Custom headtube badge opinions...

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2018 11:30 PM

So I had some time at work and started tinkering with a stainless head tube badge. I still have to cut the profile and bend it to fit the headtube. It’s .05” dia larger than the original headtube sticker.
I thought of media blasting the lettering for a matte finish and polishing the face or painting the letters and polishing the face.
Any other ideas for the design or finishing it??Photo

|

1/13/2018 12:13 AM

Maybe paint bits of it. Depends on the rest of the bike and frame colour. Looks really professional. Great work. My Sunday doesn't even have a headtube sticker.

|

1/13/2018 1:01 AM

Looks rad! I tried making a couple with some thin copper sheet and a dremel, but couldn't get clean enough lines. How do you plan on bending it? I think as long as the frame isn't a light colour it will look good as it is, especially after it's weathered a bit

|

1/13/2018 1:13 AM

This is sick

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/13/2018 3:01 AM

That's so nice. I want one lol. Would you be interested in selling me one?

|

1/13/2018 3:33 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

This.

Would you do any custom ones when yours is done? If so, what's your cost estimate?

I had looked into having one made for my new build, but unfortunately custom head tube badges cost more than I spent on the frame itself!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/13/2018 4:26 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This.

Would you do any custom ones when yours is done? If so, what's your cost estimate?

I had looked into having one made ...more

How so? shocked

I mean everybody with a desktop CNC (like the Nomad or Shapeoko) can do them and it shouldn't cost more than 30$

To the OP, how did you made it?

|

1/13/2018 6:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2018 6:22 AM

Very nice! I was JUST thinking of water jetting out something similar for my bikes, yesterday

|

1/13/2018 6:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2018 6:14 AM

Glad you guys like....thanks. So it is .02” thick stainless with the text about .010 deep done in a $$$ cnc mill. Run time was about 1.6 hrs so far due to .5mm dia endmill for the lettering. I don’t think making multiples out of SS is feasible. If I owned the shop it would be game on lol. That said...alum or anything easier to machine would run much faster wink
I’ll bend it in a cnc brake press.

|

1/13/2018 6:11 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This.

am-shaegar wrote:

How so? shocked

I mean everybody with a desktop CNC (like the Nomad or Shapeoko) can do them and it shouldn't cost more than 30$

...more

https://www.headbadges.com/store/p92/King_of_the_Beasts-_original_custom_made.html
|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/13/2018 6:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2018 6:33 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This.

am-shaegar wrote:

How so? shocked

...more

Now those are cool!
I like to tinker and make stuff....but I may pick one up of those up come summer.

|

1/13/2018 6:29 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This.

am-shaegar wrote:

How so? shocked

...more

Have you ever worked with actual CNC machines? They aren't cheap, for one thing, and the skill involved to program and operated them don't come cheap either. So, calculating the cost of the machine, the rate at which you pay your skilled machinist, and the material, and you are looking at a hefty sum for a one-off badge. Why do you think large run production parts are so much cheaper that limited run?

|

1/13/2018 6:59 AM

There's a guy in the UK that does them for about £40. He can make batches out of pewter too, which work out about £10 each if you buy 25

|

1/13/2018 7:10 AM

Oh, so they are made from silver. And handmade, that explains the cost laughing

Not sure if silver is the best material for a bmx headtube badge though laughing

|

1/13/2018 7:33 AM

Curt D let me know if you want to make a small batch of badges with a custom design on them. I will gladly pay you for them if the price is right!

|

1/13/2018 7:05 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Curt D let me know if you want to make a small batch of badges with a custom design on them. I will gladly pay you for them if ...more

Let me see how this one goes.

|

1/17/2018 5:25 AM

Photo

I got my Little Devil badge yesterday, looks AWESOME on the copper.

This badge is following whatever frame I ride from now on. If another run is done, I might snag one up for the road bike I am getting this spring.
|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/17/2018 5:26 AM

dave lawrence wrote: Photo

I got my Little Devil badge yesterday, looks AWESOME on the copper.

This badge is following whatever frame I ride from now ...more

Yeah, that looks REALLY good!

|