Custom build or complete bike for newbie?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/19/2018 11:42 PM

hey guys!
I bought a 2nd hand Specialized P20 last month to learn on but I'm already hating it, too heavy & old. Should I save up for a new, nice, frame & slowly get the rest of the parts or you think it would more sensible to get a complete bike?

I'm 44 years old btw, been riding bikes my whole life but I only just now want to start riding street

|

12/20/2018 1:20 AM

I would buy a pair of folding Maxxis grifters they would make your bike lighter and are cheaper than a new frame ...

|

12/20/2018 4:02 AM

A new bike will feel better. Sunday has good completed.

|

fack off

12/20/2018 6:36 AM

Budget?

|

12/20/2018 7:19 AM

Budget hmm for a complete it would be around $700. But I think I'd rather get a good frame for about $350 and swap some parts from the P20, slowly replacing them with better quality options later. I've already purchased a new , sealed, rear wheel as the p20 wheel was beyond repair.

|

12/20/2018 7:52 AM

For $700, I’d be on the WTP Crysis. Even the Trust if you can push the boat out a bit. They’re solid bikes and you can start riding without worry straight away.

|

12/20/2018 7:56 AM

BuDmaster wrote:

Budget hmm for a complete it would be around $700. But I think I'd rather get a good frame for about $350 and swap some parts from the P20, slowly replacing them with better quality options later. I've already purchased a new , sealed, rear wheel as the p20 wheel was beyond repair.

save up another $300 and get the best complete you can get.

http://www.sundaybikes.com/bikes/2019-completes/soundwave-special/2019-soundwave-special-gary-young-signature/

|

fack off

12/20/2018 8:01 AM

I'd go for a complete. If the bike is heavy and old, the parts you'd have to swap into the new frame can be incompatible or just bad enough to not be worth the work. Getting a complete, especially with your budget will get you a nice bike that will serve you for a good while and when you want to upgrade, you'll have a good base.

|

12/20/2018 8:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/20/2018 8:27 AM

I built up a custom as my first BMX for $728 by buying a lot of used parts from on here. I bought everything except the rear wheel, pedals, tires, bottom bracket, headset, chain, grips and brake cable used from here. The only part that is "budget part" is the Verde rear wheel. https://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/First-BMX-Soundwave,1320250

|

12/20/2018 11:12 AM

jbales wrote:

For $700, I’d be on the WTP Crysis. Even the Trust if you can push the boat out a bit. They’re solid bikes and you can start riding without worry straight away.

The 2019 Crysis is really nice. I have the 2016 and I love it but the newer models got a bit fancier. Invest cast wishbone, taller head tube and a bit shorter rear. Really nice.

|

12/20/2018 4:12 PM

There’s alota nice completes you can buy for $700

|

12/20/2018 4:15 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm looking at maybe a WTP or the Fitbike Co Mac for now.

|

12/20/2018 4:23 PM

Was gonna say the Mac can't touch the Crysis. Then I noticed you're in New Zealand so if you mean $700NZD, you can't touch the Crysis either.

|

12/20/2018 6:23 PM

heh I could maybe stretch to the Crysis, can get one for $845 NZ

|

12/20/2018 6:36 PM

The 2018 Crysis is $768 NZ on Lux. Free shipping from Australia to NZ, apparently.

|

12/21/2018 1:43 AM

jbales wrote:

The 2018 Crysis is $768 NZ on Lux. Free shipping from Australia to NZ, apparently.

Lux are fantastic. By far best customer service I’ve ever experienced. They are happy to email at length, and I’ve even had a phone call from them to follow up on some correspondence. Some of you might be familiar with Dave Dillewaard, he’s the man, and will take time to help. He found me Sunday frame stickers (almost impossible to get here in Australia for some reason, unless you want to give Sunday $50 to ship some $3 stickers) when no one else would help, and didn’t charge me for them either. Grab the crysis from lux. Here’s some bonus Dillewaard

">Dave Dillewaard
|

12/21/2018 2:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2018 3:06 AM

I recently bought that new rear wheel from Lux, 4 day delivery to NZ from Aus. I'm happy & I'll hopefully be buying from them again in the near future.

To be really honest I cant afford the complete bike at the moment, my reason for this post in the first place. I was thinking of getting a frame for roughly $400, which I do have now on either:

the We The People Clash Frame,
the 'Subrosa Om Frame'
or even the 'Stranger Iron Mane Frame'.

I've been sick for the past 4 years or so & I can't work for probably another 12 months at least but the plan is to save up for extra parts for the build soon. In the mean time I should be able to swap the wheels, forks, stem, handlebars, seat & possibly the crankset from the P20?? This will give me something nicer to play with until I can start replacing all of the extras with higher quality gear.

OR...

I could be super patient, & keep saving ,while learning the best I can on my current bike. It might take another 6 months or even longer & I'll save for that Crysis or something similar.

|