Custom bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

12/19/2017 5:53 AM

Hey guys, in the process of eyeing up/saving for a custom build. This is what I'm swaying towards at the moment. I know it's another person asking about what bike to get but hopefully it's a bit more unique than the usual posts. I'm curious if any of you have had any experience with these parts/brands and have any suggestions of what sounds good and what sounds bad. Cheers!

Frame: Mutiny Comb V3 20.6 Trans yellow

Drivetrain: BSD substance mid BB
Éclat Maverick Cranks 175mm Black
Mutiny Pentra Spline Drive 25t Sprocket Oil rub
Shadow Interlock Supreme Chain silver
Éclat slash nylon pedals black

Front end: BSD integrated headset black
Éclat coda fork 26mm black
Éclat Chocolate regular bars chrome
Éclat domain front load stem
Éclat pulsar grips gum

Seat: Mutiny stitch mid tripod seat blue denim
Éclat tripod post

Wheels: United Supreme front wheel black
United supreme rear cassette black
BSD Donnasqueak tyres 2.25 black
Éclat slot machine pegs

|

12/19/2017 8:05 AM

I wouldn't trust those maverick cranks as far as I could throw them!

|

12/19/2017 8:10 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Why? I haven't heard of any problems with them.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/19/2017 8:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/20/2017 12:00 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Oh really? What's your reasoning? I honestly haven't heard anything bad about them/eclat in general

|

12/19/2017 8:47 AM

Get profile elites loaded with titanium and profile cranks with a titanium spindle !

|

12/19/2017 9:48 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

RumHam wrote:

Oh really? What's your reasoning? I honestly haven't heard anything bad about them/eclat in general

They’re fine.

|

12/19/2017 9:55 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

RumHam wrote:

jbales wrote:

They’re fine.

Well that's what I thought, always known Eclat to be a good brand and like I say I hadn't heard anything bad about them or those cranks. EskimoJay I definitely can't afford Profile elites haha

|

12/19/2017 10:19 AM

Mutiny are cool. I personally wouldn't get any of the eclat stuff. And, I'd get a few less expensive parts (like chain) and put the savings toward better wheels. And if you like to grind, be wary of a spline drive sprocket

|

12/19/2017 10:35 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Mutiny are cool. I personally wouldn't get any of the eclat stuff. And, I'd get a few less expensive parts (like chain) and put the savings toward better wheels. And if you like to grind, be wary of a spline drive sprocket

Do you mind if I ask why you wouldn't get the eclat parts? And I've never heard about spline drive being a problem with grinds, what's that all about? Thanks for the input mate

|

12/19/2017 10:41 AM

Splined drive can get all fucked if you happened to damage the splines/sprocket at all landing or hitting the sprocket while grinding or some other trick.

|

12/19/2017 11:00 AM

I strongly recommend a 28 tooth sprocket over a 25 tooth. I recently switched over to 28t and i'm loving. A lot faster to get places but still feels good at low speeds. So much more convenient. Dunno why 28t isn't standard. Yet...

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

12/19/2017 11:38 AM

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

I strongly recommend a 28 tooth sprocket over a 25 tooth. I recently switched over to 28t and i'm loving. A lot faster to get places but still feels good at low speeds. So much more convenient. Dunno why 28t isn't standard. Yet...

Agreed, 28 is much nicer overall.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/19/2017 11:58 AM

I love eclat and am running some mirage tires and torch seatposts by them. However, as comfy as the slash pedals are, my aluminum left one broke after one crash. My friends plastic left and right broke after a few sessions.

When I say broke, I mean they could not be tightened back up. The threaded portion of the axle ran out on both of our sets and we were no longer able to remove the back and forth play in the pedals. That might not bother some people but it really bothered me, enough to where I gave my aluminum set away for free.

They are really comfy and cool looking though.

|

12/19/2017 12:00 PM

Only thing id highly recommend are sealed bearing aluminum pedals. Or the premium slim PC pedals, since they are sealed as well. Unsealed plastic pedals always feel like shit after a few months. The get all crunchy and stuff. And if you're worried about getting shinners just buy the shadow conspiracy shin pads or something.

|

12/19/2017 12:26 PM

Deadsailor666 wrote:

Only thing id highly recommend are sealed bearing aluminum pedals. Or the premium slim PC pedals, since they are sealed as well. Unsealed plastic pedals always feel like shit after a few months. The get all crunchy and stuff. And if you're worried about getting shinners just buy the shadow conspiracy shin pads or something.

I always wear through/break pedals faster than the bearings take to go bad

|

Hmmm

12/19/2017 12:32 PM

Deadsailor666 wrote:

Odyssey JCPCs...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/19/2017 1:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2017 1:34 PM

Odyssey forks, or cult sect ics, have lifetime warranty. There's a few more too, and they all costs about the same as non lifetime forks. Why not get something you only have to buy once. As for cranks, profiles, fit indents, or demolition rigs are all excellent. I have some titanium spindle profiles for sale right now. They go for about $300 new. I'd sell them for $130 shipped if your interested. They are in real nice shape too. Just go with something that's been proven. The wheels are probably fine, but I'd go with something different personally.

|

12/19/2017 1:38 PM

Deadsailor666 wrote:

I'll second that. I just got my first pair of sealed pedals. Magnesium welgos. They feel so damn smooth. Makes my bike feel more smooth and dialed.

|

12/19/2017 1:42 PM

Deadsailor666 wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

I'll second that. I just got my first pair of sealed pedals. Magnesium welgos. They feel so damn smooth. Makes my bike feel more smooth and dialed.

Yeah I think I'll pick up some Premium Slim PC pedals to replace my Odyssey Twisted Pros... I've always wanted a pair of sealed pedals...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/19/2017 1:44 PM

And to the OP, get a 28t sprocket... they feel soooooo much better... unless you're going up hills all the time, and if you are going up hills all the time get 25t, but if not 28t all day...

|

12/19/2017 2:00 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Odyssey forks, or cult sect ics, have lifetime warranty. There's a few more too, and they all costs about the same as non lifetime forks. Why not get something you only have to buy once. As for cranks, profiles, fit indents, or demolition rigs are all excellent. I have some titanium spindle profiles for sale right now. They go for about $300 new. I'd sell them for $130 shipped if your interested. They are in real nice shape too. Just go with something that's been proven. The wheels are probably fine, but I'd go with something different personally.

Agree, get lifetime everything possible!

|

12/19/2017 2:01 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

And to the OP, get a 28t sprocket... they feel soooooo much better... unless you're going up hills all the time, and if you are going up hills all the time get 25t, but if not 28t all day...

I guess the 28t is the way to go, then. I was contemplating it but hesitant. Guess I'll get one

|

12/19/2017 2:04 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I guess the 28t is the way to go, then. I was contemplating it but hesitant. Guess I'll get one

Yeah man it's amazing. Go for it, you won't regret it!

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

12/19/2017 2:09 PM

30 to 9 is where it’s at , but hard to find frames that fit 30 or even find 30 tooth sprockets thes days

|

12/19/2017 2:15 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

Yeah man it's amazing. Go for it, you won't regret it!

Yeah get a 28t Mishinn... you'll like it alot my friend! And if you do get one, I'd recommend the Odyssey Fang, or if you're looking for a bash guard I'd recommend the Odyssey La Gardia... both are great sprockets!

|

12/20/2017 12:32 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

RumHam wrote:

Do you mind if I ask why you wouldn't get the eclat parts? And I've never heard about spline drive being a problem with grinds, what's that all about? Thanks for the input mate

I just don't care for eclat. I'd rather buy from a rider owned company.
I knocked a spline drive sprocket 5 minutes after putting it on, and it warped enough to make the sprocket wobble on the splined washer thing. If you put a little bent in a bolt drive sprocket, you can still use it.

|

12/20/2017 12:56 AM

Another vote for 28t sprocket, you can pick up so much more speed.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

12/20/2017 1:33 AM

Thanks for all the responses and advice guys, I'll definitely take on board your suggestions. I'll shop round some more for sprockets, wheels and pedals especially. I'll also have a look for stuff with lifetime warranties. Cheers everyone

|

12/20/2017 1:58 AM

Wethepeople are another company who offer a life time warranty on their forks

|

12/20/2017 3:26 AM

U.P.O. wrote:

Wethepeople are another company who offer a life time warranty on their forks

Ok so there's WTP, Odyssey, cult. Which other companies offer lifetime warranties? May as well weigh up all my options

|