Custom Brake Lever

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2016 4:44 AM

So I have been thinking about making a custom brake lever that is much smaller and rides closer to the bar. I usually have my brakes dialed in so that they lock with only a half inch of play or so. I want to design something that is almost touching the grip when it is not in use. So it is almost like a one finger trigger that only swings like half an inch. I was inspired by the MTB shifter brake that I saw a while ago, thinking that this might help with no handed tricks.

Any thoughts, insight or concerns? Do you think it will work and if so do you think it would be cool or be more in the way?

|

If it ain't broke...

1/14/2016 5:12 AM

Seems like it would be harder to get your hands off without hitting it since there would little room between your hand and the lever but idk I don't ride brakes

|

1/14/2016 5:27 AM

The idea was that your fingers don't go between grip and lever, rather float over it gripping more towards the outside of the bar. So you would kinda have your pointer finger lightly touching it at all times, just not squeezing.

It may not feel right at all though, that's why I want other's input.

Thanks for the comment

|

If it ain't broke...

1/14/2016 5:53 AM

Do you mean something like the Dia Tech Goldfinger lever?

Photo

empirebmx still sells it for $19.95

I think it's cool looking for a trigger finger brake.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/14/2016 5:54 AM

You could try a lever that's designed for kids bikes as they're generally a fair bit smaller (as a prototype). Most levers you can adjust the reach on too.
Although I do agree that if it's closer to the bars you're more likely to hit the lever when letting go or grabbing back on.

|

1/14/2016 5:55 AM

Photo
Forgot to mention they only sell this version (right side only), but I think that's what you want right?
|

1/14/2016 6:13 AM

I actually have an old gold finger laying around somewhere. That's not quite what I meant. I'm thinking something with less of a curve so it sits almost parallel to the bar. Sorry I'm pretty bad at explaining things. I will have to look into kids levers and see how they look.

|

If it ain't broke...

1/14/2016 6:19 AM

maybe you can sketch it somehow?

|

1/14/2016 6:35 AM

I think I have a fair idea of what design you are referring to. A shorter brake, that is closer to the handle bar, but is slightly curved or almost straight? It honestly sounds like a good idea, but im not sure if anyone has came up with something like this. But it sounds like a good idea!

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

1/14/2016 6:36 AM

Daliracing wrote:

I attempted for him sorta on my office pc

do you mean something like this?
Photo

|

1/14/2016 7:08 AM

Daliracing wrote:

Buzzbegone wrote:

Photo

Yes that is the closest thing I have seen! The only difference that I had in mind was more of an acute angle on the lever part itself so that it is even closer to the grip then your sketch. That's awesome though thank you.

|

If it ain't broke...

1/14/2016 7:25 AM

To get that i think you have to find a new pivot point to achive a good braking force.

|

1/14/2016 8:10 AM

Buzzbegone wrote:

Photo

You wouldn't have much leverage with a lever that short.

|

Old,stupid,and funny.

1/14/2016 8:27 AM

Daliracing wrote:

Buzzbegone wrote:

Photo

bloghogs wrote:

You wouldn't have much leverage with a lever that short.

It doesn't necessarily have to be quite as short as the one pictured. Besides you really don't need that much leverage. With my current set up I could lock my wheel up with my pinky finger.

|

If it ain't broke...

1/14/2016 8:30 AM

Photo

|

1/14/2016 8:32 AM

I was thinking something like this....

The red line is the bar

The yellow line is the angle of the lever in your drawing (somewhat traditional)

The orange line is more of the angle I would want the lever, so that it is really close to the bars.

Hopefully this makes sense to you guys.

Thanks for all the comments too!

Photo

|

If it ain't broke...

1/14/2016 10:05 AM

If you have the lever like the orange line then i guess it will be hard to brake. or do you want 2 diffirent stands of the lever?

|

1/14/2016 10:26 AM

I'd still rather buy an M2 lever and run two straights off of it, one to the front, one to the rear. Lol.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/14/2016 11:39 AM

Daliracing wrote:

If you have the lever like the orange line then i guess it will be hard to brake. or do you want 2 diffirent stands of the ...more

What if you made this brake in polished and shaped the lever like little angel wings! they would match chrome parts and you could call them Cupid Brake Levers! Hurry up and make them so I can buy'em!

|

1/14/2016 11:50 AM

So basically a standard MTB lever that is super short, and closer to the bars.

I could see a lot of grabbing it when taking a hand off, especially with the awesome barspin catching skills so many have where it could be anywhere from the bar end to the crossbar.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura