"Dead" Tricks You Still Do

Related:
Create New Tag

8/11/2018 7:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2018 8:39 PM

So I recently got bored and Googled Magic Carpet Grinds. I just wanted to see if anyone has done one lately. To my surprise, no one really does them anymore. If you don't know what it is, it's when you do a pedal grind in a double pegs form. No pegs touching.

Then I got to remembering all the grinds I use to do and still randomly try.

I still TRY Rodeo Grinds. Ruben and Charlie Crumlish are the only ones that look smooth. I've landed one that looked painful.

I still TRY Levitator grinds. Icepick with the pedal touching the object you're grinding (Made famous by Mike Tag. RIP). and I have yet to land a Levitation grind. Toothpick with the pedal on the object you're grinding (Made famous by the OG Legend Butcher).

Apparently these tricks are dead. Just curious if anyone tries tricks that are considered "dead".

|

8/11/2018 8:15 PM

I like to "try" lawnmowers lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/11/2018 8:24 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I like to "try" lawnmowers lol

Clint Reynolds would be proud. LOL. Still don't understand why people stopped doing them. They look great.

|

8/11/2018 9:00 PM

I do straight tooth picks all the time. Not tooth hangers but just regular tooth grinds, I feel like no one does them anymore save for like Sean Burns. Down handrails feel so scary but cool

x-ups/180 x-ups/360 x-ups. 3 x-ups feel badass, but I can only do them out of some flyouts and not over/off stuff, but all of those tricks I feel like you never see anymore

I was gonna mention crankflips, I've been doing them nearly religiously since 2009 when I learned them, but in the last couple years they've made a resurgence (to a lot peoples dismay lolol) but before they came back I always heard people say "damn I haven't seen anyone doing those since like the late 90s/early 2000s"

|

8/11/2018 9:12 PM

I do butcher grinds all the time

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

8/11/2018 10:25 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I do straight tooth picks all the time. Not tooth hangers but just regular tooth grinds, I feel like no one does them anymore ...more

I love tooths on minis. Osato and Friemuth style. And X-Ups are still crack if they look good. Most dirt jumpers had the dopest ones.

|

8/11/2018 10:59 PM

Grizzly Airs are a lot of fun and nobody is doing them.

|

8/11/2018 11:00 PM

fooby wrote:

Griz to Nac Nac

|

8/11/2018 11:02 PM

I do pegless butchers pretty often. And x ups, they were my best/favourite trick back in the day

|

8/11/2018 11:09 PM

fooby wrote:

oh shit I completely forgot about them even though I still occasionally do them… need to work on my extension ?

Photo

fast plant tailwhips are another I just remembered. on banks are cool but planting your feet on a tree or a wall and doing the whip feels so cool even though I can rarely if ever land them

|

8/11/2018 11:31 PM

fooby wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

oh shit I completely forgot about them even though I still occasionally do them… need to work on my extension ?

Photo

fast ...more

Sandy Carson had the best ones. Tajs were ill too

|

8/11/2018 11:36 PM

Tire grabs are a sweet one that nobody does anymore

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/12/2018 8:33 AM

Cherrypickers and hurricanes on flat, "Leary's" and toboggans (since Chris Moeller wrote for BMX Action years ago) on dirt...

|

8/12/2018 8:51 AM

Most tricks are dead because Bars, Whips, and Flips are all any one does anymore. *cough* Logan Martin *cough cough*.

|

8/12/2018 9:08 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I do straight tooth picks all the time. Not tooth hangers but just regular tooth grinds, I feel like no one does them anymore ...more

I loved doing toothpicks when I had pegs. Now I don't have them so I just do front tire rides down ledges. It doesn't feel the same...

|

8/12/2018 9:45 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Most tricks are dead because Bars, Whips, and Flips are all any one does anymore. *cough* Logan Martin *cough cough*.

That's actually quite true, I was away from riding for some years and when I've got back to it all I see in videos is basically whips, bars and flips. Not from everyone of course but it's way more common than it used to

|

8/12/2018 9:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 9:59 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

I dont like Logan at all....

Wow 3 whip over a spine, wow triple whip to bar air, wow straight triple bar over the hip

Gets annoying and boring real quick...

Logan is definitely a park/ flyout rider... bet he cant hop above tire height...

|

8/12/2018 10:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 10:51 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Wow 3 whip over a spine, wow triple whip to bar air, wow straight triple bar over the hip

Gets ...more

Dude, Logan is a freaking animal and one of the top park riders in the world. I wouldn't be a big fan of his riding style either but it is the way park riding has gone. I certainly wouldn't talk shit about him as he has put in a hell of a lot of work to get to the level he's riding at, whether or not he's repetitive.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/12/2018 11:21 AM

Rear pogo, front pogo, honestly most flatland tricks are “dead” because flatland as a whole is underground now (few flatlanders are famous at all, while other disciplines of bmx have tons of household names)
I guarantee that you could go up to any kid on a bmx and they’ll know mat Hoffman, Dave Mirra, Scotty Cranmer, Spencer foresman, and if you’re lucky, Ryan nyquist.
No kid is gonna know who Kevin Jones is, or Simon o’ Brien. Hell, I’ve run into some bmx kids on trips that don’t even know what the hell flatland is, but they can pull flairs on a 4 foot ramp.
Honestly any bouncing flatland trick is “dead”, even though I do them all lmao. Let’s see, another one I do sometimes are x-ups (the barspin before the barspin).
Turndowns I’m pretty sure are “dead”, even though the trick is radical and has a nasty tendency to get you caught where you can’t really bail, probably why it’s not used anymore, then again, truck drivers are the same way.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/12/2018 11:24 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Gets ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Dude, Logan is a freaking animal and one of the top park riders in the world. I wouldn't be a big fan of his riding style ...more

Logan Martin lacks creativity. I watched his winning x games run, and literally called out his trucks before he did them.
Dennis Enarson was robbed in my mind. But x games is a garbage contest anyway, so it really doesn’t count. Just there to please all the big corporate sponsors, since one of the most media covered events.

Also, so just because this has what the sport has “become”, means we need to accept it? And being repetitive is not the problem, it’s hi s lack of creativity. I mean, literally every edit I see of him is different varioations of the same four tricks. I’m NOT saying he is a bad rider, just WAY overrated.

|

8/12/2018 11:28 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Gets ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Dude, Logan is a freaking animal and one of the top park riders in the world. I wouldn't be a big fan of his riding style ...more

Yeah, i dont disagree that he is an animal for sure. His riding just lacks style... he's an animal for sure though...

I dont hate the guy, i shouldve said i dont like his riding style...

But theres just no creativity and evetything he dies is the same.... kinda boring if you ask me...

Like i said, he's an animal, just his riding style doesnt entertain me...

|

8/12/2018 11:49 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah, i dont disagree that he is an animal for sure. His riding just lacks style... he's an animal for sure though...

I dont ...more

It has happened to a lot of extreme sports in the last years. I've been snowboarding for more than 10 years and damn, slopestyle and big air have NEVER been this boring to watch. It's sad since all of these "alternative" sports have always been wonderful because of the whole creativity aspect but seems like they're slowly turning into something else.

And wait, people don't do lawnmowers anymore?blink

|

8/12/2018 12:17 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Gets ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

michael.eckhart wrote:

Logan Martin lacks creativity. I watched his winning x games run, and literally called out his trucks before he did them.
...more

I wouldn't say he lacks creativity; more, he knows what it takes to win contests. As far as I'm aware, he makes his living by riding contests so obviously, winning is going to be pretty important to him. I don't watch contests much and certainly not X-Games because I find everyone in every discipline rides the same, but even with that said, I can certainly respect what they do.

If you don't like how the sport is going, go change it...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/12/2018 2:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 3:52 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

I had a convo like this a month or 2 ago. It's not that it's not impressive but it's like playing Mat Hoffman or something and doing the same shit over and over just for points. At least in the games points get deducted for that.

I remember Craig Mast, Scotty Cranmer, and Mark Webb use to do them BUT they also rode street like bosses. The issue isn't the tricks. Its the fact that they're all TV wants. Think about how many X-Games Taj and Joe Rich and Bucther and Rooftop and Jimmy Levan were in. You never saw them because double flips and whips and shit.

I get why they do it but it's kinda stale when it's repeated over and over. Plus lets be real. The way they build these ramps and courses, they're made for quad whips and 720 flips. Ain't no rails or ledges or anything like that no more. I was watching Props and seeing Metro Jam and Backyard Jam go from street course to huge park course kinda depressed me.

EDIT: Just checked out some Logan clips. He's a big trick rider. I would love to see him do a handrail. LOL. Can't take nothing from him though. He's good at what he does. Ain't my style but he's not bad. I just find big ramp/big trick riding boring.

|

8/13/2018 11:24 PM

fooby wrote:

Photo

The Grizz Air will never die!
|

8/14/2018 12:35 AM

It’s pretty childish to sit and complain about some cool old school tricks are “dead” and how Logan Martin is only doing video games tricks and lack style.

If we want cool tricks to not die we should just go out and bring them back to life by doing them!

Though Logan’s riding style ain’t my favorite, I think it’s safe to say that he does what he’s passionate about because if it was just about money and fame there are way easier roads to travel than being a BMX pro at that level!

|

8/14/2018 8:40 AM

Barspins and tailwhips are not what I’m stoked on but Logan Martin is definitely a beast on a bike , your have to watch him ride in person to see how much control he has , dude does crazy shit foot on the gas all the time with so much control and amplitude , even in practices before contests he throws bangers like it’s nothing

|

8/14/2018 9:30 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Barspins and tailwhips are not what I’m stoked on but Logan Martin is definitely a beast on a bike , your have to watch him ...more

I know, that's what i like about Logan, goes mach speed everywhere and sends the biggest shit on all the biggest quarters...

But the thing is, thats all he does which gets boring to watch pretty quick...

I give him all the props he deserves, its just that is not my style...

I enjoyed eatching Steves little curb edit he put on Insta the other day, i enjoy watching that way more. But that is more of my style, just hop tricks and small, yet fun little jibs and lines...

|

8/14/2018 12:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2018 12:12 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know, that's what i like about Logan, goes mach speed everywhere and sends the biggest shit on all the biggest quarters...

...more

What's the insta? I'd love to watch that! I've been looking for cool curb videos.

Edit: I know what instagram is, what's steve's @ so I can watch?

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

8/14/2018 12:43 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Barspins and tailwhips are not what I’m stoked on but Logan Martin is definitely a beast on a bike , your have to watch him ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

...more

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

What's the insta? I'd love to watch that! I've been looking for cool curb videos.

Edit: I know what instagram is, what's ...more

https://www.instagram.com/no.pegs.just.steve/

AND

https://www.instagram.com/thegrey.bmx/

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson