Does anyone know why this bike is $300+?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/8/2018 11:37 PM

https://www.verdebikes.com/products/2018-verde-cadet?utm_source=vitalbmx&utm_medium=desktop_banner&utm_content=300x600

Hi-ten steel, single wall rims. But there is some good such as

fully sealed bearings, 3pc chromoly cranks, and duo tyres and grips. But should you be able to get more at this price range?

|

1/9/2018 12:29 AM

the sealed hubs & sealed mid BB. most bikes around that price range don't have fully sealed hubs, and some might even have an unsealed American BB

|

1/9/2018 12:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 12:45 AM

I see. I was wondering because my max budget is $300 and its hard for me to decide. There is the Eastern traildigger and mongoose legion l100 around the same price. I don't know which one to get.

I really want the eastern shovel head but I don't know how much more it will last compared to the other 2. People told me if I want to get a bmx bike I shouldn't spend less than $200. I tried finding used deals around my area but there isn't much luck, maybe I can find some on ebay or so.

|

1/9/2018 2:10 AM

Get what you want the most . They’re all fairly similar in quality , it’s better to buy something you’re stoked about then let strangers on the internet decide for you ! Personally Eastern and Verde look cool in my book .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/9/2018 2:46 AM

Never ever ever waste your money on Hi-Tensil junk. Don't be like this guy.

If you only have a $300 budget, get the Mongoose L100 for the best bang for your buck. Fully chromoly, fully sealed, even comes with a female front hub and 2pc cranks. Incredible quality for the price, especially compared to the Verde.

Read this before spending money on a bike.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/9/2018 4:44 AM

Of your budget is $300 max, get the Mongoose Legion L100...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/9/2018 4:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 4:59 AM

Gavin22 wrote:

I see. I was wondering because my max budget is $300 and its hard for me to decide. There is the Eastern traildigger and mongoose legion l100 around the same price. I don't know which one to get.

I really want the eastern shovel head but I don't know how much more it will last compared to the other 2. People told me if I want to get a bmx bike I shouldn't spend less than $200. I tried finding used deals around my area but there isn't much luck, maybe I can find some on ebay or so.

Because it says " Verde" on the frame.

The Eastern Shovelhead is a legit bike. I have the '17. You can still get the '17 in black. It's $399 delivered (stateside). I ordered mine & had it in under 12 hours to my door! If you can swing the extra, $99, I'd say get it. The Mongoose L100 is pretty legit for the price. BUT, I don't know how well the whole bike will hold up long-term. There are a few parts that should probably be changed out for serious riding.... Stem, maybe the wheels. I have never ridden one but there are a few reviews on them in this forum from Bulletpup. He has & did a review on the '17 & '18 L100. The '18 is apparently much improved over the '17.

P.S. I see you are in Illinois. I'm not sure how far you are from the South Milwaukee area, but there's a very high likelihood that I'll be parting ways with a bike very soon. All the bikes I have are full chromoly. I would cut you a great deal on a fully-functional ride.

|

1/9/2018 7:07 AM

Is Verde popular in the US? I don't think I've ever seen an aftermarket Verde frame.

|

Hmmm

1/9/2018 7:49 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Is Verde popular in the US? I don't think I've ever seen an aftermarket Verde frame.

I've only heard of them. & seen their adverts. Never seen one ridden but that isn't say much. Can't say how popular they are here in the states. I've "heard" their higher end completes are pretty nice.

|

1/9/2018 7:57 AM

I haven't seen any either, but the Verde regent frame seems decent at a reasonable price.

|

1/9/2018 8:21 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Never ever ever waste your money on Hi-Tensil junk. Don't be like this guy.

If you only have a $300 budget, get the Mongoose L100 for the best bang for your buck. Fully chromoly, fully sealed, even comes with a female front hub and 2pc cranks. Incredible quality for the price, especially compared to the Verde.

Read this before spending money on a bike.

Fact

|

1/9/2018 4:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 10:09 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Never ever ever waste your money on Hi-Tensil junk. Don't be like this guy.

If you only have a $300 budget, get the Mongoose L100 for the best bang for your buck. Fully chromoly, fully sealed, even comes with a female front hub and 2pc cranks. Incredible quality for the price, especially compared to the Verde.

Read this before spending money on a bike.

Lol as soon as i saw the blue on "dont be like this guy"...I knew.

|

1/9/2018 4:56 PM

To the op. Here is my video review on the 2018 legion.

2018 review



2017 review


Quality of rear wheel internals
|

1/9/2018 4:59 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Never ever ever waste your money on Hi-Tensil junk. Don't be like this guy.

If you only have a $300 budget, get the Mongoose L100 for the best bang for your buck. Fully chromoly, fully sealed, even comes with a female front hub and 2pc cranks. Incredible quality for the price, especially compared to the Verde.

Read this before spending money on a bike.

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol as soon as i saw the blue on "dont be like this guy"...I knew.

But it was just a little nose heavy, barely noticeable.

|

1/9/2018 7:31 PM

Oh and to the OP wondering why that bike is $300+, is becasue it says Verde on it... it's just like Gucci or whatever, it's only expensive becasue of the name... that's how the world goes my friend...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/9/2018 8:22 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Because it says " Verde" on the frame.

The Eastern Shovelhead is a legit bike. I have the '17. You can still get the '17 in black. It's $399 delivered (stateside). I ordered mine & had it in under 12 hours to my door! If you can swing the extra, $99, I'd say get it. The Mongoose L100 is pretty legit for the price. BUT, I don't know how well the whole bike will hold up long-term. There are a few parts that should probably be changed out for serious riding.... Stem, maybe the wheels. I have never ridden one but there are a few reviews on them in this forum from Bulletpup. He has & did a review on the '17 & '18 L100. The '18 is apparently much improved over the '17.

P.S. I see you are in Illinois. I'm not sure how far you are from the South Milwaukee area, but there's a very high likelihood that I'll be parting ways with a bike very soon. All the bikes I have are full chromoly. I would cut you a great deal on a fully-functional ride.

I'll be interested for sure, I can wait for a bike since its snowing hard over here.

|

1/9/2018 8:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2018 6:41 AM

Gavin22 wrote:

I'll be interested for sure, I can wait for a bike since its snowing hard over here.

Well,I have three bikes and a frame (on the way). One is the aforementioned shovelhead. The other two are an '09 SE Wildman x-pert, and a '15 Fit PK3. Both bikes are listed in the bike check area with photos. The SE is in better condition paint-wise but it's components aren't as good. I don't think the wheel bearings are sealed & I don't know if the rims are double walled but the rear is 48 spoke, the front 36. BB is sealed with 3-piece cranks). Has a gyro and rear brake. I have several bar options for the SE (or the fit, I guess). I have the original 7" rise bars that came with it, 8.85" rise Eastern 2-piece bars, or Eastern 10" rise bars. The stock stem is an SE top load. The Fit has no brakes, has similar cranks w/sealed bb, the grips are shot. The handlebars are 4-piece 8.85" rise but again, this bike was ridden & dropped more so the paint on the bars and forks has a lot of scratches. The frame isn't that bad but the paint is worn. Anyway, sorry for the long post. Take a look & let me know if you are interested in anything.

|

1/9/2018 9:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 9:54 PM

No mention of age or height yet we are making bike/toptube suggestions?

|

1/9/2018 10:11 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Never ever ever waste your money on Hi-Tensil junk. Don't be like this guy.

If you only have a $300 budget, get the Mongoose L100 for the best bang for your buck. Fully chromoly, fully sealed, even comes with a female front hub and 2pc cranks. Incredible quality for the price, especially compared to the Verde.

Read this before spending money on a bike.

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol as soon as i saw the blue on "dont be like this guy"...I knew.

Cellmember wrote:

But it was just a little nose heavy, barely noticeable.

Lol, that post lives on, even through other posts.

|

1/10/2018 4:42 AM

Wayne S wrote:

No mention of age or height yet we are making bike/toptube suggestions?

He's 5'6" with a bit of estimated growth.

|

1/10/2018 10:48 PM

I bought a Verde regent some kid put together for 300 knowing I was going to replace the frame but rode it for a couple months until my terrible one arrived and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it held up as well as how good the geometry was. I still have the frame in my garage and was honestly thinking of doing a budget build with it. It had a bunch of after market parts on it so I can't really tell you how a Verde complete is but the frame was decent as well as the Verde wheelset. It's cheap stuff don't get me wrong but I'd take it over a lot of other low end brands

|

@coupd_tat

1/10/2018 11:08 PM

I hear the toptube is mostly preference. I rode my friends bikes and from riding a few I'd say I prefer shorter chainstays, but I do like slacker head tubes at the same time since they feel a lot more forgiving idk. When it comes to dropouts and whole frame geo, I'm not sure yet. At a 20'' Toptube my knees do come close to hitting the handlebars which I do not like.

|