Custom frame?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2017 5:54 PM

Any of you have custom built frames? I lurked around the net and was pretty suprised that for 450$ i can get custom
everything...every angle,length,tube type,width,thickness,brake post location (welded or removable),20-30+ colors,custom seat stay bridge....I choose everything for 450$. No brainer.
I'm actually not thinking of premade stuff anymore. Doubt I ever will.
If you have some custom bikes,could I ask for a little show-off?
smile

|

4/4/2017 6:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2017 6:55 PM

This is my custom LTF I had built for me ten years ago by s&m when they first got in the custom game , it lasted 5 years then I broke the headtube , lucked out on not killing myself the fork litteraly had and inch of play sitting back against a ledge , apparently from my experience chrome covers up cracks pretty well , custom frames are worth it if you know what you like and don't like , my only advice as a rider going on 20 years of riding and knowing what I like is look at your favourite riders to watch ride that you want to ride like , account for yours and their height and study their signature frames
Photo

|

4/4/2017 7:13 PM

Old school.
Yeah,the problem with me is I would be most comfortable on 4in1 bike. That just stupid and impossible.
I must think about it really hard before ordering one. To choose what i'd like.
Ooh,thank god I can't say I ever almost killed myself. Only chainstay cracks.
5 years is a good run ,especially if you ride everyday.
Thinking about laird myself.

|

4/4/2017 7:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2017 7:24 PM

I see bunch of LTF's for sale when googled. You said this was a custom order? You changed something compared to those models I'm seeing in shops? 4.29 lbs? that's low.

|

4/4/2017 7:31 PM

My Laird #63
Photo

|

Smoke Drink Die

4/4/2017 7:53 PM

I'd go for a custom frame if I ever felt the need to buy one. Probably S&M or FBM.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

4/4/2017 8:56 PM

Any frame style / angles that I might want already exists. So for me, I see no need to go custom.

Mike Laird makes some solid looking frames though. and he rides them like a man.

|

4/4/2017 8:58 PM

I would go for a custom frame if I had more than just 3 years worth of actually being on a BMX. Ive only rode 3 frames and tried few other peoples bikes, and the only thing I know for sure is that I like a traditional ST angle at 71, chainstay between 13.5 - 14", headtube at 74.5 (as opposed to 75, I do feel the difference), and bottom bracket on the higher end of 11.8 (I dont plan on running anything larger than 2.3, so I dont need a lower BB to compensate for extra fat tires). The only things Im undecided on is the TT length and SO height, which Ive almost found my happy medium, but not quite.

I dont know from where I would get though...Lairdframe or FBM machine shop? Dont go trying to do a "vs" because I highly doubt anyone here is riding a custom FBM and Laird side by side (I could be wrong, please let me be wrong).

|

4/4/2017 10:28 PM

Photo
My custom fbm, there is literally nothing on the market with the same geometry. Not even anything similar that's brakeless and US made. The geometry is based on an s&m cam wood v2 but with a couple of small changes. It cost a lot (had to pay shipping and import tax to the UK), but worth every penny. It rides exactly like I hoped.

But, unless you know exactly what you want, and there's nothing already on the market, it's a lot of money for a frame. I over thought every angle, but I'm glad I did as I changed my mind a few times about a few things before pulling the trigger (I must've filled the form out on the fbm site 5 or 6 times before being certain).
|

4/5/2017 12:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote: Photo
My custom fbm, there is literally nothing on the market with the same geometry. Not even anything similar that's brakeless and US made. The geometry is based on an s&m cam wood v2 but with a couple of small changes. It cost a lot (had to pay shipping and import tax to the UK), but worth every penny. It rides exactly like I hoped.

But, unless you know exactly what you want, and there's nothing already on the market, it's a lot of money for a frame. I over thought every angle, but I'm glad I did as I changed my mind a few times about a few things before pulling the trigger (I must've filled the form out on the fbm site 5 or 6 times before being certain).

Wowza! It looks far better than I imaged! smile Love bikes with all black parts and a non-black frame. Sick!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/5/2017 12:48 AM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

My Laird #63
Photo

You street or flat?

|

4/5/2017 12:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2017 12:50 AM

OldDudeCruisingAroundDoingStuff wrote:

You street or flat?

My guess is trails and concrete. This setup is far from a flatland and looks like it runs well at a set of dirt jumps. He is Colonydirt94 after all.

|

4/5/2017 12:53 AM

Looks twitchy...hm... yeah the shipping is the hardest part...how much did you pay for hipping from US? To prepare myself for the shock smile
Ooooooo,I've filled Laird's form for about 17 times in a month. It helps to think it through.
Because I'm deifnitely uncertain about what I should make of it.

|

4/5/2017 12:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2017 1:21 AM

readybmxer wrote:

My guess is trails and concrete. This setup is far from a flatland and looks like it runs well at a set of dirt jumps. He is Colonydirt94 after all.

Too clean smile. I don't even look for that,I've seen people doing stuff on totally random bikes,including me.
Biikes too clean for a wild man or trails. So I guessed it's some Japanese tech street
stuff or hard flat like Chad Johnston does

|

4/5/2017 1:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2017 1:03 AM

readybmxer wrote:

hehe didn't even see the name,only saw JPN. Never seen a Japanese guy ride dirt

|

4/5/2017 1:28 AM

You street or flat?

readybmxer wrote:

hehe didn't even see the name,only saw JPN. Never seen a Japanese guy ride dirt

readybmxer hit the nail on the head. Trails and concrete. The picture is from the day I built it a few years ago. There's also alot of trails on Japan! But I'm only here for one more year before I'm back in the states

|

Smoke Drink Die

4/5/2017 1:41 AM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

readybmxer hit the nail on the head. Trails and concrete. The picture is from the day I built it a few years ago. There's also alot of trails on Japan! But I'm only here for one more year before I'm back in the states

I missed ? Nothing new. My point of view is all distorted. Really clean bike for your style. I would expect some tech-y wizard with bunch of weird tricks. Returning to the beggining of the conversation,I will probably build a frame that most people will think is unrideable Frankenstein,and I will see it as a perfect bike.
smile

|

4/5/2017 1:43 AM

Oh,picture is from the day you built it. Ok. That's why it's so clean and only pedal worn out.

|

4/5/2017 1:50 AM

Last question; are you (all people here) very dependent on your bike,geometry,how high is you seat etc?
Or can you take other people's bikes,no matter of geometry,tire size etc and ride it almost the same way you do with your bike? I feel a bit weird cause I'm just not looking so much into geometries. Most of the bikes feel same to me.
unless it's something really weird,then I notice the difference and usually like it.

|

4/5/2017 1:52 AM

For my next frame it will either be another Laird or a FBM...if I ever need one.

|

Smoke Drink Die

4/5/2017 2:51 AM

I never knew you could do this?! The wife is going to kill me.

|

4/5/2017 2:55 AM

Last question; are you (all people here) very dependent on your bike,geometry,how high is you seat etc?
Or can you take other people's bikes,no matter of geometry,tire size etc and ride it almost the same way you do with your bike? I feel a bit weird cause I'm just not looking so much into geometries. Most of the bikes feel same to me.
unless it's something really weird,then I notice the difference and usually like it.

Everyone I ride with is street. Four pegs, fat tires, freecoasters, y'know, all that.

Meanwhile, in park world, there's me with no pegs and a cassette with a slim and slammed seat and skinny tires. I hate heavy bikes and peg tricks don't fancy me.

That being said, my answer is no, I can't just pick up any bike and ride it, haha. Even if there was a setup somewhat the same to mine, there aren't many around me that run 10" rise bars and 1.95" size tires.

If geometry isn't causing you much trouble, then don't worry a ton about it. Besides, you'll grow more and more accustomed to your own personal bike every time you ride it.

|

4/5/2017 4:32 AM

Yes, I instantly notice a difference between bikes. Some feel straight up backwards to me. Now, if I ride a borrowed bike for longer than say, 15min then I get used to it and can ride naturally. At first it's always weird to me though

|

Smoke Drink Die

4/5/2017 4:43 AM

I want a custom frame badly, but I feel like I'm too picky with how I want my perfect frame to be. I'm scared companies might get annoyed with me.

|

4/5/2017 6:49 AM

Looks twitchy...hm... yeah the shipping is the hardest part...how much did you pay for hipping from US? To prepare myself for the shock smile
Ooooooo,I've filled Laird's form for about 17 times in a month. It helps to think it through.

Far from twitchy! 74.5 ha, 21.125 tt, 11.625 bb height, 13.325 chainstay. That with 8.5 bars and a frontload makes me feel like I'm glued to the ground when I want to be, but the shortish chainstay makes it pretty easy to chuck around.

Shipping was $80, import tax was £70. Fml.

|

4/5/2017 7:32 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Far from twitchy! 74.5 ha, 21.125 tt, 11.625 bb height, 13.325 chainstay. That with 8.5 bars and a frontload makes me feel like I'm glued to the ground when I want to be, but the shortish chainstay makes it pretty easy to chuck around.

What affects the 'twitchyness' of a bike more, the headtube angle or forks offset?
And is it true that a more mellow seat tube angle could make a frame seem shorter? I'm debating if I would want a 69 or 72 degree seat tube. I've read that a mellow seat tube angle actually moves the BB forward a bit making the frame seem shorter, I'm just not sure how true that is.

|

4/5/2017 8:25 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sheldon. wrote:

What affects the 'twitchyness' of a bike more, the headtube angle or forks offset?
And is it true that a more mellow seat tube angle could make a frame seem shorter? I'm debating if I would want a 69 or 72 degree seat tube. I've read that a mellow seat tube angle actually moves the BB forward a bit making the frame seem shorter, I'm just not sure how true that is.

The ha and offset have a kind of similar feel, but a steeper ha makes the effective toptube length a touch longer. As for seatpost angle, when it's mellower, the bb is moved forward, making the front end of the bike shorter (same as having a slightly shorter tt). With a shorter tt (whether actual, or effective) you have less room at the front, but if you imagine your body position whilst doing a manual, your weight will be further over the back wheel. So a mellower seattube will feel a little like a smaller bike altogether (less room up from, and more body weight over the back end will feel like a shorter chainstay). A high bb will also make the bike feel a little twitchier, as will higher bars

|

4/5/2017 4:52 PM

Photo

My custom laird frame!! Love it!
|

brakeless maniac

4/5/2017 4:53 PM

Thats sick! Thinking of getting a custom fbm myself!

|

brakeless maniac

4/5/2017 5:11 PM

Photo

Custom seat stay bridge offered on all laird frames! I have a question mark!
|

brakeless maniac