Dented Rim

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2013 9:44 AM

Hello guys, I'm fairly new to BMX and today I dented my rim by catching a ledge in my back wheel. This also made a rip in the tire and two rips in my tube. I have fixed my tube, and I don't think a rip in the tire would affect anything. However, I don't know whether to buy a new rim or keep my old one with the dent in it. Should I always replace the rim, no matter how big the dent is?

Here are some photos:

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

8/14/2013 9:49 AM

not as bad as mine was and my dad just hammered it out.

|

Bruh

8/14/2013 9:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2013 10:08 AM

Oook, I'll probably do that then.

Edit: Well I tried that, without any luck. It barely did anything, and I stopped because I didn't want to make it any worse.

|

8/14/2013 10:12 AM

try using vice grips or pliers to bend it back out. if that don't work then get a new rim. that's right on the bead. not a good spot to have a dent

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/14/2013 10:15 AM

Pliers didn't help... I guess I'll have to buy a new rim, any good (and cheap) reccomendations from here? http://www.soulcycle.com/Articles.aspx?CurrentCat=SP&CatCode=SP_RIMS&SelectedCat=|SP_RIMS| Like I said I'm still a nub so I don't need anything too good.

|

8/14/2013 10:22 AM

What's your budget?

|

8/14/2013 10:24 AM

and how many spokes are on your back wheel?

|

8/14/2013 10:25 AM

Hammer it that's what I did

|

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!!

8/14/2013 10:39 AM

36 spokes, and budget is probably 50, unless there is something really good for 60.

|

8/14/2013 10:47 AM

go with the shadow stun. or if you can get the money go for the demolition zero

|

8/14/2013 10:48 AM

Wassili wrote:

36 spokes, and budget is probably 50, unless there is something really good for 60.

Look on Danscomp for rims and sort it by ascending price lowest to highest.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/14/2013 10:52 AM

tomdon wrote:

Ugh, the only color is olive, and I need black sad Are the Cinema 333's any good?

|

8/14/2013 10:53 AM

Wassili wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Look on Danscomp for rims and sort it by ascending price lowest to highest.

I can only buy from a local store.

|

8/14/2013 11:11 AM

tomdon wrote:

Wassili wrote:

Ugh, the only color is olive, and I need black sad Are the Cinema 333's any good?

Cinema is hit and miss. Some poeple like them and some don't. I don't care for them. And no the 333 isn't any good. You should never buy parts based on color

|

8/14/2013 11:16 AM

Yeah i know I shouldn't buy them because of color, it's just I want my bike to look sexy, and that green would ruin it :p And just a question, what makes a rim good, and what makes it bad? I don't see how they make a big difference on a bike, whether it's good or not.

|

8/14/2013 11:38 AM

Wassili wrote:

Yeah i know I shouldn't buy them because of color, it's just I want my bike to look sexy, and that green would ruin it :p And just a question, what makes a rim good, and what makes it bad? I don't see how they make a big difference on a bike, whether it's good or not.

The difference between a good double walled rim and a bad one is this: double walled rims were invented to keep tubes from getting punctured from the spokes on a single walled rim. Also they were a lot stronger! A bad double walled rim goes untrue very quickly, a good one doesnt nearly as badly. The dent thing probably wont happen, there are some that are stiffer due to the spoke hole positioning. Also apparently pinned seam rims break easier and such. But i have had an Odyssey Quadrant that has 4 pins and it is one of the best rims i have used to date! So dont count that rim out. But i do agree welded seam is way better because there is less a chance of it breaking. Look at the Sun Big Baller rim!! That is VERY good.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/14/2013 11:50 AM

Thanks for the information, I'll keep it in mind! I guess I'm gonna head to my shop tomorrow and buy some Odyssey Quadrants, they don't cost that much, and according to you they are great :D

|

8/14/2013 12:00 PM

Quadrants aren't the best rims. They are a pinned rim which is a weak style of making cheap rims.

To fix that dent you need to rest the rims side wall on a flat bench and hammer the dent out with a socket extension or something that you can hit and move around easy

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

8/14/2013 12:12 PM

Nah, I think I'm just going to buy new ones, because I don't have any of those tools since I just moved houses. My final question, should I buy new spokes or anything else or can I just use everything off my old wheel?

|

8/15/2013 2:37 AM

Bump?

|

8/15/2013 4:04 AM

wea re on the same boat ahah. i'm going to odyssey quadrants or fly piramides. A pinned rim is good for me , i'm not any pro.

|