Custom or WTP envy...

Related:
Create New Tag

5/4/2014 9:12 PM

I have been debating this for a while and should i make a custom or just get a wtp envy 2014? cuz im not to good at building customs and people have been trying to help me and its really confusing trying to choose good parts lol so if you think i should get a custom then please help me.... my budget atm is 1200 but at the end of summer which is when i am going to purchase a new bike it will be more around 2000 so if you can help me build a custom under 2000 i will love you forever....

|

5/4/2014 9:18 PM

You can easily build a great custom for under $2000.

Just need to know a few preferences first..

What do you ride mostly?
How tall are you?
Grinding or no grinding?
What side would you be grinding on?
Favorite colors?

|

5/4/2014 9:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2014 9:22 PM

just looked up the bike and it seems like a sick bike. For a little more for about 1500 maybe little more or less id rather just build up a custom complete bike. That way you get the colors and specs of parts and frame that will suit your riding needs. And for someone to make a list of parts for your bike, what kind of riding do you do. If you grind what side do you grind on, free coaster or cassette, tall or short bars, what size frame and if you ride brakeless or brakes.

|

5/4/2014 9:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2014 9:23 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You can easily build a great custom for under $2000.

Just need to know a few preferences first..

What do you ride mostly?
...more

street

6'2

200lbs if you need to know that

grinding

i need LHD so i grind on right

i would love to get a bike based off a trans red frame or gloss black

cassette

idk what size frame to get and no brakes

bars that are 8.5 or taller

|

5/4/2014 9:58 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Something that i came up with real fast. That frame does come in a 21.25 the complete total with shipping would be 1528.78 but if you had a promo you would save a ton of money. But if your not doing this until the end of the summer i would get a dans catalog and circle everything you want or go on the website and build many bikes until you build the perfect one. And use this for colors, helped me out. http://bmxcolor.narod.ru
|

5/4/2014 10:05 PM

that looks pretty good but i want to see what sunday puts for me also

|

5/4/2014 10:14 PM

I got bored so I threw this together: black frame with everything black & subtle red accents since you mentioned red. All together it would cost $1,491.96 (not including tubes, rim strips, tax & shipping) Gimme a minute & I'll post a photo of what it'd look like

Frame: Fiend Embryo, $329.99. Street geometry, Fiend team approved, and comes in different top tube sizes suitable for your needs. black
Fork: Odyssey R-Race fork, in 32 option. I think that's the one better for street riding but I'm not positive, someone help me out there haha. But amazing forks nonetheless, warranty too. $134.99 black
Bars: Odyssey Sweepstakes, they seem to be similar to the GY3 bars I have & I love them. Nice & big/wide, and come with a good bit of upsweep that's easier on your wrists! $69.99 black
Grips: ODI Longnecks, very comfy & grippy. $10.99 black
Barends: Odyssey Par-Ends, pc yes, but best bar ends I've ever ridden. $4.99 black
Stem: Animal MR FL or there's a top load version too I think if you'd prefer that, but I know this stem is really well built so it'll be strong enough to handle whatever you dish out at it. $54.99, black
Headset: Failure Integrated, same with bottom brackets, most of them are just the same so you can save some cash here plus add some color finally! $19.99 Red
Seat: Animal Broadway, not too fat & not too skinny! $28.99, black
Post: Fiend , a seat post is a seat post really.. $24.99, red
Cranks: Odyssey Thunderbolt, amazing cranks & lifetime warranty. Tad pricy, but worth it. Make sure you get it in the LHD option, I would also say 175mm since you're taller. $179.99 black
BB: Mechanik, 22mm Mid, really any BB will do that will fit your frame/crank so since this is cheaper it works out perfect. $19.99 black
Sprocket: Merrit Mighty 25t, pretty thick & will be able to fit your cranks too. $54.99, red
Pedals: Cult pc, very grippy pedals. $15.99, black
Chain: Odyssey Bluebird, good chain & comes with a half link in case you need to dial your rear end in. $19.99, black
Front hub: BSD Front Street, good rolling hub & very strong axle system. $59.99, red
Back hub: BSD Back Street, strong hub & good engagement system too, also comes in LHD. only one left on Dans though! $149.99, red
Spokes: Sapim black, 35cents a spoke, so like $25.20 all together. Great spokes, I used to run them and they held up very well. black
Rims: G-Sport Rollcage, good rims, have warranty, and are cross laced for a stiffer wheel. $159.98 all together. black
Tires: Animal GLH, these tires rule. get whatever size you like, but don't forget you need tubes too! $49.98 all together, black
Pegs: Animal Lino G, Animal pegs rule. $19.99 a piece, so $39.98 for a pair. black
Hub Guards: Daily Grind & Daily Grind, both chromoly & will fit the hubs I listed. Will last a long time too & slide very very well. $35.98 all together, black

|

5/4/2014 10:17 PM

Photo
|

5/4/2014 10:23 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote: Photo

i know this is probably a stupid question but what is a chainstay? because T-Rider told me to get a 13 to 13-5 chainstay for street riding...

|

5/4/2014 11:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2014 11:10 PM

Zach dude it your freaking money do what you want buy what you want to buy. I know your new to building a custom but it your money it your bike don't let others people tell you want to buy i know they here to help. But come on man this is your bike not there's buy the bike or frame and parts you like than have fun building your bike if you let them tell you what to buy then it not your bike it there's because they told you what to get. I'm building a bike now I got a fit wifi frame I'm buying my own parts that i want it good parts. I don't know what else to say. You can get a good bike for your budget. A custom bike isn't custom if you didn't build it. So you build your own custom bike be happy ride with your friends.

|

5/4/2014 11:11 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I got bored so I threw this together: black frame with everything black & subtle red accents since you mentioned red. All ...more

How does this build look? http://gyazo.com/1ebf7a53686bf6a6d7d81557bb4c72fe

http://gyazo.com/e8d3d03fee90a0195a5a6010f7c16a25

http://gyazo.com/ab5e1aaa28df54a7ffa9e42b34fd2bda

|

5/4/2014 11:19 PM

^^^ looks good to me, don't forget that what fbmbmxer said though. It's your build, so you can look through danscomp & see what other parts you might like instead. Just post them here & me and the rest of vital will tell you if they're good or shit.

Also, chainstay is this piece

Photo

|

5/4/2014 11:22 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I got bored so I threw this together: black frame with everything black & subtle red accents since you mentioned red. All ...more

Dude did you read my post if you like buy it this is your money and your bike not there's. If you like buy it build it and have fun you going to spend more time asking want to buy.

|

5/4/2014 11:42 PM

Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

Zach dude it your freaking money do what you want buy what you want to buy. I know your new to building a custom but it your ...more

i understand you but i dont know if some parts will work together or if they are even good so im going to do what sunday said i will find parts that i like and look good and i will do some research on them ask some people and see if they are any good...

|

5/5/2014 12:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2014 12:19 AM

Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

Zach dude it your freaking money do what you want buy what you want to buy. I know your new to building a custom but it your ...more

zach_bikess wrote:

i understand you but i dont know if some parts will work together or if they are even good so im going to do what sunday said ...more

Nevermind all parts would not work together. I was trying to said that also buy the parts you would like. Just have fun building your first custom.

|

5/5/2014 12:14 AM

Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

Nevermind all parts would not work together. I was trying to said that also buy the parts you would like. Just have fun ...more

|All parts would work together.

No, Profile sprockets will not work with Odyssey Thunderbolt cranks, which will not work with a 19mm Spanish bottom bracket, which will not work with a Fit frame.

Maybe he wanted help on what parts would be ideal, which is why I gave him suggestions. Had he gone onto Danscomp by himself and chose parts at random based on parts he liked solely on color/looks or something, he could have ended up with several parts that are not compatible.
|

5/5/2014 12:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2014 12:24 AM

zach_bikess wrote:

i understand you but i dont know if some parts will work together or if they are even good so im going to do what sunday said ...more

Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

Nevermind all parts would not work together. I was trying to said that also buy the parts you would like. Just have fun ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote: |All parts would work together.

No, Profile sprockets will not work with Odyssey Thunderbolt cranks, which will not work with ...more

I'm sorry i should of let you handle this and help him since you know more and since you been longer. I was just try to help also.

|

5/5/2014 1:05 AM

Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

I'm sorry i should of let you handle this and help him since you know more and since you been longer. I was just try to help ...more

I didn't mean what I said in a rude way, I was just saying that maybe he wanted suggestions on parts as well.

|

5/5/2014 5:07 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote: |All parts would work together.

No, Profile sprockets will not work with Odyssey Thunderbolt cranks, which will not work with ...more
Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

I'm sorry i should of let you handle this and help him since you know more and since you been longer. I was just try to help ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I didn't mean what I said in a rude way, I was just saying that maybe he wanted suggestions on parts as well.

It cool i know you wasn't trying to be rude. Just trying to help out someone new. I know new people join this site asking what bike to buy or what should i get out this it be between two or six bikes or what kind of frame to buy and parts. Maybe because i never asked for any help on what to buy or what not to buy I just search what the best cranks frame etc that how i learned on buying my stuff everybody is different. I know people ask for help. What's the best bike or frame and parts to buy people that are trying to help suggest to buy this or that. Like i said a custom isn't a custom if you didn't build it. As long as he is happy that's are it care.

|

5/5/2014 5:17 AM

Personally id get the Envy. Its practically an aftermarket WTP frame with all aftermarket Èclat and WTP parts. To build that exact bike would be around $1600. It has great street/tech geo aswell which sounds like what you need. If there is a 21.25 option, id go with it. A 21" will do fine otherwise.

If youre okay with the colorway its available in and like the parts on it, get it. Theres not a single weak part on there.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/5/2014 6:13 AM

Hey I run the wethepeople envy 2014, I bought it January and it's lasted me this Long without a single problem at all, its smooth to ride and personally for me the geometry is perfect, that said you need to think what's the best for you.

But the wtp envy is a solid bike and is deffinetly a steal for what it's priced at.

|

5/5/2014 8:34 AM

You can get a custom like the one i put in the other thread for a bit more that 1200. Id go with a custom.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx