DMR Three cranks, 36t spline axle problems

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2017 7:54 AM

Hi all!
I have bought from a friend dmr three cranks
They are loaded with a 36t spline, i wanted to use them on my bmx but apparently 36t axles dont exist
So I went for my GT single speed bravado bike which is euro bb
I have bought a gusset 36t axle which stated it was 22mm width and apparently is 20mm along with a salt euro 22mm bb set
My crank now just tightens up as the arms begin to pedal
Any ideas?
Spent nearly £50 just on the axle and bottom bracket and am beginning to think there is nothing that is compatible with these crank arms
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

8/12/2017 9:47 AM

It's a 36t sprocket. Probably 19mm spindle.

|

8/12/2017 11:41 AM

Does your frame have a euro bb shell? Have you installed the bb properly? Sounds like you might be missing the tube spacer, so the bearings are taking a side load and binding up, or you're missing the lock ring on the bb, so it's tightening as you pedal (gusset euro bb's are a bit hit and miss, some come with a lock ring, others depend on tube spacer length)

|

8/14/2017 5:42 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

It's a 36t sprocket. Probably 19mm spindle.

Yeah the sprocket is 36t
But the spline on the axle itself is 36t
Its a 73mm shell apparently, and the guy from the shop fitting it says it just tightens up when the crank turns
Also the axle width is 20mm and the spline width is 19mm
The bearings i got are 22mm...
I would just like to know if there is an actual euro 73mm shell bottom bracket complete i can buy and/or anything that fits any parts I already have..
Its starting to look like a lost cause now which breaks my heart

|

8/14/2017 5:47 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Does your frame have a euro bb shell? Have you installed the bb properly? Sounds like you might be missing the tube spacer, so the bearings are taking a side load and binding up, or you're missing the lock ring on the bb, so it's tightening as you pedal (gusset euro bb's are a bit hit and miss, some come with a lock ring, others depend on tube spacer length)

Yep it is euro on my frame
Its a salt 22mm euro bearing set i have for it so it should have come with all the washers etc but he also said my axle width is 20mm
The guy in the bike shop said its probably a 68mm shell bearing set and my bike is 73mm which also might be causing it to tighten itself
Being a 22mm bearing set would that be a problem ?

|

8/14/2017 9:17 AM

Gusset make a 20mm bb, for 20mm axles. Without detailed pics I can't tell why it's binding. But you literally just use 5mm of spacers plus the tube spacer between the bearings (might not be exact, but you can measure it. If the tube spacer is the correct length for 68mm, it needs to be 5mm longer for a 73mm shell). The guy in the shop should know that, I'd be hesitant to take it back there if he doesn't know how to space a bb properly or do simple maths

|