DIY Ledge spot

Related:
Create New Tag

9/18/2020 8:01 PM

Hey guys. me and my buddies are looking forward into building a diy ledge curb just to have something to grind on.
if you guys have any tips that will be really helpful. English is not my top language and out here products name are totally different so that wouldn't help if you share information like this with me
but everything about technique and etc. will be very appreciated !

basically were thinking just to make the pattern of the curb from cinder blocks we find in constructions sites
apply some kind of glue to put it together and than cover it all with cement and than add the angled steel piece on the side.

we have never done any similar project. actually I'm not sure about the products we need at all, how to level the curb, when we add the angle metal coping thing (should it be higher from the ledge cement? u glue it after the ledge is dry?)
how much concrete we will need? how much water it needs? is it needed to be mixed with something else?
how do we make this ledge have a nice finish look to it and not just crappy cement obstacle?

any article, photos, story's related into the explanation will be very appreciated !! thanks a lot !

|

9/18/2020 9:17 PM

Liquid nails & the bricks pictured. I made a ledge like a year ago and it just started chipping. Photo

|

9/18/2020 9:18 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Liquid nails & the bricks pictured. I made a ledge like a year ago and it just started chipping. Photo

|

9/18/2020 9:40 PM

Make it a long box out of wood..
A rectangle so you can flip it on one side or the other for two different heights like 18" x 24"..

Put removable casters on it so you can move it around easy..

Like these..

http://www.achilliesamps.com/casters/

Good luck!

|

9/18/2020 9:45 PM

Shaked wrote:

Hey guys. me and my buddies are looking forward into building a diy ledge curb just to have something to grind on.
if you guys have any tips that will be really helpful. English is not my top language and out here products name are totally different so that wouldn't help if you share information like this with me
but everything about technique and etc. will be very appreciated !

basically were thinking just to make the pattern of the curb from cinder blocks we find in constructions sites
apply some kind of glue to put it together and than cover it all with cement and than add the angled steel piece on the side.

we have never done any similar project. actually I'm not sure about the products we need at all, how to level the curb, when we add the angle metal coping thing (should it be higher from the ledge cement? u glue it after the ledge is dry?)
how much concrete we will need? how much water it needs? is it needed to be mixed with something else?
how do we make this ledge have a nice finish look to it and not just crappy cement obstacle?

any article, photos, story's related into the explanation will be very appreciated !! thanks a lot !

I made one using this video. It's strong and reasonably light. It shouldn't break the bank either

|

9/18/2020 9:51 PM

Wood > cement.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/18/2020 11:33 PM

Wood would be more ideal. DIYskate has good tutorials and you can always altar the plans to make it taller/longer as you like, it's what I did when I made a box jump using their plans.

http://diyskate.com/grind_ledge.html

But if you're set on the concrete thing, getting a few blocks would be more ideal than mixing your own concrete. They also have a nice tutorial on how to do that. Keep in mind, those blocks are not light and it will be very heavy when it's all assembled

http://diyskate.com/cinder_block.html

And yes, you do want the angle iron a tiny bit higher than the concrete itself, otherwise when you grind it you're going to scrap the rough concrete/wood.

|

9/19/2020 1:35 PM

thanks guys.
I'm kinda set on the concrete one thought. its gonna be on a spot we always ride but can't hide it and take the risk
it might end up in a bonfire so yeah..

ill check it out

|

9/21/2020 4:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2020 4:22 AM

Shaked wrote:

thanks guys.
I'm kinda set on the concrete one thought. its gonna be on a spot we always ride but can't hide it and take the risk
it might end up in a bonfire so yeah..

ill check it out

Be mindful that "permanent" diy obstacles will alert the owners a lot.

If you have space, build a grind box for riding at your home, or the home of a friend.

If not, I suggest something like the Subrosa rail. Colony is dropping/did drop one recently. Or see if a local welding shop could make something that pops apart for ease of hauling around.

Outside of that, I have seen cinder blocks, liquid nails caulk and angle iron. Put it somewhere rideable, but not obvious.

These guys skate, but you just adjust for the height you want/need:

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/21/2020 11:23 AM

|

Husky Nation Member

9/22/2020 5:34 PM

It reminded me of this gem XD.

STEVE BERRA FAKE SKATE SPOTS EXPOSED ??? - Steve Berra had supposedly 'FAKED' skate spots in some of his video parts... How do you guys feel about this??

https://www.facebook.com/Imskatebored/videos/steve-berra-fake-skate-spots-exposed-/1254820431392829/

|

9/23/2020 5:16 AM

surrealsickness wrote:

STEVE BERRA FAKE SKATE SPOTS EXPOSED ??? - Steve Berra had supposedly 'FAKED' skate spots in some of his video parts... How do you guys feel about this??

https://www.facebook.com/Imskatebored/videos/steve-berra-fake-skate-spots-exposed-/1254820431392829/

I legit don't care.

He still did some pretty solid skating.

But I also am not some "purist" who thinks you have to only ride one type of terrain. If someone in BMX hauled around boxes and "made" spots, good for them.

They created a better spot. Especially if they left the objects there. But even if they didn't, still don't care.

Back in the day we loaded a quarter and a couple grind boxes into a truck and hauled them around. We had a sick bank to wall and hip spot (seen in Erik Elstrans Real BMX part where he does bank to wall to tire slide on a rail) and put a quarter up on one end of the bank so you hauled ass and boosted into the quarter from the bank, and did all kinds of stuff with it.

Doesn't take away what we did with it or the fun we had.

Hell, I've taken my low rails and put them on stairs, curbs and other stuff to make them angled. Doesn't make them a handrail, but it made the spot more fun for me.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/30/2020 7:35 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I legit don't care.

He still did some pretty solid skating.

But I also am not some "purist" who thinks you have to only ride one type of terrain. If someone in BMX hauled around boxes and "made" spots, good for them.

They created a better spot. Especially if they left the objects there. But even if they didn't, still don't care.

Back in the day we loaded a quarter and a couple grind boxes into a truck and hauled them around. We had a sick bank to wall and hip spot (seen in Erik Elstrans Real BMX part where he does bank to wall to tire slide on a rail) and put a quarter up on one end of the bank so you hauled ass and boosted into the quarter from the bank, and did all kinds of stuff with it.

Doesn't take away what we did with it or the fun we had.

Hell, I've taken my low rails and put them on stairs, curbs and other stuff to make them angled. Doesn't make them a handrail, but it made the spot more fun for me.

Exactly! and those Fly Videos with pallets?! That shit is super creative and fun to watch

|