Do you really need a sub 20 lb bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2009 6:02 PM

Its a good question. Yeah I'll admit that having a bike that is light does make spins faster and riding easier but do you really need a sub 20 lb bike? Well the answer is no. I also ride a DJ mountain bike that weighs in at about 35 lbs. Heavy? No. its actually very light for a mountain bike. Now lets think about the average bmx bike. If you went to ever person that has a bmx bike my guess at an average weight would be about 28lbs. Is that heavy? Well no. Think about it. 28 lbs. What else weighs that much? Your dog, a branch from a tree...........well its not all that heavy. If you are a healthy individual you should be able to pick it up with no issues. Now look back about 5 years ago at the "light" frames on the market. They all were about 6.6-7 lbs. Now anything sub 10 lbs is easy to pick up right? Yes. My point is. If you are seriously worried about ounces and grams on your bike than you need to take the money you were going to spend on that Ti spindal or those hollow stem bolts and go get a gym membership. Anything under 30 lbs is not heavy. So quit your bitching and moaning about how something weighs in at 15 ounces or that frame is over 4.5 lbs. Because the truth is you need to eat some damn good food and do a lot of push ups. Weak little bastards.

|

9/5/2009 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2009 6:09 PM

im pretty sure that i would rather have my bike at 22 pounds then have my bike at 30 and have a gym membership. i would rather ride my bike and have fun. most kids who just started biking are young. i can tell you when i was 14 i didnt have near the strenth that i do now.

and im pretty sure if i was as big as you, a 28lbs bike would be JUST FINE. i weigh 120lbs and have a 22lbs bike. you prolly weigh 200some and have a 28lbs bike. plus im only 16. you have to think about things like that.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

9/5/2009 6:13 PM

its the people that have been riding for years that complain about it that really baffle my mind. I was at the shop the other day and this guy that has been riding with me and my friend for years got some of the Eclat rims. he know what the weight was when he bought them. But as soon as he picked them up he didn't want em anymore. His exact words were. "Wow there is no way I could even hop a curb with these monster things." I just don't understand it.

|

9/5/2009 6:16 PM

deucedeuce540 wrote:

its the people that have been riding for years that complain about it that really baffle my mind. I was at the shop the other day and this guy that has been riding with me and my friend for years got some of the Eclat rims. he know what the weight was when he bought them. But as soon as he picked them up he didn't want em anymore. His exact words were. "Wow there is no way I could even hop a curb with these monster things." I just don't understand it.

idk man hes just being a little bitch.

|

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

9/5/2009 6:18 PM

If your bike isn't 20lbs. or less, it sucks.
Hahaha, jk.

My bike was at like 21lbs once and it felt kinda twitchy.
I would say 22-23 is a perfect weight for modern bmx bikes.

|

9/5/2009 6:19 PM

Dude who cares about someone else's bike wheight.
RELAX.Have Fun.Shred with what you have.

I'm not in this game to argue about personal preference.

-Just ride.

|

.Trinity Bikes Freestyle team.
.Ride for fun, its what matters.
4 years in this shit SWAGGGGG$$$$$$##

"I'd punch a little kid dead in the face if he came at me with a knife, I don't care how old you are, don't fuck with me. "

9/5/2009 6:21 PM

funtington wrote:

Dude who cares about someone else's bike wheight.
RELAX.Have Fun.Shred with what you have.

I'm not in this game to argue about personal preference.

-Just ride.

I've gotta say, your right. It doesnt matter what you ride as long as you doing it for the fun of it.

|

9/5/2009 6:22 PM

Thats what I'm trying to say. If there wasn't such a emphases on weight the sport would be so much bigger and better.! In my opinion.

|

9/5/2009 6:31 PM

I have no idea what my bike weighs in at, and i don't even care. I'm jut riding for the fun of it, and in my opinion that is all the bmx should be.

|

9/5/2009 6:38 PM

i know a kid that has a 22 pound bike and i dont really like it. its just to light i can hop twice as high and i hop prettty high on my 25 pounder i like that but i always loop out on it ans the front end just flies out

|

9/5/2009 6:44 PM

damn, i remember when i first tried biking back in 2002 i bought a haro backtrail X1 its weight was about 35 pounds a lil more with pegs.(i will stay that i was 16, and 6ft tall 220 pounds) and back then it was just about having fun and hanging out with friends, the weight didnt matter you still tried to do everything and anything on your back. now i'm trying to start up again and it's all about weight and how much you spend on you bike. riding a heavier bike back then made me better and stronger when i used a lighter one. i would actually recommend that starters use a heavier bike at first to help develope the strength they need to ride, but thats just my opinion.

|

9/5/2009 7:18 PM

mtorres14 wrote:

damn, i remember when i first tried biking back in 2002 i bought a haro backtrail X1 its weight was about 35 pounds a lil more with pegs.(i will stay that i was 16, and 6ft tall 220 pounds) and back then it was just about having fun and hanging out with friends, the weight didnt matter you still tried to do everything and anything on your back. now i'm trying to start up again and it's all about weight and how much you spend on you bike. riding a heavier bike back then made me better and stronger when i used a lighter one. i would actually recommend that starters use a heavier bike at first to help develope the strength they need to ride, but thats just my opinion.

12345 agree agree

|

Ride for Fun Ride to get Away Ride to Ride Ride for Love Ride to Live Live to Ride

Toronto replay official: "What's that? Oh, a Flyer shot it? Just wait three minutes and call no goal due to inconclusive evidence."

9/5/2009 7:21 PM

abod wrote:

im pretty sure that i would rather have my bike at 22 pounds then have my bike at 30 and have a gym membership. i would rather ride my bike and have fun. most kids who just started biking are young. i can tell you when i was 14 i didnt have near the strenth that i do now.

and im pretty sure if i was as big as you, a 28lbs bike would be JUST FINE. i weigh 120lbs and have a 22lbs bike. you prolly weigh 200some and have a 28lbs bike. plus im only 16. you have to think about things like that.

wtf i wegh 160 and i hav a 28 lb bike its fucken light

|

ref(s): evenwest94

9/5/2009 7:28 PM

My last bmx was just stuff I got here and there and it was about 26 or 27. But I am building a older style bmx bike up. A Dragonfly Tech. Its a 7.2 lb frame. I am going to have some updated parts but I'm guessing it will end up being about 30 lbs on the dot. I am so stoked! I am 6'4ish.. so a 21tt is a little small but I'm going to have front brakes and a freecoaster! I can't wait!

|

9/5/2009 7:33 PM

im 6 foot 3 dickfooted 175 lbs and i have a 23 pound bike and thats the way its gonna stay i reallydont care if i am called out for watching my weight its my personal preferance and nothing anyone can say will change that

|

Ed's Bike Shop Flow Team.
Go Webbie!

9/5/2009 7:36 PM

abod wrote:

kinkyfit7777 wrote:

wtf i wegh 160 and i hav a 28 lb bike its fucken light

okay. well how well can you ride that bike? and how well can you move it around?

and how sore are you after a 2 hour session compared to me riding a 2 hour session?

|

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

9/5/2009 7:41 PM

abod wrote:

okay. well how well can you ride that bike? and how well can you move it around?

and how sore are you after a 2 hour session compared to me riding a 2 hour session?

i'm sure he can move it around pretty good if he is used to it. but the being sore part after 2 hours is more of a conditioning question then the weight of your bike. if he has been riding his bike for a while i'm sure the has developed the conditioning to ride it.

|

9/5/2009 7:44 PM

As my buddy Peter would say. "LETS GET FUCKING RIPPED!"

|

9/5/2009 7:46 PM

as i would say, ride whatever weight bike you want, just dont bitch about it.

|

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

9/5/2009 7:47 PM

deucedeuce540 wrote:

As my buddy Peter would say. "LETS GET FUCKING RIPPED!"

hahaha, dont that just pump you up. lol. my homeboy says that all the time

|

9/5/2009 7:47 PM

my bikes like 25-26 and i love it.. any lighter and i dont think it would feel right

|

9/5/2009 7:48 PM

well peter is an Asian who is obsessed with his biceps. haha that and bikes.

|

9/5/2009 7:50 PM

deucedeuce540 wrote:

well peter is an Asian who is obsessed with his biceps. haha that and bikes.

hahaha, my homeboy is a white boy how is obsessed with his biceps and baseball. lol.

|

9/5/2009 8:11 PM

abod wrote:

okay, well i'm 13 and started riding in march. i got stem height (and maybe high) hops on a 26lb bike.i am pretty big, but one of my friends has the same bike weight build as me and is your same weight and 2 years younger than you with the same hops as me. now the way i think about it, you get used to your bike and stop being weight bitches about everything and ride it. who cares about your weight and age? around here we've got 19 year olds at 160lbs doing peg height hops and 11 year olds on walmart bikes hopping high as hell. point is, you adjust to your bike and strength isn't much of a factor in bmx. technique is. and i agree with deucedeuce540 on this thread.

|

9/5/2009 11:13 PM

I still win, It's down to around 38~ now.

|

9/5/2009 11:16 PM

little pussy bitches need bikes under 20, straight up weak fucks or fucks that get there parents to bye them w/e they want and not ride

|

BIKE CHECK!
BEEN HERE SINCE 07 TRUE OG
if you’re pegs ain’t steel, you ain’t real
refs- way to many just ask around
FLICKR
CRAZY MAAZY

9/5/2009 11:19 PM

uuuuu no i have a bunch of moutain bike friends and just bout all their bikes are 25-28

the reson u have a heavy ass moutain bike is cuz u got a steel frame and heavy forks

|

9/5/2009 11:36 PM

Yea mountain bikes are funny, I've seen full suspension bikes weighing in at 25LBS and there pretty damn strong to, as long as you going in a strait line.. then I've seen the cheepo mongooses fold in half and they weigh next to 50 pounds.

|

9/6/2009 12:37 AM

Yeah I have an eastern MTB but I have a super beefy fork and wheels. Hell It feels good to me. But then again I have always liked a bike that I know is there. If its too light it gets away from me way too easy.

|

9/6/2009 12:39 AM

ya thats y u got a steel frame ......u should get a giant stp...one of the lightes strongest frames.....or get a 2009 jackal

|