Do you run the BB spacer?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/9/2013 3:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2013 3:15 PM

the one that goes between the two bearings. Im not using it and want to know if its bad. its the peg looking thing in the middle.
Photo

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

12/9/2013 3:17 PM

Yeah, you should run it. It helps spread the load over the entire BB rather than just a single bearing.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/9/2013 3:32 PM

You NEED it. it's not a "Hey, my BB came with this piece, probably just optional though so I won't use it" thing.

Pros:

-Prevents bearings from being crushed from tightening the crank bolts, as you tighten your bolts, the BB cone spacers push against the inner race of the bearing. but if you tighten it, where is all that pressure going if you don't have a spacer in between the bearings? it's just gonna keep pushing against the bearing & ruin them overtime. If you have the spacer in there, it'll push against that and come to a stop.

-Keeps your crank tight. without it, it has more room to wobble & wiggle the bolts loose. I've seen this happen and after people put the spacer inside there, it stopped coming loose as often.

-Spins much better! I've had cranks that I've tightened insanely tight, and mine still spin a shit load of times with a good kick. Then, I've seen other peoples cranks without the spacer, barely tightened, and they spin like shit.

-BB lasts longer due to not crushing your bearings

-probably more

Cons:

-like an ounce of weight lolol

-if you don't have the exact amount of space needed, it won't make proper contact and won't work right. the owner of the shop I work at is also a machinist and measured my BB/bearings & we determined the perfect size for mine so it sits perfect and spins great.

|

12/9/2013 5:17 PM

If you absolutely don't have one, just don't torque your crank bolts like hell. And since you run 8-spline or whatever, that should be too much of a problem.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/9/2013 5:58 PM

yes i run one , it was a bitch to put in but it will save your bearings and keep them spinning

|

12/9/2013 6:54 PM

I've gotten 2 of my frames used with bb and neither have had the spacer. I've never worried about it.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/9/2013 9:58 PM

Bb spacer is very important it distributes the invisible forces at work going on when your doing your stuff.... It's there for a reason it's not for you to stick your penis into if that's what you were saving it for... doesn't make a very good penis tube, trust me i've tried.

|

12/10/2013 1:51 AM

I think I've only got one bb that came with the right spacer. Normally they come with ones that are too long.

Think I'm running one now but I've ran heaps with out

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

12/10/2013 5:34 AM

Aav1996 wrote:

Bb spacer is very important it distributes the invisible forces at work going on when your doing your stuff.... It's there for ...more

I can confirm this.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/10/2013 6:09 AM

I have the same BB that I got in 2007, still spins great because I use those spacers.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura