Damn Tailwhips

Related:
Create New Tag

12/10/2014 8:27 PM

Alright, so i have forreal been trying them for ages hop. I can whip them around and stuff, i just cant get over it at all, Like it can smack me in the legs trying it but i cant get over them.

I will have a video up as soon as i can.

Can anyone that can actually do tailwhips help me out? I feel i could definitely get them if i could stay over the bike more.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/10/2014 8:30 PM

I have a similar problem. Always lands to the right of me.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/10/2014 8:32 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I have a similar problem. Always lands to the right of me.

I figured out why mine go to the side, it is because i don't stay over it enough and so i don't eat shit i push it over.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/10/2014 8:48 PM

Try them out of a flyout of some sort learning them hop is not the ideal way...

|

12/10/2014 8:50 PM

JNazarak642 wrote:

Try them out of a flyout of some sort learning them hop is not the ideal way...

I guess I can try them off my little dirt one but I don't have much of a flyout near me.

|

12/10/2014 8:54 PM

Yeah just even build the dirt flyout up a little bit if you can get close hop you can definitely get them flyout with a little practice.

|

12/10/2014 8:57 PM

JNazarak642 wrote:

Yeah just even build the dirt flyout up a little bit if you can get close hop you can definitely get them flyout with a little practice.

Okay, thats what a lot of tutorials say, i may have to man up and try em off my little flyout.

|

12/10/2014 9:43 PM

I can do one-footed cans, so I took it up to learn no-footed cans, and I'd get the feeling of letting go of my feet and stalling in the air. That's what motivated me to learn whips or even ATTEMPT them at all. Hell, I can barely 3 properly and I'd rather do whips any day.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/11/2014 2:20 AM

You have to commit to getting your front foot on, get your foot on and the rest will come. All about commitment

|

12/11/2014 5:21 AM

Do you have a Total BMX frame? These are important in learning whips and 1080s.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/11/2014 10:14 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Do you have a Total BMX frame? These are important in learning whips and 1080s.

Nope, that must be my problem. My steed isn't trendy enough!

But not really tho. I actually find the whips to be a lot easier on my Funday build, atleast getting them around and stuff. The Moose wasn't bad at all for them the standover was so high though it made it even harder. haha

|

12/11/2014 10:16 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I can do one-footed cans, so I took it up to learn no-footed cans, and I'd get the feeling of letting go of my feet and stalling in the air. That's what motivated me to learn whips or even ATTEMPT them at all. Hell, I can barely 3 properly and I'd rather do whips any day.

I got so close to hop no footer cans, my one friend always did them. Like 2 years ago i almost got one in bike i just slipped pedal and next thing i know my shin is bleeding haha. Eventually i will get them back, but that trick isn't what i wanna do yet. I wanna do whips. Once i land em i feel like ill throw em constantly.

|

12/11/2014 11:23 AM

JoeDavidson wrote:

You have to commit to getting your front foot on, get your foot on and the rest will come. All about commitment

For me this is false. I got my front foot on for the first time in 2004 or so. Took til 06 to get one to frame and pedal, and something like 09 or so to get one to pedals clean. I tried them every single session.

Can't do em anymore after destroying my back almost 4 years ago.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/11/2014 5:46 PM

I feel like when you land whips like that you are not committing to the trick, it's kind of like the pussy way to land, your too scared to keep the bike under you for fear of doing a dead sailor. Not saying I can tailwhip, but I'm basically stuck at the same spot you are. I think the best way to get over that fear is to try them in the foam, pit and then take them to rezi.

|

12/11/2014 6:28 PM

I can whip, not perfect, but I can. Only flyout/downside over pyramids, not flat yet. I do goofy whips though so they're a lot harder for me.

But anyway, try flyout. They're much easier.

Sounds like you need to get your legs over, and to do that you just need to keep your weight over/push down on your bars. That'll keep your weight forward and allow the bike to swing around faster, while keeping everything under you.

I was in your position forever, and one day figured out to just step over and I was catching 1 foot. Was stuck like that for almost a year until my friend who has them dialed told me I need to push down on my bars just a littttle bit more, and I'd probably land them. and he was right because in like a week I landed one. So basically what I think you need to do, is just TRY to step over. It seems weird (for me at least) but just step over your frame, and to keep your weight over, tilt your bars (Tilt left side down, right side up if you're whipping clockwise, and vice-versa for counterclockwise) and go for your pedals.

You have it easy though and don't necessarily need to worry about stepping over as a big issue like I do since I do goofy whips, so you can probably get away with stepping just to your front foot while pushing down, and with some practice you'll figure it out. Can't really help much there since like I said, I do goofy whips haha.

So to review:
-do your whip flyout
-when it gets halfway around, tilt your bars down (left side of bars tilt down if you're whipping clockwise/right if counterclockwise)
-Step to your pedals, don't wait for them to come to you, go to them.
-land

Pretty much it.

|

12/11/2014 6:58 PM

Personally i would say dont learn them flyout, thats all you will ever do them on, my first whip was in a quarter as you still use the hop whip motion rather than a flyout where you can just kick the frame around.

However it does come down to preference in the end, go for whatever you want.

|

12/11/2014 8:51 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I can whip, not perfect, but I can. Only flyout/downside over pyramids, not flat yet. I do goofy whips though so they're a lot harder for me.

But anyway, try flyout. They're much easier.

Sounds like you need to get your legs over, and to do that you just need to keep your weight over/push down on your bars. That'll keep your weight forward and allow the bike to swing around faster, while keeping everything under you.

I was in your position forever, and one day figured out to just step over and I was catching 1 foot. Was stuck like that for almost a year until my friend who has them dialed told me I need to push down on my bars just a littttle bit more, and I'd probably land them. and he was right because in like a week I landed one. So basically what I think you need to do, is just TRY to step over. It seems weird (for me at least) but just step over your frame, and to keep your weight over, tilt your bars (Tilt left side down, right side up if you're whipping clockwise, and vice-versa for counterclockwise) and go for your pedals.

You have it easy though and don't necessarily need to worry about stepping over as a big issue like I do since I do goofy whips, so you can probably get away with stepping just to your front foot while pushing down, and with some practice you'll figure it out. Can't really help much there since like I said, I do goofy whips haha.

So to review:
-do your whip flyout
-when it gets halfway around, tilt your bars down (left side of bars tilt down if you're whipping clockwise/right if counterclockwise)
-Step to your pedals, don't wait for them to come to you, go to them.
-land

Pretty much it.

Okay. I think i will try this, Im gonna work on them and use this information and come back here with a video and maybe that will help even more.

Thanks so much dude, i really appreciate it.

|