Cutting my bars

Related:
Create New Tag

2/14/2017 10:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2017 10:38 AM

Hello, I currently have bars with a 9 inch rise and they are 29 inches wide. I want to get them to around 27.5 wide, but I want to keep my same grips so I don't have to buy new ones. Can I just cut the bars and the grips? Or would I have to take the grips off, buy new grips and bar ends? If I can cut the grips too, would I have to buy bar ends? Thanks

|

2/14/2017 10:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2017 10:54 AM

Just move the grips further in on the bars and pull your barends out, then when they're cut, put them back in. Also, use a pipe cutter if you can, much cleaner cut so your barends will last a bit longer.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/14/2017 11:38 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Just move the grips further in on the bars and pull your barends out, then when they're cut, put them back in. Also, use a pipe cutter if you can, much cleaner cut so your barends will last a bit longer.

How do I move the grips forward?

|

2/14/2017 11:47 AM

Slide a narrow Allen key or something under them, and squirt a bit of hairspray under them. Or just force them. Just slide them out the way enough so you don't cut them when cutting your bars, then move them back to where you want them after

|

2/14/2017 11:50 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Slide a narrow Allen key or something under them, and squirt a bit of hairspray under them. Or just force them. Just slide them out the way enough so you don't cut them when cutting your bars, then move them back to where you want them after

Thank you

|

2/14/2017 1:20 PM

Don't use hairspray. Use wd40. Works so much better, and they won't be glued on when you need to replace them.

|

2/14/2017 2:02 PM

Pressurized air is good for putting on and moving grips. If you have an air compressor...

|

2/14/2017 2:19 PM

Roose87 wrote:

Pressurized air is good for putting on and moving grips. If you have an air compressor...

This I definitely the best choice, but wd40 is a very close second, especially when you factor in price. Most people don't have an air compressor, but if you do, use that.

|

2/14/2017 7:38 PM

heyy its mee randy weeeb i hav a air compresser huhhuh amint i coool??!!

|

2/14/2017 9:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2017 9:22 PM

Try them all and find out what works best for you.

|