Custom vs stock

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2015 10:45 PM

Whats the difference between a custom bmx bike vs a complete bmx bike? Whats the general difference

|

Dream - Trans red BTM 8============================================>

7/24/2015 10:57 PM

a custom is going to be tailored to the rider, its going to have parts that the rider has picked specifically to suit his or her body type, and riding style. buying a custom bmx bike isn't an advisable thing especially if the person isn't anything like you.

a stock bike isn't going to have as strong of parts or it may have parts that don't fit your body type (for example my bike came stock with 175mm cranks and those killed my knees, way to long, i changed to 170s and it was better now i'm riding 165mm and it feels amazing!) but a stock bike is where any beginner should start. a custom bike could get them a bike that's no where near what they need. stock bikes are meant for those who aren't experienced enough to know what parts they need to get in order to build themselves up a proper bike suited for their riding or body type.
i would get a high end complete, and ride it, and when a part breaks you'll have more experience and know what kind of part you'd like to replace the broken or damaged ones with.

400-500 i'd say is kinda the mid range and about a good place to start on completes, but if the most you can afford is 250 buy the best thing u can find for that price, any bike is better then no bike.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/25/2015 4:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2015 4:02 PM

Custom all the way.

The main difference between a custom and a stock... you build the bike to fit YOUR riding style. How big do you like your bars, your frame, what color schemes do you want, pedals, cranks 22mm or 19mm, etc.

|

Creating life the way we envision it!

Determination Overcomes Talent

Dot_Company Instagram

7/25/2015 8:15 PM

Dot_Company wrote:

Custom all the way.

The main difference between a custom and a stock... you build the bike to fit YOUR riding style. How big ...more

My customs pretty stock. It's a bike. I like framesets so i have a redline device G7 frame and forks, I'm not running massively gigantic bars so I have device bars also.

I did get to pick my TT length of 21.25" and my handlebar rise. My crankarms are a pretty standard 175mm length. And I upped my front chain wheel to 28t from the standard 25T.

The reason my custom is pretty stock is because way back in the day, I had a stock complete bike. Since it's what I learned in and got used to, I kind of stuck with that.

A complete is a great way to figure out what the fuck, if you don't know what the fuck. And since the crappy stuff breaks, you can decide to replace with the same dimensions or change things around. Kind of like creating a baseline for yourself.

How are you going to know what you like if you haven't tried it.

You can build a shit custom for yourself if you don't know what you want. You can also buy a badass complete if you do know what you want.

The general difference is upfront cost of the two. A complete is probably gonna be cheaper by atleast $500 and a custom is probably gonna be around $1500 (on the cheap, no $400 rear wheel) everything is preference. Even between stock completes, they're not cookie cutter bikes. Not all brands and models have the same dimensions, etc...

General difference between a custom and complete = $$$
Major difference between bikes, custom and complete = everything else.

|

7/25/2015 8:56 PM

Nwewinit wrote:

My customs pretty stock. It's a bike. I like framesets so i have a redline device G7 frame and forks, I'm not running ...more

^this,

you can sometimes IF you knwo what the fuck- get the parts used or 2nd hand from people*like vital* and it'll cost less to build a custom but buying used well yeah buyer be ware. ive been pretty lucky tho. only bought from highly respected people. mine is probably somewhere around 1200 if i had to get a new frame, i'll easily go to 1500ish So hes right on the money for that! but thats witht he parts at "New prices" i think i only put about ehhhh 500 into my bike which was a stock walmart bike, and made it into my custom- look at my check in the signature ive got before and afters on it. but yeah it all comes from experiance and knowing what you want in a bike. if you dont know dont bother and just get a complete and start with that.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop