Does cold affect bmx parts?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/25/2014 7:19 AM

i keep my bike in a garage and its quite cold there..will this have some kind of effect on my bike

|

1/25/2014 7:31 AM

I doubt it, unless you live in like Antarctica and its like 60 below zero everyday it should be fine

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/25/2014 7:42 AM

It does have an affect, yes. Steel is a fairly good conductor of heat and therefore has the undesired effect of giving your hand a chilly feeling if you touch your frame when kept in a cold area.

|

1/25/2014 9:17 AM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

I doubt it, unless you live in like Antarctica and its like 60 below zero everyday it should be fine

yeah thats what i was thinking..thanks

|

1/25/2014 9:17 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

It does have an affect, yes. Steel is a fairly good conductor of heat and therefore has the undesired effect of giving your hand a chilly feeling if you touch your frame when kept in a cold area.

i could live with that :D

|

1/25/2014 10:25 AM

Your tires will deflate quicker in the cold but that's about it, I heard brake cables don't work as well if they're really cold too but I'm not positive on that

|

1/25/2014 11:02 AM

Well, metals athomes are closer in cold temperatures, but i dont really think that it makes a noticiable effect.

|

RIDE OR DIE



THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/26/2014 10:48 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Your tires will deflate quicker in the cold but that's about it, I heard brake cables don't work as well if they're really cold too but I'm not positive on that

This is true, the lubrication thickens (or in som cases can freeze up) causing stiffer or locked up braking if it is cold enough.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2014 2:07 PM

Tire pressure definitely drops, grease thickens up, and parts like grips and seat stiffen up.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update





Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

1/29/2014 1:59 PM

The cold won't do much, but you need to be careful of moisture, especially once it starts to warm up to avoid rust.

Your bike will definitely be happier if you can keep it inside somewhere dry, but if not possible the garage is much better than outside!

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

1/29/2014 2:03 PM

Put a towel around your grips to keep them getting moist/stiff

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars