Do bearing shells ever stretch over time?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/16/2014 1:35 AM

Let's say you hammer out your frame bottom bracket or replace hub bearings literally every single month. I mean, wouldn't that somewhat stretch/wear out the metal material wherever you're constantly forcing contact in/out of it? I assume it'd take the same concept of ovalizing, but obviously also assuming everything has been done properly. My 2008 Fit frame is super easy to hammer out the BB, while I've replaced bearings on my Fit S4 frame at least 3 times and it's still a bitch with some grease to hammer in/out the BB.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/16/2014 1:46 AM

I'm sure they can, or your other Fit's BB shell is machined just slightly larger than usual. My old KHE frame was fairly easy to get bearings out of, not like by hand but a few taps would take them out but they were still snug.

I know for sure hub shell bearing seats do. My old Primo Mix was to the point where if I took the non-drive side cone nut off and held the hub so the bearings were pointed down, they would slowly slip out on their own. I even made soda can shims to take up the extra space & the hub still wobbled, that's how much it was stretched out even though it wasn't that old or abused at all. Guess I got unlucky, but warranty fixed me up no problem at least.

|

12/16/2014 1:47 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I'm sure they can, or your other Fit's BB shell is machined just slightly larger than usual. My old KHE frame was fairly easy ...more

I totally forgot to mention you and that hub, lol. Didn't you end up make-shifting some tape and Loc-Tite at some point?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/16/2014 1:52 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I totally forgot to mention you and that hub, lol. Didn't you end up make-shifting some tape and Loc-Tite at some point?

I used plumber's tape, but never lock-tite with that one I don't think. The tape worked for a few days then wore out, the soda can shims were the only things that worked more than a few days but sometimes worked their way out & started rubbing the cone nut. I hit warranty up & they helped me out at least.

|

12/16/2014 2:45 PM

Not really, unless for whatever reason the BB or whatever is made of really crappy material. I'm sure the metal would eventually wear out though. Not really stretch but just sort of shed material if done badly. But generally that isnt the case.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/16/2014 4:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2014 4:40 PM

My bb cups are falling out actually, they won't stay in....... (American bb)

|