Diffrence between 16 spindle splines and 48 cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

3/25/2013 11:52 PM

People say 48s better then 16 or 6 or 8 why are they better? and are premium 16-S V2s better then Redline Flight 2.5s?

|

3/26/2013 12:08 AM

48 spline cranks have more grab on the arm and feel stiffer, other splined cranks have more room to wear out since the splines aren't as fine and need the pinch bolt so they don't move around and 48 splines stay tighter.. other kinds need that pinch bolt otherwise they wobble a lot.

also, 8/16 spline cranks just have that "cheap" look to them since tons of lower end stock bikes come with them. a lot of non 48 spline cranks are strong though so don't let that deter you from getting what you want.

as for which is better, it's really up to you which you like better.. they're pretty similar, except the Redline cranks have a pre-installed arm, which is one less thing to come loose.. but I also don't like that it's only 6 splines

the Premiums, people have said they had problems breaking the V1 but I'm gonna assume the V2s addressed that issue

|

3/26/2013 6:51 AM

I've always hate 8S and 16S cranks. Not sure why, I just hate the pinch bolts. 48S cranks are just way better in my opinion. I have lower end 48S cranks, and I don't ride hard but i'm surprised I have not cracked them yet. I'm saving for Animal Rims, and Akimbo cranks.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

3/26/2013 8:16 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

48 spline cranks have more grab on the arm and feel stiffer, other splined cranks have more room to wear out since the splines ...more

Somebody I know got redline flights and hates them but doesn't know why.
Weird feel I guess.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

3/26/2013 1:52 PM

Eveybody just hates how pinch bolts work and look. 8-splines pretty much come on lower end complete bikes or are sold as cheap cranks.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

3/26/2013 6:26 PM

loved my 16-s v2s

|

Follow me on Instagram, i follow back : N3gativecr33p

3/26/2013 8:40 PM

8 spline cranks have always loosened on me after a session which is why I upgraded to 48 spline profiles. The pinch bolt design is just no good for heavy riding and the way 48 spline cranks are designed makes alot more sense and they never get loose on me. I highly recommend some good 48 splines unless ur on a budget or dont ride hard

|

3/26/2013 10:29 PM

wnb85 wrote:

8 spline cranks have always loosened on me after a session which is why I upgraded to 48 spline profiles. The pinch bolt ...more

this and the fact that if you fuck a grind up, your gonna slam right onto the pinch bolts.

Haha I remember I hit my olddddd Haro 8 spline cranks before and took a chunk out of a ledge with the pinch bolt area.. later realized my crank arm felt loose and tried tightening it.. wouldn't you know, a chunk of concrete lodged itself in the bolt's broach where the allen key would go.

|