Custom or Complete help please

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2016 3:38 PM

Hey everyone im wanting to get into BMX and after all the info people helped me with yesterday i found 3-6 different options i think would be good for me but i would like opinions from you guys also thanks.

Im 5'4-5'5 and 130 lbs more or less, i mainly want to ride street and do tailwhips 360s 180s barspins and stuff like that
so all the options ill list have low standovers,Around 11.5 BB height , Shorter Chainstay rear and frames are 20.4-20.5 and all of this correct me if im wrong make it easier to do the type of riding i said ?

COMPLETES-

1.https://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102704/2016_Fly_Bikes_Neutron_Bike.html (has a 20.6 TT is that ok for my height?)

2.https://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102729/2016_Total_BMX_Coleborn_Bike_(Alex_Coleborn).html

3.https://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102610/2016_Colony_Sweet_Tooth_Pro_Bike_(Alex_Hiam).html (this bikes GEO seems right for my height?)

CUSTOM-

4.Total BMX Hangover H2 Frame (Alex Coleborn) with Stolen Sinner v3 build kit or United 2016 supreme build kit

5.Total BMX Killabee K2 Frame (Kyle Baldock) with Stolen Sinner v3 Build kit or United 2016 Supreme build kit

6. S&M Dagger Frame with Stolen Sinner v3 build kit or United 2016 Supreme build kit

|

3/9/2016 9:25 PM

Coming from the information on the original thread, I think you should settle on either the Fly Neutron complete or your frame of choice and the Stolen Sinner V3 Kit. The Stolen Kit looks good for the price and since you're just beginning, this should be fine for your first few years. Just remember, you HAVE to take good care and maintain your bike to make things last, I learned this the hard way, haha! Keep things running clean and smooth (Lubing the chain and brakes, keeping spokes tight and snug, things like this) in order to get the most of your money.

Regarding your custom bike ideas, the frame choices are all great in my eyes and I think they'll be great for a park-street riding style. Also, do you plan on running brakes and/or a gyro? This will be important if you want to build a custom bike with a brake setup as the kits listed come with none.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/9/2016 10:27 PM

Just buy a bike and have fun! Chances are you won't learn any of those tricks within a year anyway, unless you're a park rat and spend all your time nibbling a fly out. It will take you time to get used to any bike. It sounds like you're really serious about starting, and don't mind spending some money, so buy a half decent complete and upgrade parts as you go.

The sweet tooth is the best out of those, but you'll probably want to flip the stem upside down. The total looks OK on paper, but the description is a bit vague in places so some of the parts might be a bit cheap to keep the cost down. The fly doesn't have a full chromo frame.

You're really over thinking this

|

3/10/2016 12:22 PM

If you want a custom but don't want to spend a ton buy used parts. I did that for years and still do sometimes. If moneys not an issue and you know you're going to stick to bmx get the best stuff you can from the start. I don't recommend build kits though, they're usually low quality.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/10/2016 2:44 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Coming from the information on the original thread, I think you should settle on either the Fly Neutron complete or your frame ...more

thanks for your input im now deciding between the colony sweet tooth complete or building a custom if i built a custom could i build one with light good parts and be around the same price as the colony sweet tooth?

|

3/10/2016 2:46 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Just buy a bike and have fun! Chances are you won't learn any of those tricks within a year anyway, unless you're a park rat ...more

thanks for your input if i were to buy the colony complete could i replace the handlebars and stem with any one i want or only certain ones would work?

|

3/10/2016 2:49 PM

Four wrote:

If you want a custom but don't want to spend a ton buy used parts. I did that for years and still do sometimes. If moneys not ...more

thanks for your help one more question say i wanted to build custom could i everything for around the same price as the sweet tooth colony complete and around same lbs? i honestly dont know what parts to buy if i were to build a custom

|

3/10/2016 2:58 PM

Runescape wrote:

thanks for your help one more question say i wanted to build custom could i everything for around the same price as the sweet ...more

No problemo man. A custom would typically be a few hundred more than that. It doesn't seem like a bad bike. I just always rode custom bikes so I'm a little biased.

|

3/10/2016 3:50 PM

I think the Kink Solace Pro would be a great choice.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

3/10/2016 4:26 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I think the Kink Solace Pro would be a great choice.

hey thanks for your opinion i checked that bike out it seems to have all the good parts like the colony sweet tooth but im thinking of getting the colony because the standover height is lower than the kink solace which i heard helps in tailwhips 360s and 180s and stuff

|

3/10/2016 6:22 PM

Runescape wrote:

hey thanks for your opinion i checked that bike out it seems to have all the good parts like the colony sweet tooth but im ...more

Lower standovers will only make things like tailwhips, no-footed cans, or any other trick involving crossing feet over the frame easier just because the toptube is lower so there's more room for your feet to move over. Regarding spins like 180s, 360s, or 540s, a standover doesn't make a difference.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/10/2016 11:15 PM

Any bars or stem will fit if you decide to swap them, but you could turn the stem upside-down to get the bars a bit lower and see how it feels

|

3/10/2016 11:19 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Any bars or stem will fit if you decide to swap them, but you could turn the stem upside-down to get the bars a bit lower and ...more

oh ok cool by the way whats the reach mean on stems ? and is reach what makes barspins easier?

|

3/11/2016 3:00 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Any bars or stem will fit if you decide to swap them, but you could turn the stem upside-down to get the bars a bit lower and ...more

Runescape wrote:

oh ok cool by the way whats the reach mean on stems ? and is reach what makes barspins easier?

Over thinking it man , just get a bike and ride , it'll come with time and new parts .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/11/2016 3:49 AM

Reach is the length of the stem, measured centre of steerer to centre of bars. People can do all sorts of tricks on all sorts of bikes. The main thing is that you're comfortable on it. Anything that makes a bike easier to do tricks usually makes it ride like arse for everything other than tricks. And it will be harder to land a trick and ride out smoothly if it's too twitchy and responsive. Just get the sweet tooth and ride it!

|

3/11/2016 10:17 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Over thinking it man , just get a bike and ride , it'll come with time and new parts .

This. Worry about bunny hops before planning 540-whips

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

3/11/2016 10:54 PM

Runescape wrote:

I just switched from a 53mm to a 48mm stem. Barspins are a little faster and less likely to hit your knee on the shorter stem.

|

4/4/2016 2:03 PM

Well, if your just getting into BMX, try looking for a cheaper bike just to get started to get a feel for if you like BMX or not. Than eventually work your way up to a better complete or a custom. But customs can get pretty pricey. I have a 2015 United Martinez Expert complete and it's been great to me. Hope this helped!smile

|

4/4/2016 4:13 PM

If you get into Bmx and think your going to learn tailwhips early on your going to have a bad time

|

4/4/2016 4:26 PM

eskimojay wrote:

If you get into Bmx and think your going to learn tailwhips early on your going to have a bad time

I know a couple dudes who had em inside of 1.5 years of riding. Depends on how committed you are.

I however took 6 years to get one. Had em for a bit and lost em when my back went out.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura