Do gum tires grip more?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2015 5:27 PM

Do gum tires really grip more? I heard somewhere that they do.
I'm buying Eclat Fireball tires soon. Not sure if I want burgundy or gum, but if gum really does grip more to the ground, I think I've made up my mind.

|

"Ride it like you stole it."

Refs: SuperstarDK, Gage191

9/8/2015 6:12 PM

bump

|

9/8/2015 6:36 PM

bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

|

9/8/2015 9:10 PM

I heard the same . Not really sure but supposedly the compound affects it , making it stick better due to its natural colour of rubber ( rubber isn't black or some shit , I don't even fucking know ) so gum grips better . I think it's more of a placebo effect but my FAF gum tires gripped good.

Also I rode fireballs in black and they gripped amazing too so they don't need to be gum if you're worried . Feel amazing on grinds

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/8/2015 9:46 PM

Colered tires are usually made out of a softer compound therefor being able to grip better but will wear out quicker.

|

9/9/2015 12:26 AM

Black tyres have carbon black added. As has been said, this makes the tread wear more slowly and better resist breakdown from UV light.

But I don't know how much of a difference this would make for bmx tyre grip.

I did think it was strange that bmx tyres come with tread sections of all different colours but car tyres tread is always black.

|

9/9/2015 6:18 AM

It also depends a LOT on the compound of the rubber. Softer tends to grip more, but wear faster, harder is slicker, and lasts longer.

Just like grips.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/9/2015 7:14 AM

Like bubble gum

|

9/9/2015 9:27 AM

derrrrr tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|

IN NOMINE SATANUS

9/9/2015 11:39 AM

hmm...

|

9/9/2015 7:10 PM

I think gum definitely grips better on dry concrete or concrete like surfaces, sometimes even wood too. I think it's nice if you wanna do it, but it isn't nuts. It's nice through bowls and street.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/9/2015 8:51 PM

Softer compound = more grip.

That being said, I'm pretty sure most colored tires are a colored Gum compound. On a technical level, the coloring will effect the grippiness, but I highly doubt it will be noticeable enough to compare. I'm sure that colored and raw gum will grip the same, not to say the same for black tires.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/11/2015 7:07 AM

They dont make a difference bud

|

AH GADAMMIT - the hobo that sean burns feebled onto

9/11/2015 1:43 PM

That's what I heard, but both of the gum tires I had (T/A and Dehart Slick) and they were awful when it came to grip. My current FAF and Momentum (both black) are way better.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417