Custom octogonal barends

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2018 2:50 PM

Hi guys!

I'm in the process of making a pair of octogonal shaped steel barends based on my savage aluminium barends:
Photo

They will look something like this, with a rounded top.
What do you guys think? Will all the extra edges pose a threat? or it's all the same?

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/13/2018 3:02 PM

If you’re throwing barspins consistently I can see the edges posing a VERY minor nuisance to fucking up your fingers / hands , but as long as they’re not CNC’d to be sharp as fuck , I doubt they’d be a concern .

I think this is pretty sweet , I wouldn’t mind a pair haha . Kinda like those revolver bar ends by Matt Beringer ( ? Think it’s him ) that he designed out of titanium . Maybe add a logo or your initial into one of the faces and it would be a nice touch

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/13/2018 3:02 PM

i would personally round off the side edges gotta figure your hand is right there and if u go down you dont want to catch an edge. i am glad to see someone doing a little industrial design though keep up the good work #engineers

this is what happens when bar ends fail

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/13/2018 3:29 PM

Just soften up any edges with a bit of emery cloth and I don't see any trouble.
I would keep the end full though so you don't chip any surface it gets dropped on.

|

Hmmm

6/13/2018 8:15 PM

as long as the edges are fairly rounded I think they'd be good and look cool since they're aesthetically different from most others

|

6/13/2018 9:02 PM

Personally, the fact they won't sit flush with the grips would do my head in

|

6/13/2018 9:04 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

i would personally round off the side edges gotta figure your hand is right there and if u go down you dont want to catch an edge. i am glad to see someone doing a little industrial design though keep up the good work #engineers

Holy cow...

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

6/13/2018 10:00 PM

Ever since I crashed and landed on my jagged aluminum barends and ripped my pants off, cut my pelvic area all the way to the shaft of my penis...I kept those bar ends sanded smooth... now I am running plastic bar ends since my aluminum ones were scratching the shit out of everything in my house.

|

6/16/2018 4:20 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Ever since I crashed and landed on my jagged aluminum barends and ripped my pants off, cut my pelvic area all the way to the shaft of my penis...I kept those bar ends sanded smooth... now I am running plastic bar ends since my aluminum ones were scratching the shit out of everything in my house.

Holy shit dude you're a gangster

The day I get close to injuring my dick is the day I hang up my bike

|

6/16/2018 8:58 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

BNC wrote:

Holy shit dude you're a gangster

The day I get close to injuring my dick is the day I hang up my bike

Lol

|

6/17/2018 4:46 AM

I think- just to stay on the safe side- that it's better to get rid of the sharp angles and such. The design can stay the same, only need some grinding.

Dont wanna underestimate bar ends-I would have ended up the same as McCoy up there if it hadn't been for them.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

6/18/2018 4:11 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Hi guys!

I'm in the process of making a pair of octogonal shaped steel barends based on my savage aluminium barends:
Photo

They will look something like this, with a rounded top.
What do you guys think? Will all the extra edges pose a threat? or it's all the same?

Photo
Photo
Photo

if you want a bunch of cad files of freedom here ya go ;-)

fosscad.org
https://mega.nz/#!qNcDUJrT!wVzbt6pWi4oJW2Vox4N8kDQcce8kBpBbc_5IMpo1ps4

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/19/2018 2:47 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I was thinking the exact thing, lol.

Guess there's gonna be a need for octagonal grips now. XD

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/19/2018 3:40 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

I always wondered how they made sausages... Apparently they are from people whose bar ends fell out.

|

Hmmm

6/21/2018 12:43 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Same!

I run Par Ends because they work and they last. I have 3 sets in the garage and 1 set on my bike. Only because somebody said awhile back that they might stop making them. Seeing they last forever I figured 4 sets would be plenty for a long while.

|

6/21/2018 12:54 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

Same!

I run Par Ends because they work and they last. I have 3 sets in the garage and 1 set on my bike. Only because somebody said awhile back that they might stop making them. Seeing they last forever I figured 4 sets would be plenty for a long while.

Who said they might stop making them? Do you know if an updated model would be replacing them? I might pick up another several pairs if this is the case.

|