DK bikes suck?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2014 10:21 AM

Just wondering why nobody buys DK, Mongoose, or Diamondback bikes anymore? I have a really nice 2013 DK Kvant full chromoly, and I got it really cheap. Its probably one of the best completes for the money I have ever had, the only problem I had was the bars slipping and that was a quick fix. A friend of mine has a really nice 2013 Mongoose Chamber thats full chromoly and it came with a bunch of aftermarket parts stock, I actually like his more then mine. So whats the deal that nobody buys these brands anymore? Is it because they are too comercial? I know they have these bikes at Walmart, Kmart, Toysrus, and Sears, and most are poor quality, but if you buy the more expensive ones straight from the manufacturer, they are really good bikes.

|

2/17/2014 10:24 AM

I think if it's full chro u are nothing to worry about... (My opinion)

|

2/17/2014 10:34 AM

Its the stigma behind them since they sell shitty cheap Walmart bikes.. DK and Mongoose still makes pretty decent full chromoly completes and should be good for most people starting out, although I still would never buy anything Mongoose, maybe DK.. Diamond back is just garbage.. But that's all my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong

|

2/17/2014 10:36 AM

Im not really sure. But here are my theories: 1. They went to far in the commercial side wich turns people off when they see the brand at a walmart or kmart. 2. The team riders are not very well known. If you see Tom Dugan, Garret Reynolds, Tom White, Chad ect.. in the mongoose team, bet these kids will start buying those bikes in a heartbeat.

|

2/17/2014 11:06 AM

Same kids who berate haro too, they buy dirt cheap low quality complete and bitch on internet.

You get what you pay for, high end mongoose, diamondback, dk etc. are all great, look up the diamondback alt complete, was 600 and everything aftermarket with khe parts including ti spindle in cranks.

|

2/17/2014 11:15 AM

I had a Diamondback in high school back in 1998, no brakes, and no seat lol, it was badass at the time.

|

2/17/2014 1:07 PM

They do low shit, and that stuff is better-known that the normal completes.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/17/2014 1:49 PM

if you buy it from walmart, target, any department stores. the bike will suck ass.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

2/17/2014 2:16 PM

Its a shame kids dont buy more of the high end completes, everybody wants to be cool and buy the cool name brand bikes, ill take a DK over a Stolen bike any day

|

2/17/2014 2:33 PM

Dk is not bad at all drew bezanson and Jamie bestwick ride them you get what you pay for if you don't wanna spend on high end parts you have no reason to bitch about entry level completes

|

2/17/2014 2:34 PM

BMXSkater wrote:

Its a shame kids dont buy more of the high end completes, everybody wants to be cool and buy the cool name brand bikes, ill ...more

Same happens with eastern

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/17/2014 3:05 PM

Theirs this kid in my neighborhood that just bought a 2014 Kink Curb, we were at the basketball court the other day and he looked at my bike and said " DK lol! ", I looked at his bike and said " dude your frames not even chromoly, its hi ten steel, mine is chromoly and I got it way cheaper then you did your bike". He denied it till I showed him on my phone lol! He felt stupid.

|

2/17/2014 4:12 PM

Most kids getting into bmx are gonna buy a bike based off an image and name brand. For all those brands you listed they're associated with department stores and i think that's what hurts them the most. No matter the specs most kids these days want to have a "cool" bike and would rather have something like a completely hi-ten Cult or Sunday than a full chromoly mongoose for the same price just because of the name brand.

|

2/17/2014 5:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2014 5:32 PM

I think I can shed some light upon this matter....

As a wal-mart bicycle assembler and mechanic, I can say that the price point that the average customer is willing to pay for a bicycle 20" is roughly in the 70-100 dollar range, therefore, bicycles that are sold for more are generally left unsold, and then get "deleted and marked down and are not brought back into stock. this can be beneficial when looking for a good bike....

Ill give you an example, I recently sold a Schwinn Varsity 1300xl Road bicycle which was originally sold at 250.00, the bicycle was sold at 99.00 because it was deleted from the inventory.

Now. because the demand for high end bmx bicycles is essentially nonexistent at a Walmart store, they don't bother stocking the higher end models, The DK Cleveland, or DK Raven, The Mongoose Mode 900, The Shaun White Thrash 3.0. These bikes are available online though. So in order to continue supply, a bike manufacture may design a low end bike for department store sales, The mongoose Mode 100, 180's The DK Bestwick, great examples.

It is possible to buy a good bike from a department store, I've been very happy with my DK Cleveland, with 2 dk stock pegs on, and a kink super stump post, and pivotal odyssey monogram seat. odyssey slic cable and shadow sano brake lever, and shadow deadbolt ends, it weighs in at 28.04 pounds(weighed at my Walmart via the store's scale, Park tool's digital bike scale) without the pegs, fully stock i weighed it at 26 pounds. Full chromo bars, forks, and front triangle frame, mid sealed bearings, and 3 piece chromoly cranks, as well as dk alpha stem, and dk Chaka sprocket, The bike is excellent for any beginner, or even an intermediate rider.
Photo

to sum up, mongoose and dk get a bad rap because they sell low end bicycles designed for children who just want the look. (more so in the case of mongoose....) dk still puts a fair deal of effort into their bikes, Even the dk Bestwick, at 99 dollars is still a pretty nice beginners bike for any kid just starting bmx.... Though, dk also got a bad rap because they stopped supplying mail orders to concentrate on ibs, but also started selling at department stores too, What most people dont know is that at that same time, The company was bought out by Huffy Bicycles, and where added to the catalog along with all of huff's cheap ass lfdknsljfbl bikes. yes i said ifdksljkl huffy bicycles. As far as I am aware however, the Design team that makes the dk department store line of bikes is the same team that makes the regular dk bicycles, sold at their website.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/17/2014 5:05 PM

department store beginner bicycles...
Roadmaster, Now owned by Pacific Cycles.
Huffy bicycles.

Pacific cycles owns... Roadmaster, Schwinn, Mongoose.
Huffy Owns... dk, and makes Disney brand bikes.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop