Daily Grind

Related:
Create New Tag

3/16/2014 7:08 PM

Super duper disappointed with the Daily Grind LT guard. Bought it at the beginning of January and due to cold and shitty weather its only seen a handful of rides, most of which were not grind heavy whatsoever. Today I was doing up-ledges and it dented in on my spokes to where they rubbed pretty heavily. I would bend it back or grind it down but honestly I dont trust it anymore after this instance. I emailed DG about it and got this as a reply, "We are currently out of all our rear guards, but up rails are the hardest abuse guards take because it's a big shift of momentum. I would recommend hammering it flat and I will send you our new Infinity Guard as soon as they come in. I do apologize for the LT guard, but people complained about the original weight so we sacrificed some weight and we weren't real happy with them either. Thanks for the support and I guarantee the Infinity guard will last and fit better."
So despite my bad experience, they are being an AMAZING company and replacing it with a better model so I couldnt be happier. Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/16/2014 7:10 PM

What wheel setup are you running?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

3/16/2014 7:11 PM

That's a hell of a ding haha, should've got the S&M Cymbal! Worth the extra money because due to the shape it'll kick you right onto the ledge/rail & if you land on it. I have the DG front guards though & they're awesome, slide like a dream. Good of them to hook you up though, especially on a hub guard since that thing's sole purpose is to take the dings your hub would normally take haha

|

3/16/2014 7:23 PM

isnowyaznV2, im running a Gsport Ratchet to Alienation 7up.

Sunday, I wish I could have afforded it. It was either this or the Jersey Barrier and tbh I wish I would have got the Jersey Barrier to match my front. I have one up front and its DESTROYED and just as old as this one, though im planning on getting chromoly sleeves made for it. I would do the same for my rear if I would have got one.

Going pegless until I get a new guard. I was told theyre getting a small batch next week but they wont be fully in stock until late April. Im really hoping he snatches one out of next weeks batch for me because im finally progressing decently at grinds which is something ive never been able to do and im afraid ill lose it over the span of two months.

On another note, I dented it doing upledge feebles to hop fakie downledge double pegs. Incredibly stoked on this. Sadly it broke as soon as we brang the camera out.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

3/16/2014 7:32 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

isnowyaznV2, im running a Gsport Ratchet to Alienation 7up.

Sunday, I wish I could have afforded it. It was either this or the Jersey Barrier and tbh I wish I would have got the Jersey Barrier to match my front. I have one up front and its DESTROYED and just as old as this one, though im planning on getting chromoly sleeves made for it. I would do the same for my rear if I would have got one.

Going pegless until I get a new guard. I was told theyre getting a small batch next week but they wont be fully in stock until late April. Im really hoping he snatches one out of next weeks batch for me because im finally progressing decently at grinds which is something ive never been able to do and im afraid ill lose it over the span of two months.

On another note, I dented it doing upledge feebles to hop fakie downledge double pegs. Incredibly stoked on this. Sadly it broke as soon as we brang the camera out.

just hammer it out or grind it down in that area, but make sure it's okay by them to grind it down first. idk if that would void their offer to replace it or not. that way you can still grind

I had the BSD guard awhile back. It wasn't bad, but after about 6 months of grinding on it, it looked like I lit it on fire. It was all fucked up haha. I grind A LOT though & the S&M guard I've had for almost 2 years now has no dents, dings, or anything besides a small part that's grinded down a bit. Also from the finish being marked up, if I sanded it down & repainted it, it would look nearly brand new.

|

3/16/2014 7:50 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

just hammer it out or grind it down in that area, but make sure it's okay by them to grind it down first. idk if that would void their offer to replace it or not. that way you can still grind

I had the BSD guard awhile back. It wasn't bad, but after about 6 months of grinding on it, it looked like I lit it on fire. It was all fucked up haha. I grind A LOT though & the S&M guard I've had for almost 2 years now has no dents, dings, or anything besides a small part that's grinded down a bit. Also from the finish being marked up, if I sanded it down & repainted it, it would look nearly brand new.

They actually told me to do whatever means it takes to fix it until they can send me a new one. I just dont trust it. I dont want to be miles away from home and be stuck because my guards dented into my wheel keeping it immobilized. Im just going to take this time to dial some tricks now that ive ditched a few pounds between the guard and my pegs. Hopefully learn flat 3s and maybe barspins.

|

3/16/2014 7:55 PM

wow, thats awesome. troy merkle actually showed up at a park not too far from me over the weekend and we chatted about the quality of their parts a bit. he was telling me about gremlin's hate for light & weak parts, but how kids always want the light shit. Daily Grind is one of those companies i think really tries to make the best quality stuff but good quality isn't always as easy to sell as you'd think. most kids want a few ounces off over quality. i really hope they stick around, im always worried for the small companies, haha.

|

Insta: @devicacy

3/16/2014 8:13 PM

Tim, you should just spit on it and shove it straight Up your ass. I had a cymbol. Gave it away cause I had to spread my G7 too far.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

3/16/2014 9:06 PM

They seem good but for a grinding - oriented company , thats shitty.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/16/2014 9:36 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

That's a hell of a ding haha, should've got the S&M Cymbal! Worth the extra money because due to the shape it'll kick you right onto the ledge/rail & if you land on it. I have the DG front guards though & they're awesome, slide like a dream. Good of them to hook you up though, especially on a hub guard since that thing's sole purpose is to take the dings your hub would normally take haha

This thread is a huge fucking bummer. I was so looking forward to getting a 4140 guard to replace my beat up fbm since grinding is like 75% of what I do, but if my 3 year old fbm is holding up better than a daily grind, I might just stick with it since it runs smoothly (dont have to spread frame/doesnt rub spokes), and does its job well. Keep us updated on the infinity tho!

Just curious, the reason I quoted your post was cuz im curious what you mean about the shape of the cymbal kicking you onto the ledge. I know its curved kinda like a bell, so it makes a difference in feel in grinds? I just got 4.5 animal pegs, so im feelin real locked in on grinds but the curved hub guard doesnt seem like a bad thing to add. also does 4140 vs aluminum really feel that different? cuz I cant even really tell if I hit my hub guard anymore since its so ground down

|

3/16/2014 9:53 PM

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

This thread is a huge fucking bummer. I was so looking forward to getting a 4140 guard to replace my beat up fbm since grinding is like 75% of what I do, but if my 3 year old fbm is holding up better than a daily grind, I might just stick with it since it runs smoothly (dont have to spread frame/doesnt rub spokes), and does its job well. Keep us updated on the infinity tho!

Just curious, the reason I quoted your post was cuz im curious what you mean about the shape of the cymbal kicking you onto the ledge. I know its curved kinda like a bell, so it makes a difference in feel in grinds? I just got 4.5 animal pegs, so im feelin real locked in on grinds but the curved hub guard doesnt seem like a bad thing to add. also does 4140 vs aluminum really feel that different? cuz I cant even really tell if I hit my hub guard anymore since its so ground down

I've had 2 FBM guards, both lasted me 6-7 months tops.

And yeah the S&M is curved kinda, I noticed a huge difference going from FBM to S&M. The FBM would catch the ledge & grind on the guard a lot more, then kick down to the peg. The S&M though, because of its shape, won't catch at all, meaning no grind resistance. Also due to its shape it fits pretty flush with my dropouts & even if I do grind on it during a grind, it's chromoly & slides MUCH better, so I don't notice any drag at all.

I've ridden aluminum, pc & chromoly guards.. Chromoly wins by far.

|

3/16/2014 9:55 PM

dang thats some good customer service. i had destroy bikes send me a frame with fucked up geo you couldnt even build it. then they stopped responding to me at all and denied all my calls and emails. i had to open a claim with paypal and i got my money back.

|

"Of course theyre compatible theyre cranks"

3/16/2014 10:12 PM

I've had really good luck with my GSport aluminum guard in the rear, wasn't aware the Daily Grinds fit on GSport hubs.
My BSD's up front were doing good till i cracked the front right one on gap to smiths and hop over smiths(just the plastic part)

Wish GSport would just drop cromo ones for the GSport front and rear.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

3/17/2014 9:30 AM

that sucks :/. Good that they are giving you a new one.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/17/2014 9:43 AM

sorry to sort of thread jack but we were discussing this on FB. Is it really that common to hit the hub/ hubguard? I ran a guard for about 2 months(aluminum Demo for the demo bullimia) and it was shit! In my 3 years of riding and grinding i have run no hub guards and NEVER had a problem.. I grind the dropouts a bit and every now and then ding the spokes but have never truly hit the hub.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/17/2014 11:20 AM

Chromoly guards for the win.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/17/2014 11:35 AM

Im running a Saltplus universal guard for almost a year now and its holding up great, no dents no nothing, perfect.

|

3/17/2014 11:36 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Chromoly guards for the win.

The LT is a chromoly guard.. and it definitely did not win.

|

3/17/2014 11:37 AM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

sorry to sort of thread jack but we were discussing this on FB. Is it really that common to hit the hub/ hubguard? I ran a guard for about 2 months(aluminum Demo for the demo bullimia) and it was shit! In my 3 years of riding and grinding i have run no hub guards and NEVER had a problem.. I grind the dropouts a bit and every now and then ding the spokes but have never truly hit the hub.

I had the FBM for probably 2 years before I got a Profile wheelset and Profile guards, RARELY did much damage.

Some of it is abilities, some environment.

But if it works for you to not have guards, good deal.

Hubs nowadays have a much lower flange which is a LOT harder to hit. Back when I started flanges for hubs were easily an inch to two inches outward, and were hit constantly. Dropouts were a lot bigger then too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/17/2014 12:15 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

I have never run an hubgaurd. I have grinded just a few times, but never have any problm.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

3/17/2014 1:54 PM

Jon just told me hes going to send me one of the Infinities from the batch hes getting on Friday so I wont have to wait a month. Incredibly stoked.

Shoutout to Jon and Daily Grind for being legit as fuck.

|

3/17/2014 2:05 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Jon just told me hes going to send me one of the Infinities from the batch hes getting on Friday so I wont have to wait a month. Incredibly stoked.

Shoutout to Jon and Daily Grind for being legit as fuck.

CSB

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

3/17/2014 2:08 PM

I asked if I needed to send him my LT and he told me to just smash it with a hammer so nobody else can use it.

Daily Grind is officially the most legit company ive ever dealt with! Will be receiving alot more business from me soon!

|

3/17/2014 2:29 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I asked if I needed to send him my LT and he told me to just smash it with a hammer so nobody else can use it.

Daily Grind is officially the most legit company ive ever dealt with! Will be receiving alot more business from me soon!

lol

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

3/17/2014 2:42 PM

Lesson learned: NEVER listen to weight weenies!

|

3/17/2014 2:44 PM

Fondue wrote:

Lesson learned: NEVER listen to weight weenies!

So much win. Lol.

|

3/24/2014 1:30 PM

Csb but I just got my infinity guard in along with a free dvd and some stickers. Jon @ Daily Grind really knows
how to take care of his customers. Huge shoutout to him for hooking this up. Couldn't be happier! Will post a comparison to the LT later. Photo

|

3/24/2014 2:17 PM

CSB!!

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

3/24/2014 4:02 PM

Like I Said On F/B I Want A Couple Of Those Stickers For My Bike BIIIIG Time!! Gotta Get TDG Guards for My Casual!

|

3/26/2014 8:05 PM

I've got the ratchet in the same colour with the ratchet guard aswell and got to say.....bloody nice. it lasts and for 6061 is slides great, but then i also have custom 6061billet pegs that i made and i love the feels of them. feels softer then 4130 but lasts only a little less. so i made the pegs with 6.159 walls.

Had to add the 159 into it because its my favorite number.

anyways its great that they sent you a new one. thats earnt my respect

|

The first breath is the beginning of death