Dieting

Related:
Create New Tag

7/23/2020 1:28 PM

Anyone here follow a diet to help them with performance and recovery? For the past year I've been trying to tweak what I eat so I can achieve the best performance and possibly recovery when I ride or get hurt. I'm taking a nutrition course this summer and it's helping me to get a more refined diet.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

7/23/2020 1:34 PM

I like McDonald’s and steroids

|

7/23/2020 2:10 PM

SlavBMX wrote:

Anyone here follow a diet to help them with performance and recovery? For the past year I've been trying to tweak what I eat so I can achieve the best performance and possibly recovery when I ride or get hurt. I'm taking a nutrition course this summer and it's helping me to get a more refined diet.

Far, far, far, far, far, far, far from an expert (or even remotely knowledgable here), but Rob Darden told me he eats based on what he plans for the day. Intake on a heavy riding day is drastically different than intake on a mellow day at home. When he got serious about this, there was a drastic change in his riding and energy. There's definitely something to it...

Nick Bruce swears by a vegan diet. It's obviously not for everyone, but watch the dude ride - it works for him!

|

7/23/2020 2:41 PM

I started eating green smoothies (green kale, spinnach, broccoli and some berries or what ever for taste)
for breakfast when I ride or work out in the mornings and that was a game changer for me! So much more energy and still feeling light in the body. I guess it's because it's a lot easier for the body to digest compared to "normal" food.

|

7/23/2020 2:46 PM

SlavBMX wrote:

If you want to keep it as simple as possible, research the vertical diet, or look up Dr. Baker's carnivore guidelines. If you want to dedicate serious time and energy, plant based/vegan feels good too. I did it for about 6 years when I was riding more seriously.

The forum is very cringy, but check out bodybuilding.com. Look into performance diets, stick to one for 6 months, learn the habit and discipline, and then freestyle your diet after you've built good habits.

|

7/23/2020 3:51 PM

the food you eat is the fuel for your body.

run shitty old gas in your car and see how well it performs.

what food works for you... you gotta figure that out on your own.

Fast food and cheap beer only gets you so far....

personally..

living on reds, vitamin C and cocaine... wink

|

7/23/2020 6:00 PM

I've been eating at least 3000 calories every day for the past year or so, does that count? I was always a skinny motherfucker, am no longer such a skinny motherfucker. People overcomplicate and polarize eating so much. Learning just the basics of nutrition and having a slight amount of self control/willpower goes very far.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/23/2020 7:30 PM

Keep on Truckin pnj!

|

7/24/2020 8:20 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I've been eating at least 3000 calories every day for the past year or so, does that count? I was always a skinny motherfucker, am no longer such a skinny motherfucker. People overcomplicate and polarize eating so much. Learning just the basics of nutrition and having a slight amount of self control/willpower goes very far.

Right on man. That pretty well sums it up. You have to eat to grow, as they say. I used weight lifting to help myself recover from some injuries and kept at it as kind of a hobby. It's fun and I'm stronger and healthier than I was when I started. I also put on about 20 pounds over a few years once I got consistent with the lifting and started paying attention to my diet. For me, the key to keeping my diet on track to suit my needs has been making it simple and easy for myself. I like to make things ahead of time best I can. Keeps me from running out of food to eat and having to resort to buying fast food and the like. Stick to the basics, make sure you eat when you're hungry, and don't go crazy with the snack food.

|

7/27/2020 4:32 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Wish I had that problem haha.

I have gained and lost 50+ lbs each year for the last 4 or so. Currently on the downward side.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/27/2020 4:44 AM

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

7/27/2020 4:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2020 4:48 AM

I dont think bmx is a sport that needs that kind of dedication... The best riders are at their level point due to them having fun with their bike and freinds.. i think doings stretching, orthopedic and strength excrises are way more important..

I just keep it vegan but not intentionally for riding bmx..

|

7/27/2020 6:08 AM

Shaked wrote:

I dont think bmx is a sport that needs that kind of dedication... The best riders are at their level point due to them having fun with their bike and freinds.. i think doings stretching, orthopedic and strength excrises are way more important..

The guys that do 360 triple whips are pretty much all ripped.
It just depends on what kind of riding style you aim for

|

7/27/2020 7:56 AM

Diet is one of those things that if you are fighting illness or getting older or I would imagine athletes start to worry about it. I used to eat terribly before getting lyme disease and then I had to learn how to eat better.

For me it's more about making sure I eat all the food groups well. Like I didn't used to eat much vegetables growing up and only liked a few. So I learned to eat more veggies now. And I eat fruit regularly. For a while I focused on organic but doing it ALL that way is very expensive and above our budget. Some foods definitely seem better for me. Like I spend money on Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal, gluten free, cuz it seems to make me feel better than quaker.

Anyways..... I don't eat much sugar at all, but that's got more to do with fighting lyme than a normal person. But for sure sugar is not really that good for you. I haven't had a soda in over 10 years. All I drink is water. Sometimes water with limes squeezed in it, and once in a while cranberry juice cuz I've had kidney stones. I used to drink herbal teas here and there too for health benefits.

Either way thinking about what you put into your body is probably a good thing. You gotta find out what works for you and what makes you feel better and I'm not sure I want to recommend anything. I've looked at many diets and I think they all have some benefits but also aren't right for everyone. My belief is every body is different and if a diet doesn't account for that it might not be the best. That being said there are some principles that are probably just good for everyone. Like eating more veggies if you don't already. That's just a simple one.

I think for athletes and building muscle you need protein. I personally think Vegan is not a good idea cuz everyone needs B12 and the only way you get real B12 is from animal protein and fats. Now, some people may do better with not a lot of meat and some people do better with more meat. But that being said, as someone mentioned if Vegan worked for them, more power to them. I just recommend for sure having a quality B12 supplement. Not just from Soy.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/27/2020 6:28 PM

Grass fed animals, more quality salt (no table salt), raw dairy, eggs, fish.

|

7/27/2020 6:29 PM

Also bahh bahhh.

|

7/27/2020 6:35 PM

Lol at the downvote for my simple, inoffensive, common sense post.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

7/27/2020 6:58 PM

i got fat as duck recently i just eat anything and crush beers like its nothing but honestly i work at a gym now that technically can still be open so i lift every day after work and even though im fat as shit im lowkey built like a dad. so not a fatass but not ripped just muscle and a belly.

|

13 years old

7/28/2020 12:46 AM

Cellmember wrote:

Grass fed animals, more quality salt (no table salt), raw dairy, eggs, fish.

Grass fed meat is definitely great if you don’t mind paying a little more. I use table salt because it has iodine. Supposedly it’s hard to get enough of it and a lot of sea salts and such are not iodized. I do keep the portions small though. A little shaker lasts me a number of months. Another really good thing is organ meat, but it’s usually hard to find here in the states. Beef liver is good and usually available if you can tolerate the taste.

|

7/28/2020 3:27 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

You wrote "mostly plants" and someone was like "what the fuck 'mostly plants'?! That sounds dangerously close to vegan, better down vote just to be safe!" :D

|

7/28/2020 4:23 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

MH wrote:

You wrote "mostly plants" and someone was like "what the fuck 'mostly plants'?! That sounds dangerously close to vegan, better down vote just to be safe!" :D

Don’t worry, he’s just smokin’ weed all day

|

7/28/2020 6:25 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

MH wrote:

Francky wrote:

Don’t worry, he’s just smokin’ weed all day

That's one way to get your greens in.

|

7/28/2020 8:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2020 8:30 AM

Cellmember wrote:

Also bahh bahhh.

I eat lamb now and then and I love it. A rack is expensive though.... yowza. We buy from Meyers cuz they carry New Zealand / Australia lamb and that is supposedly just grass fed. Some of the places that raise them in the states are corn fed. Unless it's a place that knows better.

All of us in our family love lamb. If you do spring for chops they're sooooo tender and tasty. With built in handles. LOL.

Another way to get lamb in a cheaper fashion not usually as healthy but soooo good is get a Gyro somewhere. I don't know if they are prevalent in other parts of the country but there seems to be a lot of Greeks in Milwaukee. A lot of the family restaurants are owned by Greeks and dang if a Gyro isn't one of the best things I've ever eaten. That yummy processed lamb/beef (i think some have pork too) combo meat in a thick pita. My gosh. Soooooooooooo good.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/28/2020 9:12 AM

I know Dan Lacey eats a vegan diet now and swears by it.

|

7/28/2020 10:30 AM

Speaking of vegan diets, my fiance was watching Netflix and came across a documentary called " Game Changers". It was pretty eye opening. I never would have thought any of the info in the documentary would be factual but I was looking up a lot of what they were saying as we watched it and it was all true. Hard to believe, but true. Check it out.

|

7/28/2020 3:12 PM

In my experience when someone says they're "Going on a diet" They can easily fail, because instead of thinking of it as "going on a diet" it can be more helpful to think about is as changing your diet. Our diet is what we eat it's not something someone should "Go on" Otherwise its easy to fall off

|

7/28/2020 3:15 PM

Francky wrote:

I like McDonald’s and steroids

mmm Ribwich Photo

|

7/28/2020 3:54 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

In my experience when someone says they're "Going on a diet" They can easily fail, because instead of thinking of it as "going on a diet" it can be more helpful to think about is as changing your diet. Our diet is what we eat it's not something someone should "Go on" Otherwise its easy to fall off

THIS.

|

7/28/2020 6:44 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

Totally, I think my diet is pretty healthy and I'm happy with it. I'm just looking for food sources that I can include in my diet that can benefit me more and give me better performance.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

7/28/2020 6:50 PM

Shaked wrote:

I don't think tuning your diet for bmx is reserved for extreme atheletes who train hours a day. In my case, I try to ride the best as I can, so having a better diet to be able to performing better isn't a bad idea. It's not anything crazy, it's just switching and dialing in some foods into my current diet. It's also going to effect my everyday life so that's a plus too. Some people enjoy BMX just because they're with friends and love casually riding bikes, but then there's others who really care about the sport and progressing. Sometimes you gotta struggle and work for what you love. But dieting really isn't a struggle, it's just a minimal plus honestly.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me