Do you need a tool to get the premium 1948 spline drive cranks on or do they just splide on?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/28/2013 12:44 PM

like a colony colonial crank tool

|

11/28/2013 7:58 PM

You need a tool for any 48 spline cranks. They should come with it though.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/28/2013 8:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2013 8:40 PM

If you haven't bought those cranks yet, don't buy them. Get the thunderbolts from odyssey.

|

12/2/2013 5:39 PM

i think im getting the mutiny cinch

|

12/2/2013 7:41 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

You need a tool for any 48 spline cranks. They should come with it though.

is this true? what happens if you dont use a tool
? my stolen teams didnt come with a tool and i just used the bolt to press them on...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

12/2/2013 7:52 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

is this true? what happens if you dont use a tool
? my stolen teams didnt come with a tool and i just used the bolt to press them on...

My old profiles were fairly used so the splines were fairly easy to slide on. Just slid them off super easily, regreased em, then pushed it on by hand and by doing that it magically destroyed the splines and that crank never came off again. Problem is when you push your crank arm on by hand, its able to get away with going on ever so crooked which messes up and deforms the splines ever so slightly. The crank tool ensures that they go on perfectly.
Tbh you could make a crank tool out of a bolt, a washer, and a short piece of piping or somethin
using your bolt works too but it can damage the threads.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

12/2/2013 7:53 PM

And technically 22/24mm have bigger splines so theyre harder to deform.

|

12/2/2013 9:14 PM

I've only ran one pair of 48-spline cranks and have ever been since. I have always used my hands, but when I first got them, I greased the crap outta them, which loosened up the splines, and I rode and rode and now the splines are stretched I guess, and only sometimes will I have to use the bolt to tap out the crank arm. I use a spline drive sprocket and the splines on that have stretched as well so everything is pretty easy to take apart but not always.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke