Cutting Steerer Tube?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2010 11:42 AM

I'm planning on getting a Profile Push stem for christmas and was going to cut my steerer tube because right now its long and with a topload I think it'll be too high for my likings.
Any advice?
I have Odyssey Cs2 race forks If that helps.
Oh and is the steerer tube threaded deep enough where its safe to cut it?

|

MOTW 10/18/10 - 10/24/10
MOTM- April 2011
youtube channel: *SUBSCRIBE PLEASE* http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEod1214?feature=mhum
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @eoin_666

11/27/2010 11:43 AM

yes yes yes

|

40+ Reffs on my profile Hit it up
IM LEGIT I'VE BEEN HERE SINCE 08' NIGGA

I AM BACKAGAIN4thTIME...
I ♥ yaya2893

11/27/2010 11:43 AM

yes and i cut my with a saw.

|

REFS LIST IN PROFILE

Ressler711 is the definition of "chill rider."
I'm fundyssey23 and I approve this message.

"In the streets."

11/27/2010 11:48 AM

fundyssey23 wrote:

yes and i cut my with a saw.

okay cool, i just didnt want to cut it and fuck up or not be able to tighten haha.

|

MOTW 10/18/10 - 10/24/10
MOTM- April 2011
youtube channel: *SUBSCRIBE PLEASE* http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEod1214?feature=mhum

11/27/2010 1:00 PM

make sure you dont cut it at a slant i heard thatll fuck up the whole system

|

11/27/2010 1:06 PM

Why do you want to cut it down?

|

PSN - TheNunPoacher

11/27/2010 1:09 PM

camjf wrote:

Why do you want to cut it down?

Because with a top load stem and the curretn hight of my steerer tube, my bars would be too high and i dont want them that high

|

MOTW 10/18/10 - 10/24/10
MOTM- April 2011

11/27/2010 1:11 PM

solution: don't get a topload stem.

|

All my edits are iPhone edits...

last member of the week ever

G-SPORT - S&M - FIT - ODYSSEY

11/27/2010 1:12 PM

Skooter wrote:

No. I want my bars higher.
But with the current length of my steerer tube, itll make my bars outragiously high.

|

MOTW 10/18/10 - 10/24/10
MOTM- April 2011

11/27/2010 1:16 PM

Skooter wrote:

eod1214 wrote:

But with the current length of my steerer tube, itll make my bars outragiously high.

Okay, look at it from a financial prospective

A new stem is going to cost you however many dollars, and if you break your forks, they wont be covered buy the warranty, so you will have to spend money on new forks. Or you can just keep you stem and buy some bigger bars, not void the warranty on your forks and save yourself a shit load of money

|

PSN - TheNunPoacher

11/27/2010 1:22 PM

Skooter wrote:

eod1214 wrote:

camjf wrote:

A new stem is going to cost you however many dollars, and if you break your forks, they wont be covered buy the warranty, so you will have to spend money on new forks. Or you can just keep you stem and buy some bigger bars, not void the warranty on your forks and save yourself a shit load of money

I see, but i want a top load stem, i could just have a shop do it for cheap.

|

MOTW 10/18/10 - 10/24/10
MOTM- April 2011

11/27/2010 1:22 PM

camjf wrote:

Cutting the steerer tube doesn't void the warranty on Odyssey forks. I don't know about any other forks, but I wouldn't suspect that it would do anything to the warantee.

My advice is after you get that stem, just put the spacers that are currently below the stem above the stem and adjust the headset as usual. Then ride it for a bit. Then you'll have a feel for how it would be with the steerer cut and all spacers removed BEFORE you go through and cut it.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

11/27/2010 1:23 PM

eod1214 wrote:

camjf wrote:

tibug wrote:

Cutting the steerer tube doesn't void the warranty on Odyssey forks. I don't know about any other forks, but I wouldn't suspect that it would do anything to the warantee.

My advice is after you get that stem, just put the spacers that are currently below the stem above the stem and adjust the headset as usual. Then ride it for a bit. Then you'll have a feel for how it would be with the steerer cut and all spacers removed BEFORE you go through and cut it.

I will do that, Thank you

|

MOTW 10/18/10 - 10/24/10
MOTM- April 2011

11/27/2010 1:24 PM

put the topload stem upside down =P
that'll make it shorter

|

11/27/2010 1:26 PM

eod1214 wrote:

camjf wrote:

tibug wrote:

Okay, I just thought that companies will look for a excuse not to replace a part. Sorry for that.

|

PSN - TheNunPoacher

11/27/2010 3:15 PM

camjf wrote:

Okay, I just thought that companies will look for a excuse not to replace a part. Sorry for that.

Nah mate you're probably right about that for some companies. A lot of them will look for an excuse not to replace a part.

|

11/28/2010 6:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2010 6:28 PM

i cut my directors and it didn't tighten right so i cut the compression bolt then it worked so yeah

|

█▄█ █▀█ █▀█ █▀█ █▀ █▀
█▀█ █▄█ █▀▀ █▄█ █▀ █▀

ref-spikez5

11/28/2010 6:30 PM

tibug wrote:

this is what i did

|

refs: Spikez5, cokacola, dacumup213 (x2), josh estey, Blake El Gingero, naters14, Harry95, pcoco, hattrckhcky, bstick, kevinl, Sunday.bmx21, dgisback, iridebmxeveryday, I RIDE

11/28/2010 6:33 PM

i cut my steer tube and had zero problems, just take your time, and get a file so that you can reallly smooth out the rough edges after

|

Refs: 36 + (i forgot a few)!! ScramHype (x2) , TCbmx.(x4), Ecuadevil (x3), Lee Rager (please dont delete me) x3, Futurefbm, genisis,netti spagetti, carjakester,BMX-\1995/, showtime402 (x2), 562_Rider , SuperstarDk (x2), Kurt4413, Joe green (x2), Dee hos, Spenlard,roqfan,Stolen Cherry, ninjacat33, Broughton, also local deals with Droogskull, and jbeaton13

11/28/2010 7:05 PM

camjf wrote:

tibug wrote:

gstring02 wrote:

this is what i did

Smart boy!

|