Does anyone have any info on where all the bikes are made?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/19/2018 3:16 PM

I'm guessing most are made in Taiwan, and I'm fine with that because their quality control is awesome since the iffy 90s. But does anyone have the name of the actual factories where all the big names are produced?
Kink
Cult
Fit
WTP
Haro
Subrosa
Fly
and so on...

I'm talking about completes, I think S&M and BSD frames are made in the USA

Any info would be interesting to learn.

|

1/19/2018 3:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 3:40 PM

Bsd is made in Taiwan. They aren't an American company whatsoever. American made completes don't exist, but s&m/fit, standard, and fbm all still make frames in the us. Solid makes tubes. I have no idea where in Taiwan those bikes are made. That's all I got.

|

1/19/2018 3:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 3:45 PM

BSD are Scottish and it stands for Britain sucks dick lol or BASTARD but I like the first lol

|

1/19/2018 3:45 PM

We the people are made in Germany I believe, correct if wrong.

|

1/19/2018 4:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 7:46 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

WTP is a German company with parts manufactured in Taiwan.

A good majority of BMX companies' parts/bikes are manufactured by Giant in Taiwan. I'm not sure what other manufacturers are used in the BMX industry, but I know they're also in Taiwan or China.

BSD is a European company manufactured in Taiwan.

Nobody offers USA Made completes.

S&M & Fit Bike Co., FBM, Standard Bykes & NoWear, Lairdframe, & Profile Racing all offer USA Made frames or parts.

Fit Bike Co. used* some USA Made stuff on their high end completes, but they weren't* 100% USA Made.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/19/2018 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 4:16 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

wreengg
only designed in germany just like eclat

|

1/19/2018 4:21 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

A good majority of BMX companies' parts/bikes are manufactured by ...more

I'd love to know which Fit completes include USA made frames.

|

1/19/2018 4:23 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

BrooklynGoon wrote:

None

|

1/19/2018 4:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 4:29 PM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Look into their top dollar signature completes.

A lot of their aftermarket frames, bars, forks, etc. are USA Made (by S&M.) They use cheaper Taiwan made parts to make completes out of them.

On a second note, I just took a look at their 2018 line up, and it appears they no longer offer aftermarket completes? Only cheaper sub $600 Taiwan Made completes.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/19/2018 4:52 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

BrooklynGoon wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Look into their top dollar signature completes.

A lot of their aftermarket frames, bars, forks, etc. are USA Made (by ...more

Looks like it, I guess they figure if anyone wants to spend more than $600 will opt for a custom. Theres a WTP complete thats over $1,000.

|

1/19/2018 5:42 PM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Looks like it, I guess they figure if anyone wants to spend more than $600 will opt for a custom. Theres a WTP complete thats ...more

There's also a Sunday for around that price wink

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/19/2018 5:44 PM

That Sunday is an amazing bike for the price, full aftermarket. I think the wtp is too. Your saving at least $300 by buying the completes.

|

1/19/2018 7:10 PM

Human beings made my bike on planet Earth. That's all I need.

|

1/19/2018 7:17 PM

jbales wrote:

Men make bikes & bikes make men, and that is all that matters.smile

|

1/19/2018 7:36 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

http://www.manufacturers.com.tw/bicycles/Bmx-Bicycles.html

|

1/19/2018 8:00 PM

jbales wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Men make bikes & bikes make men, and that is all that matters.smile

5 year old Ming Ling made my frame and her little brother works in the Nike factory next door.

|

It’s all bmx

1/19/2018 8:26 PM

Don't forget terrible one. Well the barcode, sfa, and skapegoat frames are anyhow. The hickerson and ruben are Taiwan

|

@coupd_tat

1/19/2018 9:40 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Interesting, so I guess everyone's bike might be made in the same exact factory.

|

1/20/2018 12:08 AM

coupde_tat wrote:

Don't forget terrible one. Well the barcode, sfa, and skapegoat frames are anyhow. The hickerson and ruben are Taiwan

The skapegoat is Taiwan made too. And I wouldn't want one of the new barcodes. The welds are shocking. Ming ling probably welds better XD

Don't forget, most fit stuff is made in Taiwan now, only a couple of aftermarket frames are US made.

If you want a cheap aftermarket frame, look at the gypsy bikes frames. They're made in china and sold direct for $150! They may/may not be as good as Taiwanese made, buy they're cheap, and (hopefully) not terrible

|

1/20/2018 12:40 AM

coupde_tat wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

The skapegoat is Taiwan made too. And I wouldn't want one of the new barcodes. The welds are shocking. Ming ling probably ...more

Ah thank you for the correction. What have you seen on the new barcode welds thatd make you say that? Jw I'm curious

|

@coupd_tat

1/20/2018 1:02 AM

coupde_tat wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

The skapegoat is Taiwan made too. And I wouldn't want one of the new barcodes. The welds are shocking. Ming ling probably ...more

coupde_tat wrote:

Ah thank you for the correction. What have you seen on the new barcode welds thatd make you say that? Jw I'm curious

Photo
There's been a few :/
|

1/20/2018 4:33 AM

grumpySteve wrote: Photo

Damn, the S&M made Barcode I had 3 years ago was almost this bad. What the fuck is S&M doing?

Also, fwiw, Taiwan is not China. A 5 year old is not making your parts.

|

1/20/2018 5:42 AM

coupde_tat wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Damn, the S&M made Barcode I had 3 years ago was almost this bad. What the fuck is S&M doing?

Also, fwiw, Taiwan is ...more

It's weird that their own frames are always welded nicely, it's almost like they sub contracted the work out to a college or something laughing
If this was my frame, it would've been sent straight back. But this one has been drilled and tapped for gyro tabs (by a shop, not factory) so he's probably voided all warranty on it now too!

|

1/20/2018 5:49 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's weird that their own frames are always welded nicely, it's almost like they sub contracted the work out to a college or ...more

That’s exactly what I said, looks like a high school shop project. I sent mine back because not only were the welds shitty, but the headtube was ovalized so I couldn’t even ride it.

|

1/20/2018 5:51 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's weird that their own frames are always welded nicely, it's almost like they sub contracted the work out to a college or ...more

I beg to differ

I had an ATF with similar quality welds. Luckily I had paid basically nothing for it to build a bike for my ex, so I kept it. I never would have trusted it between my own legs though. Literally every weld on it was sloppy and crooked, and there was even some splatter in a couple spots.

This is why I only buy Taiwan Made stuff now. Every single Taiwan frame I've had has had nice crisp welds. & majority of S&M's I've seen either have questionable looking welds or fail at a weld within the 1 year warranty. People vouch for them all day but I just haven't seen that great of quality come from them..

|

1/20/2018 6:36 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Also, fwiw, Taiwan is ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I beg to differ

I had an ATF with similar quality welds. Luckily I had paid basically nothing for it to build a bike for my ...more

I've never personally seen a bad weld on an s&m, and only seen one cracked (although I know of more than that one). There's plenty of s&m's around here too. And I've owned 4. I guess it might depend where you are as to what stock you get? Or the people I know have just been lucky laughing

|

1/20/2018 6:39 AM

I also find it ironic that people opt for S&M stuff specifically for the workmanship, but I've yet to see an S&M product in person that was higher quality than my Taiwan Made stuff..

The only two Americans I would let build a frame for me are Mike Laird & Spooky Dave, & neither of them would be willing to build a frame to my exact preference. Pretty sure the rest of them only have high school shop experience with welding..

+1 to 5 year old Ming Ling for producing more consistent welds than grown Americans are capable of. Ming Ling can weld my parts all day long with craftsmanship like that.

|

1/20/2018 7:16 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

coupde_tat wrote:

Holy shit, and they want $400 for that? I've always wanted a barcode, I'd still get one, but not without seeing the welds close up first. that's American quality for you. God, take some pride in your work.

|

1/20/2018 8:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2018 8:46 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I beg to differ

I had an ATF with similar quality welds. Luckily I had paid basically nothing for it to build a bike for my ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I've never personally seen a bad weld on an s&m, and only seen one cracked (although I know of more than that one). ...more

Just because something is made in the USA doesn't mean it's of high quality...it could be made by a heroin addict straight out of trade school versus a Taiwanese master welder with 30 years of experience. From what I've seen most "American Made" products these days are made by illegals anyways. A buddy of mine went to a shirt factory in NY and every single one of the seamstresses were Chinese.

|

1/20/2018 8:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2018 9:01 AM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Just because something is made in the USA doesn't mean it's of high quality...it could be made by a heroin addict straight out ...more

One thing that really grinds my gears is when people claim their US made parts were made by a craftsman.. But does anybody even know the names of the welders at S&M? Let alone if they're actually passionate about what they do, or if it's just another job to them? Or if they come in to work hung over every day (my ATF looked like it was welded by that guy if so.)

Spooky Dave and Mike Laird are true American craftsmen that are dedicated to welding some of the best bike parts, and stand behind their products 100%. The same cannot be said about the handful of guys that are responsible for mass producing frames in the U.S, we actually don't know the first thing about those dudes..

+ I'll go ahead and say it.. realistically, it's probably just some shit head BMX riders working there, and from personal experience, shit head BMX riders tend to have pretty poor work ethic.. I'd personally rather have a frame built by someone whose livelihood depends on building quality bike frames, than someone who got their job because they're the "homie."

At least I know Ming Ling will lose her job at Giant if she fails to produce quality welds, while the homie at S&M is likely friends with everyone & can get away with a lot more.

& dont get me wrong, I love to support Americans. That's why I buy parts from American companies with American employees, through an American shop that stocks through American distros. Just because an American didn't weld my frame doesn't mean that Americans aren't going to benefit from my money.

|