Dans, Empire or Albes for custom wheels?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/11/2014 2:02 PM

So I finally blew out the axle on my stolen revolver front wheel. Really surprised at how long it lasted. Reviews on it are terrible but mine was doing just fine until I started learning 180 to smiths. So now im looking for who you guys prefer to get custom wheels from. I remember hearing the guys at dans were lacing their wheels in an unusual pattern. Share your experiences. Thanks.

O and gonna go for marmoset w/ hazard light most likely.

|

References - jared42069

4/11/2014 2:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2014 2:13 PM

empire laced my current wheelset. i think they did a pretty solid job, wheels were perfectly straight and all spokes were properly tight. never got wheels from dans or albes so i cant say much about them

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

4/11/2014 2:34 PM

Excuse me if im wrong, but a wheel is a wheel. Aslong as it is true, dish, and has the correct spoke pattern and tension, it will be just as strong no matter who laced it or how they did it. All 3 of the companies listed know how to lace/true/dish a wheel so it shouldn't make a difference who you get it from.

Majority of the bad reputations towards a company's lacing are full blown retarded. Its usually the riders fault for not maintaning their wheel properly. Every freshly built wheel will "wear in", or have spokes adjust/stretch to fit the wheel better. This results in them becoming loose and that results in the wheel pulling out of true much easier. Aslong as you tighten the spokes up when the wheel wears in after the first session or two, you should be fine.

Order from whoever has what you want for the best price. Theyre all great companies.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/11/2014 2:36 PM

Build your wheels yourself. Or send them to me and I'll do it for $10 plus shipping lol.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

4/11/2014 2:43 PM

I've only had wheels from albes and empire. All my wheels from those guys have been extremely solid and held up to many shitty landings, they haven't needed any truing yet and i've had them around two years.

|

4/11/2014 3:02 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Build your wheels yourself. Or send them to me and I'll do it for $10 plus shipping lol.

I might have to take you up on this sometime lol.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/11/2014 3:22 PM

Empire did my gsport wheels and they haven't need much work to keep the true and running sweet. Considering I'm heavier than the average rider and far from smooth.

Staff also built a pretty solid wheel for an ex rider over here back in the day. He wasn't all that smooth and that wheel never needed work

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

4/11/2014 3:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2014 3:28 PM

Buy the parts and lace your own. Well worth it imo

|

4/11/2014 3:34 PM

Ya im probably just overthinking it lol. But ive always liked empire the most, gonna go with them. Just realized my dropouts on my forks are bent too YAY. Id rather not lace my own wheel tbh. While it probably is a useful thing to know im too lazy and I know how to true wheels so thats good enough lol.

|

References - jared42069

4/11/2014 3:41 PM

I still say do it yourself. Its rewarding and not difficult and you can then start a side business once your skills are honed

|

4/11/2014 3:54 PM

I have ridden that empire and albes are really good.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/11/2014 5:48 PM

Just throwing this out there before someone comes in with "dans sux yo dey laeced mr rims nd did teh wurst jab evr on it!" & makes you believe Dans sucks at wheel building, I had them build my old wheels a few years ago & they did an amazing job, perfectly true as well.

|

4/11/2014 6:34 PM

Albes has Turbo! and Turbo rules!

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

4/12/2014 7:13 AM

Empire has built both of mine. Empire will build just one wheel for free where dans you have to order a set. Support empire regardless.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

4/12/2014 7:41 AM

I've had both Albe's and Dan's build up G-Sport wheel sets. They both came out fine. I'm not a hard rider so my wheels tend to stay true for a long while.

|

Back into BMX after 17 years. I just want to learn how to manual dammit!

2012 Fit WiFi Custom

4/12/2014 7:43 AM

Dans did my current wheels about 8 months ago and they are still true and good

|

4/12/2014 7:47 AM

I've always heard that albes and empire are really good and dans is hit or miss.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/14/2014 12:03 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I've always heard that albes and empire are really good and dans is hit or miss.

Ya thats what i've heard too. I ended up going with empire because their staff is always so nice. Gotta support empire or albes unless dans has some crazy deal.

|

References - jared42069