Do I really need to grease my parts?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2014 3:26 PM

So, I've been riding for about 3 years now, and I've always heard that we should grease most parts on our bikes, such as headset, hubs, cranks, etc.
I understand the reason why grease is good thing. Grease reduces the friction between moving parts, increasing the life span of such moving parts, but I barely grease anything at all, and I've never had any problems of parts failing or breaking due to the lack of grease.
I also understand that grease makes the installation of some parts easier.
I like to keep my bike clean and dialed, I frequently check if everything is working properly. I ride almost everyday, and 90% of my riding consists of park riding. Some guys I ride with have problems on their bikes on a regular basis, like creaking headsets and cranks/bb's, stripped bolts, etc, even though they use grease while I don't use grease and my bike rarely has any problem.
So, do you guys think I've been lucky all this time for not greasing anything at all or is grease just an option?

|

8/21/2014 3:38 PM

its a good idea imo
i had my bb just shit out after over 3 years, my stem bolts never get stuck, my pedals come off easier, my headset is still kicking after 3 years, and my hubs are a lot smoother.
its a good idea if you want to make sure parts last longer and reduce the "oh shit" moments when a bolt wont come out and you strip the head.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/21/2014 4:24 PM

I would call it luck, or there was grease/lube in some way in there already. usually new parts come with some on them (bearings, spindles etc.)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/21/2014 4:56 PM

Usually when I am working on/ putting on a new part, there is always something that needs grease. I have a friend who rides a rickety custom bike that he has probs 1200+ dollars into and greases nothing. He has snapped like 10-15 chains in the last 6 months and about everything on his bike makes noise of some sort...
The more work you put into something, the less work it will be later. (applies to almost everything)

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

8/21/2014 5:39 PM

I always "grease" my "parts". Gets me in real bother in the park though.

|

8/21/2014 6:13 PM

With indoor parks, dust is common, sometimes you don't get a lot though. Outdoor you get dirt and grime too.

Not a bad idea next time it rains to giver your bike a solid cleaning and once over.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/21/2014 6:17 PM

Grease was actually invented by the Illuminati and Big Bike to make your parts fall apart faster so you end up buying more parts.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/21/2014 6:26 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Grease was actually invented by the Illuminati and Big Bike to make your parts fall apart faster so you end up buying more parts.

another conspiracy

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/22/2014 1:02 AM

Yeah, back then when I first started off, I literally cleaned the grease out of everything except hubs, headset, and bottom bracket.. Everything else was bone dry till I started getting better cranks and better sprockets and chains. Up to today, I now grease my stem bolts, seatclamp bolts, fork compression bolt, spindle bolt, etc. all just a fair amount.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/22/2014 8:09 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Illuminati
Photo

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

8/22/2014 8:15 AM

Vital has degraded just a tad.... Yes, you want grease everywhere.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

8/22/2014 8:21 AM

Grease anything that threads in, and things that have metal touching metal (keeps moisture out)

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura