purely because you're asking on a public forum, therefore I wouldn't trust it and would rather give my money to a reputable bmx company

|

3/10/2016 5:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 5:42 AM

I'm not trying to be a dick, but before you start a company that makes stems, you might want to know how to make stems.

Asking on here isn't learning how to make stems either.

|

3/10/2016 6:42 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but before you start a company that makes stems, you might want to know how to make stems.

...more

That's what I meant with my comment haha

|

3/10/2016 9:06 AM

Your going to need a Cnc machine , those are fucken expensive

|

3/10/2016 9:33 AM

eskimojay wrote:

He could get someone else to machine them, if you have the ability (both skills and software) to provide them with a valid file, but that's going to be expensive, and good machine shops usually have a pretty good backlog.

|

3/10/2016 11:38 AM

eskimojay wrote:

tecnic1 wrote:

He could get someone else to machine them, if you have the ability (both skills and software) to provide them with a valid ...more

This.

I would start with something smaller, like bar ends. Pretty simple to design and make. Kinda hard to mess them up, and if they are plastic and fail, shucks. If they are alloy and fail, slightly more shucks.

A bar end is most likely to fail when impacting the ground, so the risk to someone's well being is pretty small compared to a stem failing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/11/2016 4:08 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

...more

Not asking how to make them but if anyone has had any experience with making them. Just wanted some other info from other peoples personal experience.

|

3/11/2016 5:01 PM

Why even try getting into the bmx market if you're not even a rider? It's a relatively small market saturated with new brands. Then you have the established guys like S&M and Profile that have been producing high quality stems for years. What is going to set your stems apart?

|

3/11/2016 5:15 PM

BoBo_Jenkins wrote:

Why even try getting into the bmx market if you're not even a rider? It's a relatively small market saturated with new brands. ...more

You haven't heard of the 80's have you?

MOST brands were owned by corporations looking for a quick buck.

BUT I would say being a rider is a great thing to have in a company owner, BUT the designers would be the place I would want actual riders. They could easily understand real world wants and needs. An owner isn't always the one coming up with designs etc or prototypes.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/11/2016 5:16 PM

BoBo_Jenkins wrote:

Why even try getting into the bmx market if you're not even a rider? It's a relatively small market saturated with new brands. ...more

See that's where you are going wrong, letting a bigger company turn you away from what you wanna do. Also i said "new to the market" there's a difference you know

|

3/13/2016 9:54 PM

I think you missed my point completely. Either way, good luck.

|

3/13/2016 11:40 PM

And you actually say you're new to bikes in your first sentence

|