Debating on getting Z Coaster

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2017 9:38 AM

So im building a new bike and I was planning on getting profile mini hubs but im tempted to get a z coaster. Im assuming its good and well made just bc its profile but any of you guys have one and is it worth it just bc they are expensive as hell?

|

4/9/2017 10:13 AM

It's a lot of money. Have you ridden a freecoaster before? If you have and you're sure you like it, go for it. But if you've never ridden a freecoaster before I'd suggest getting a cheaper one to try out. Like the salt trapez. That way, if you don't like it you can sell it on and not lose too much.

|

4/9/2017 3:19 PM

Try a coaster first see if you like it , if you don't get a profile elite if your looking to spend that kind of money

|

4/9/2017 3:42 PM

The hub itself is about 600$ here , if you wanted titanium hardware ( axle , bolts , driver ) and titanium spokes laced to a good rim , you're looking at around a 1200$ CAD back wheel alone ...

Just spend money on a regular cassette and a regular coaster and swap the 2 when you want

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/9/2017 10:53 PM

Let me give my 2 cents. Last year I bought a full Ti Zcoaster hubset. Front and rear hubs. And I gotta say, I had never hated my bike until then. The bearings or something were so fucking slow that it was torture trying to ride. Now let me explain, I am a pro flatland rider my name is Dax you can look me up. I have a fast style with tires pumped to 140 psi and can tell any little difference that happens to my bike.

It wasn't until I took the hubset off and sold it for half price (yeah I lost like $400 on that deal) that my bike could finally roll without slowing down again. I chose a merrit freecoaster on back and odyssey antigram up front. And voila my bike felt like my bike again! I could roll without slowing down and finish all my spins for the upcoming contest.

Now I don't know exactly what did it or if the tolerances were off in manufacturing or something was damaged by the shop when they upgraded to full Ti axles. Also it could have been that the grease was just excessively thick and according to profile "needed to be broken in" I have never fucking heard of hub grease that needs to be broken in I am sorry but that shit should spin for an hour right out of the box. And I don't usually overtighten anything on my bike so I don't see how that could be an issue. Oh yeah come to think of it I backed the cone nuts off on the Z coaster and it still rolled slow.

Anyways your mileage may vary. Maybe it was just a faulty hubset I don't know. Profile does make some good stuff and serviced my hubs, which I promptly sold when they came back.

|

Dax in Miami

I ride for:
Reklamation Bikes (Colorado)
London Bikes (Texas)

4/10/2017 12:24 AM

Metalbmxer wrote:

Let me give my 2 cents. Last year I bought a full Ti Zcoaster hubset. Front and rear hubs. And I gotta say, I had never hated my bike until then. The bearings or something were so fucking slow that it was torture trying to ride. Now let me explain, I am a pro flatland rider my name is Dax you can look me up. I have a fast style with tires pumped to 140 psi and can tell any little difference that happens to my bike.

It wasn't until I took the hubset off and sold it for half price (yeah I lost like $400 on that deal) that my bike could finally roll without slowing down again. I chose a merrit freecoaster on back and odyssey antigram up front. And voila my bike felt like my bike again! I could roll without slowing down and finish all my spins for the upcoming contest.

Now I don't know exactly what did it or if the tolerances were off in manufacturing or something was damaged by the shop when they upgraded to full Ti axles. Also it could have been that the grease was just excessively thick and according to profile "needed to be broken in" I have never fucking heard of hub grease that needs to be broken in I am sorry but that shit should spin for an hour right out of the box. And I don't usually overtighten anything on my bike so I don't see how that could be an issue. Oh yeah come to think of it I backed the cone nuts off on the Z coaster and it still rolled slow.

Anyways your mileage may vary. Maybe it was just a faulty hubset I don't know. Profile does make some good stuff and serviced my hubs, which I promptly sold when they came back.

Is this you ? If so , you're actually fucked on a bike . Damn ! I subbed . I almost want to say the music is Amon Amarth but I'm pretty certain it's not . If you know , share it please
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/10/2017 1:02 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Is this you ? If so , you're actually fucked on a bike . Damn ! I subbed . I almost want to say the music is Amon Amarth but I'm pretty certain it's not . If you know , share it please

WHOA gnarly!!!! I hadn't even seen my own video THANKS! Ironically I recognize that band bc I have been listening to them they are Be'lakor from Australia! I can't believe that channel used their music??? haha gnarly but maybe it's bc I had been riding to it. Embarrassing I missed those whoppers at the beginning!!!!!!!

|

Dax in Miami

I ride for:
Reklamation Bikes (Colorado)
London Bikes (Texas)

4/10/2017 7:17 AM

Metalbmxer wrote:

Damn man thanks for that long reply. Might hold off on it. I've never ridden a freecoaster before and thought it sounded fun but tbh I'm probably better sticking with a normal cassette hub. Don't really want to start anew thread but I'm trying to figure out what hubs to get. I know I like the profile minis and I hear the elite is good but tbh I don't know the difference between the two and it's expensive as hell. I'm looking at the odyssey antigram hubs and some ones from Merritt as well. Hubs don't necessarily have to match but I'm just trying to get some really nice ones. Leaving them to some ribcages too

|

4/10/2017 7:22 AM

I had the zcoaster for a little while because i won it at a jam. It is super solid, it never made the signature freecoaster pop like all the others do, and it feels like a cassette when engaged. As for rolling slowly, maybe it does but unless you are like that guy doing precise flatland where that kind of thing makes a difference, you won't notice.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling