Cutting down bars

Related:
Create New Tag

7/4/2013 12:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2013 12:31 AM

I got fly isla's, 29 wide and 9 rise, 12 back 2 up...

I want to cut them down to 28.5 or 28...

I want to throw barspins quicker and just have the ends of my bars out of the way for inverts and stuff...

Do you guys think i should do it? (keep in mind im a park rat)

The bars are fine to me, ONLY when i try tucking in my inverts and barspins shit me.

What are your guys opinions? Worth it or nah? I just hate throwing inverts into my fucking nipples and bars stabbing me all the time, i can't do invert airs because my top ALWAYS get's stuck :/

ALSO, i don't hold my bars at the end of the bars, i hold them past the middle, so it wouldn't make a difference would it? Like i wouldn't even notice they are less wider than they were only the positive able to barspin properly and invert nicely?

|

7/4/2013 12:59 AM

I had an 8.25- 28 and upgraded to an 8.75 - 29, I cut the 1/2" off both ends, feels great.

|

7/4/2013 1:21 AM

How about trading up with a friend whose bars have the specs you want or atleast borrow and try if you like it.

The resell value of cut bars are pretty low... (i think)
And you can't put the cut part back in case you don't like the feel?

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

7/4/2013 1:53 AM

if ya do want to cut em go for 28.75 then do it in small increments so you don't go too far that you fuck it up.

|

Bruh

7/4/2013 2:25 AM

I would do it, I kinda also wanna cut my Montanas.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

7/4/2013 5:33 AM

measure twice, cut once. small increments cause once its gone it cant go back. use a pipe cutter for best results and a nice straight cut. i cut any bars i have that are wider than 27 and it always works out just fine

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/4/2013 6:27 AM

If you don't ride with your hands out on the ends cut your bars down to where your hands naturally stay on the bars .

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

7/4/2013 6:32 AM

tomdon wrote:

measure twice, cut once. small increments cause once its gone it cant go back. use a pipe cutter for best results and a nice straight cut. i cut any bars i have that are wider than 27 and it always works out just fine

what kinda pipe cutter do you use, ive always had the worst luck with them cutting wrong and allot of times the blade breaks, never have issues with seat posts just the chromoly parts ive cut in the past

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

7/4/2013 6:38 AM

tomdon wrote:

OneEyeIlluminatiGuy wrote:

what kinda pipe cutter do you use, ive always had the worst luck with them cutting wrong and allot of times the blade breaks, never have issues with seat posts just the chromoly parts ive cut in the past

you gotta start slow to create a cutting groove. like lock it on and rock it back and forth like a quarter inch till theres a groove to keep it in line. then rock it again so it comes out of the groove like an 1/8 of an inch and makes the grrove longer. do that till your all the way around the bars with a straight groove. then you can just wheel it around and tighten every so often till it's done and cut

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/4/2013 9:57 AM

I cut like 2"s off my rant bars and I used some weird pipe cutter my brother had but I forgot where he got his...

|

Don't tell me how to live my life!

I failed the life test...

7/4/2013 10:02 AM

I cut all my bars to 27 using a hacksaw, what I do is measure & mark the bars where I wanna cut em, then I put duct tape round where I've marked, as long as the duct tape all lines up you know you got it straight, then hack away, takes me about 10mins and works out fine every time.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

7/4/2013 12:35 PM

cut em down so your grips are on the bends, taking it wayyyy back

|

It’s all bmx

7/4/2013 4:11 PM

I have been debating on cutting my t-1s to 27 for the last week lol. I can't ride for shit with wide bars.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/4/2013 4:12 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

cut em down so your grips are on the bends, taking it wayyyy back

I ride bars like that.Photo

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/11/2013 3:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2013 3:11 AM

Mine were 9" rise 30" wide, cut them down to 28.5 and it feels perfect. If you don't have a pipe cutter, do what Soulrebelrastaman said and tape where you want to cut with the marking in the middle of the tape and that will keep your hacksaw from slipping. You should be good.

|

7/11/2013 5:14 AM

Cut them to 28" That's really as wide as anyone needs a set of Bars. What i like to do personally is run 160mm Grips, run them just before the bends of the Bars & then cut off whatever is left on the end of the Bar. 27.5" to 28" is where you want them to be! Before anyone starts bitching that they're too short, I for a number of years wouldn't run any bars over 26" & in the past i have had bars at 22.5" wide! 27.5" or 28" Feels perfect.

|

7/11/2013 7:30 AM

Four wrote:

I ride bars like that.Photo

Very nice colour scheme ya got Four...

|

Bruh