Does it seem like all of a sudden there are a lot of older Folks getting back into BMX?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/25/2019 9:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/25/2019 9:23 AM

Maybe its just me because I've not been paying attention the last few Decades and I've just started reading the forums and face book groups, but I see a lot of stories pretty much like mine. ""I'm 4x years old and getting back into BMXing.""

Also, I live kinda out in the sticks (Cows for neighbors) a few miles outside of a really small rural town, there are very few that ride BMX bikes in our around town. I finally saw one kid trying to do some Endos...

I've seen a few Mountain Bikers and Roadies, thats about it...

|

10/25/2019 9:30 AM

Could be. I am age 32 and I just bought my first 20" since high school. Got me all sorts of stoked and I have been having a blast so far! (2019 Kink Legend)

Photo

|

Style matters

10/25/2019 9:48 AM

I think a lot of the guys our age are getting back into it because of there kids. The moment my son expressed interest I was all about it. There was no dad I want a new video game or electronic mind numbing gadget... nope, just a good ole' bmx.. fuck yeah!!

|

10/25/2019 10:20 AM

ESKEW77 wrote:

I think a lot of the guys our age are getting back into it because of there kids. The moment my son expressed interest I was ...more

This. Started watching Scotty videos and my son said he wanted to do a roof drop. smile He was 4, so I got him a 16 and I bought a 24. We ride almost every day.

|

10/25/2019 10:26 AM

ESKEW77 wrote:

I think a lot of the guys our age are getting back into it because of there kids. The moment my son expressed interest I was ...more

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

This. Started watching Scotty videos and my son said he wanted to do a roof drop. smile He was 4, so I got him a 16 and I bought a ...more

It's awesome. It turned into a family thing now. My son rides a fiend custom, my youngest son rides a kink 16, my oldest daughter rides a s/m randy brown, my youngest daughter rides a haro, and I have a kink. Outside of my family I've built and given away 2 bikes a colony and a fit. one went to my sons best friend and the other went to my nephew. It brings back the days when every afforded second was spent outside riding and having fun. I'm really enjoying it!

|

10/25/2019 11:40 AM

I can't wait, to actually get a BMX bike... I had several nice bikes as a teenage.
Now I just have two Mount Bikes an older Trek with Fork suspension and a Giant Anthem with full suspension, but honestly, they bore me.

I got a 24" Haro on Pre-order, it can't get here fast enough. Should be here by the end of November I think.
Also looking at a Sunday 2020 Model C.

Was looking at a 24" Hutch Trickstar, but when I started at a parts list I was at 1400 or so and not quite done yet...

Have my eyes on a few others too... We'll see how the Haro goes before I buy anything else.

|

10/25/2019 12:43 PM

I'm 35 and got back into it...ride after work but Saturday mornings are my favorite

Been going strong for a year now after roughly 15 years away from riding

|

10/25/2019 1:40 PM

smullen wrote:

Maybe its just me because I've not been paying attention the last few Decades and I've just started reading the forums and ...more

I'm one you can add to the list of old fuckers willing to see if their health insurance is worth a damn...... Like you, I live in a desolate area as well, and you don't hardly see ANYONE on a bike here. Age doesn't matter here either, kids don't do shit outside much anymore. Kinda hard to do anything bike related all while staring at an iphone.....

Sad story, I'm mowing the yard on my trusty Craftsman rider last summer, and I see a kid probably 13 or so pushing his bike down the road. I live in the country, and know pretty much everyone around here, so I stopped and yelled across the yard if he needed help. He stopped, and started to come towards the driveway. As he got closer, I could see the obvious, a flat. It was hotter than Hells door handle that day, so I said push your bike under the carport in the shade. My garage was open, and he could see my work bench with various projects strewn about. I grabbed him a Gatorade from the shop fridge, and went to take a look. He said I needed a special tool to take his front wheel off, so now I'm real curious as to what this Wal Mart bike needed in order to be repaired. Didn't see anything unusual, so I walked over to my chest, and grabbed a 15mm end wrench, and a 3/8 ratchet with a 15 socket. As I turned around, his face lit up like a Xmas tree,"Thats it!!!!" You could have sworn this kid thought I was some kind of God. I placed the end wrench on the nut and he asks me without hesitation, "what's that thing called anyway????"

This is the generation that is supposed to take care of me someday when I'm old and worn out........VERY SCARY.

|

10/25/2019 2:11 PM

Bunch of pansy ass quitters , been going riding 22 years strong no quitting ........ just kidding it’s good that old people get back on bikes

|

10/25/2019 2:28 PM

I've always been WAY into bikes, any bikes, 45 years old now and accidentally got back into BMX.. My autistic son who is 10 now, didn't fit his stingray I built him yet, so I bought him a used Verde Eon complete. I tried his bike out just for kicks and that's all it took to catch the BMX bug again..

I've been riding bikes with my kiddos for a while now but this BMX gig is back..

Most of my bikes are older than anyone on this forum, but my BMX is brand new!

I still wanna know what you damn mid schoolers did with my (and the rest of the world's) front brakes!angry

PS.. There's a part of me that loves no brakes too..

<°)))>{

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/25/2019 2:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/25/2019 5:02 PM

Just turned 29 and got back into it since I lost my car in a wreck and the cops who handled it couldn't take the time to watch the light cycle to see I wasn't at fault.......long story short I lost my car get a $400 ticket and now commute to work daily on a 20' ontop of street riding as much as possible. Dont miss my car at all

|

10/25/2019 7:36 PM

I'm 37. I took a slam last summer and I laid on the ground rethinking my life. Lol. I thought about it then jumped back on my bike and kept riding. I'm so glad I got back into bikes. It kinda sucked being old and fat. Now I feel young but still fat.

|

10/25/2019 8:33 PM

Rubio151 wrote:

I'm 37. I took a slam last summer and I laid on the ground rethinking my life. Lol. I thought about it then jumped back on my ...more

You'll be fine. Keep riding, the pounds will go away!

|

10/25/2019 9:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/25/2019 9:32 PM

Rubio151 wrote:

I'm 37. I took a slam last summer and I laid on the ground rethinking my life. Lol. I thought about it then jumped back on my ...more

I feel ya. 36, looped out on an icepick down a decent hubba. Landed flat on my back. Didn’t move an inch for a good 20 seconds. We don’t bounce anymore.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

10/25/2019 11:14 PM

38 next month, still at it, you don't quit when you get old, you get old when you quit.

|

Ride everything

10/26/2019 4:44 AM

Mid life crisis

|

10/26/2019 7:09 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Mid life crisis

Yep. I bought 5 bikes in the last 3 years. At least I didn't buy a fucking Miata. smile

|

10/26/2019 11:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2019 11:39 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Mid life crisis

Lol

I bought a bmx at 28 now Im 31

I rode a bmx as a kid but never did any tricks, not even hops. I used to watch x-games, play Bmx Video games and watch bmx edits when I was young, though so the seed was planted.

I also bought my dream car about 2 years ago 04 wrx wagon. smile

I actually got into bmx again recently by watching braille skateboarding videos. I was getting re-interested in action sports at the time and I stumbled upon a Scotty Cranmer Video in my suggested Youtube feed while I was watching braille. I was like "I have literally always been interested in BMX since I was a kid, why not buy one when I can afford it now?".

The rest is history.

|

10/26/2019 1:06 PM

I’m 38, started riding when I was 14. Quit when I was 17 because skateboarding was cheaper and I was a poor student. Started again at 19 after moving out and having a full time job. Then quit again at 21 due to injury. Bought a bike again at 23 and rode for a few years. Quit because I was poor again, and other hobbies/life took over. Played around with street mtb when I was 30. Then built a bmx again at 32. I haven’t ridden for over 2 months, and that’s the longest I’ve been off the bike in 6 years.
Recently I’ve lost all interest in the scene and the industry, but I’m hoping for a dry day off work soon as I feel like my foot can finally manage a ride.

|

10/26/2019 6:49 PM

A big thing imo is that BMX bikes are fairly expensive. Not many kids can afford a complete let alone a full aftermarket bike. But once you're older with some disposable income, spending $1000+ on your dream bike isn't quite the impossible fantasy it once was.

Also a big reason why skateboarding is more popular than BMX: a MUCH lower cost of entry

|

10/26/2019 9:17 PM

Scooters are cheap and appeal to the really young kids. It's easy. Parents probably approve of them more as they appear safer (and they're the ones controlling the cash at that age).

Skateboarding is cheaper too, but I suspect doesn't appeal as much as it's so much harder, haha!

I recon BMX is expensive in comparison. I'm older now I can afford whatever, but when I was young and on a low wage I had to scrape and really save to be able to afford sexy new cranks or wheels or whatever! Older guys (and gals) can easily return to BMX and buy the bike they want.

These days, if I feel like dropping $1k+ on a tiny bike on a whim that's all good (although I bought a cheap one off Gumtree to get back in the game).

|

10/26/2019 9:47 PM

Photo
|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/27/2019 3:53 AM

In that case, I choose neither.

|

10/27/2019 9:09 AM

Replace Harry Main with Dennis Enarson.

|

10/27/2019 9:48 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

Replace Harry Main with Dennis Enarson.

Lol, I didn't know that was Harry Main...

I don't remember where I found that picture but it's not as funny or cool to me now...

Damn...

|

10/27/2019 9:58 AM

ESKEW77 wrote:

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

This. Started watching Scotty videos and my son said he wanted to do a roof drop. smile He was 4, so I got him a 16 and I bought a ...more

ESKEW77 wrote:

It's awesome. It turned into a family thing now. My son rides a fiend custom, my youngest son rides a kink 16, my oldest ...more

Yeah man. My wife rides my 24 now. I just set it up with lower bars for her. She wants to learn manuals. So fun just to go for family cruises.

|

10/27/2019 7:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2019 7:22 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Lol, I didn't know that was Harry Main...

I don't remember where I found that picture but it's not as funny or cool to me ...more

Fixed it

Photo
|

10/28/2019 4:57 AM

Knocking on the door of 34, haven't stopped since I started-I got serious into it in 99, but was jumping bikes and doing wheelies since I was about 6 or 7. I don't ride nearly as much as I used to, but I still get out on occasion (two kids-5 and 1) and a wife and a house with lots of projects take most of my time.

I got my oldest into BMX but he has already kinda backed away from it (mostly due to a lack of time this summer-we moved-and he has a fear of crashing and is learning handbrakes still) but he got into MTB a bit, so that's awesome. My youngest is a daredevil so we have already started him on a strider-and he kinda got it right away-and I anticipate he will be RIPPING around in spring on it-we have an unfinished basement which will be the spot to session for them all winter.

Next year is going to be AWESOME. They are building a new concrete plaza about 3 miles from my work with a huge bowl that is 4-6 feet deep, tons of rails and ledges, and all kinds of rad stuff and it is FREE.

So my bike is going to live in my car in spring!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/28/2019 6:28 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I've always been WAY into bikes, any bikes, 45 years old now and accidentally got back into BMX.. My autistic son who is 10 ...more

I'm like you, I like Front and Rear Brakes (and Rotors/Detangelers as they're called now)...
More for tricks than stopping though...

|

10/28/2019 6:41 AM

ESKEW77 wrote:

BINGO!!! ^^^ I haven't been on a bike since I was in the 6th grade (born in the 80's raised in the 90's). Yet once I saw my 9 yr old daughter so hype over riding her bike. I knew I'd have to get myself a bike and it would have to be a bmx.

In addition to riding...I also love to be able to buy a used bmx and make it my own via paint, parts, etc. 
This was just a few months ago, now I own a total of 4 BMX bikes. Two which I consider my budget projects, once that's semi-complete (2014 FIT Dugan 1) and one complete (2016 FIT The Pledge).

|