Does skinniness play a role?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/16/2019 7:24 PM

So I'm 14, 125 pounds and 6 foot tall. Im skinny af and am looking to get another bike (last time I rode was when I was 9 but only did dirt jumps). I was just wondering would me being really skinny and scrawny effect my bmx riding because it seems as if bmx is half strength half technique. Is there things I can do to get stronger for bmx?

|

10/16/2019 8:05 PM

It likely plays a role, but I don’t think a huge one. I’m 19, around 5’, 7” and just over 100 LBS. I could never really ride for long periods of time nor could I handle bigger setups, which is partly why I moved to a super short frame, but technique, IMO, is more than half of BMX. You could be the strongest person, but that won’t make you tailwhip.

I don’t have an exercise schedule or anything like that, which is pretty bad, but I’m sure others have input. One thing is food though, stay healthy.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

10/16/2019 9:22 PM

Not at all. Im 5'10-5'11" ish and usually around 145-150. Being skinny doesn't mean you cant move your body the right way to jump or do tricks.

Ive seen some thin people do some awesome shit.

Just keep riding.

|

10/16/2019 9:22 PM

It shouldn’t I thought I was too fat to grind or 180 until I saw this rider named philbrahh

|

10/16/2019 9:52 PM

Eat.

|

10/17/2019 1:39 AM

It most definitely plays a big part if you’re not strong its going to make things difficult but the more you ride the stronger you’ll get especially if you eat right and stay away from meats dairy and other nasty ass animal products

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

10/17/2019 6:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 6:01 AM

Francky wrote:

Eat.

I used to eat literally all day when I was younger in attempt to "bulk up", never worked. Some peoples bodies do not hold on to calories/fat. I say, accept your body type and ride. Its hard but dont let people that talk shit bother you. You are riding for you and nobody else.

This also applies to life in general as a skinny person. I still deal with shitty little stab comments from assholes and I'm 31. Be happy that you are healthy enough to ride a bike and as Illuminati said, you will get stronger in the areas needed for riding, the more you ride.

|

10/17/2019 6:31 AM

Francky wrote:

Eat.

Bulletpup wrote:

I used to eat literally all day when I was younger in attempt to "bulk up", never worked. Some peoples bodies do not hold on to calories/fat. I say, accept your body type and ride. Its hard but dont let people that talk shit bother you. You are riding for you and nobody else.

This also applies to life in general as a skinny person. I still deal with shitty little stab comments from assholes and I'm 31. Be happy that you are healthy enough to ride a bike and as Illuminati said, you will get stronger in the areas needed for riding, the more you ride.

Yep, there’s many body type in the nature but, at his age I would also bet he grew up fast, so his body got taller but not wider.

Actually eating is a good advice, eat a lot, and good stuffs obviously, not candy’s all day.
This, combined with some sport will help build muscle, and a little more fat couldn’t hurt either, 55kg for 6foot is really really lightweight.

Bmx builds muscle for bmx, yes, and bmx is mostly technique, yes, but the body shape plays a big role too, the stronger you get the easier the bike will be to throw around, the longer you’ll be able to ride without your body being sore, and riding while being sore cause more stress to articulations which is bad in the long run. Also, a muscled up lower back can prevent back issues in the long run too.

|

10/17/2019 6:31 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

It most definitely plays a big part if you’re not strong its going to make things difficult but the more you ride the stronger you’ll get especially if you eat right and stay away from meats dairy and other nasty ass animal products

Meat is our natural diet. We’re omnivores.

|

10/17/2019 6:35 AM

Riding BMX > your diet. If the goal is to get better at riding BMX.

|

10/17/2019 6:41 AM

Half bullshit.
Vegans all lack of vitamines, and must take vitamin pills and other complenents to make up for it.
You must not abuse meat, and I’m totally against meat factories but would you rather eat a piece of meat (or cheese, or eggs..) from your local farmer with pigs and chicken running around or some soy from the other side of the world cultivated on burned forest ?
Here’s the vegan paradox.

|

10/17/2019 7:43 AM

Yea, being big doesn't always mean it's great. I'm 6,0 at 190, which means I have a lot of power in my bike, but.. I get injuries and damage all the time just because my weight affects the force on my body way more than it would for a lighter guy. KNEES!

|

The guy who never rides because he breaks something all the time.

10/17/2019 8:58 AM

Just buy a light bike if your bike is 20 lbs doing tricks doesn’t require much.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/17/2019 9:28 AM

No you'll be fine bud. It's technique before strength. I was about your size when I started and I got pretty decent at riding. But like I said, its all about confidence and technique

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/17/2019 10:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 10:08 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

It's literally impossible to not gain weight if you're eating at a caloric surplus, metabolism plays a VERY small role in gaining/losing weight. 99% of people that say they eat a lot but don't gain weight don't actually eat much.

I'm 6'1" and used to weigh 140 lbs, always thought I ate a lot and just never gained weight. Turns out I wasn't actually eating nearly as much as I thought. I started eating ~2800-3200 calories a day and going to the gym, and now I'm at a better weight. Eating more really is the solution, as long as you're doing what you need to do in the gym so you don't just get fat.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

10/17/2019 10:49 AM

Watch a Tom Dugan video and see if you think his weight/build is affecting his riding.

|

10/17/2019 10:54 AM

Francky wrote:

Eat.

Bulletpup wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

It's literally impossible to not gain weight if you're eating at a caloric surplus, metabolism plays a VERY small role in gaining/losing weight. 99% of people that say they eat a lot but don't gain weight don't actually eat much.

I'm 6'1" and used to weigh 140 lbs, always thought I ate a lot and just never gained weight. Turns out I wasn't actually eating nearly as much as I thought. I started eating ~2800-3200 calories a day and going to the gym, and now I'm at a better weight. Eating more really is the solution, as long as you're doing what you need to do in the gym so you don't just get fat.

You're partially right but some people can not gain weight like others. There are different digestive rates, different abilities to absorb nutrients and many other factors. Its not so cut and dry like you are saying.

Someone morbidly obese can not get like that without eating an immense amount of food, true but 2 normal eaters, eating the same 3 meals a day, doing the same amount of exercise, will be different weights and have a different amount of musculature.

|

10/17/2019 12:34 PM

Jawz13 wrote:

Watch a Tom Dugan video and see if you think his weight/build is affecting his riding.

Lol. Soooo true. Dude rips and is built like a toothpick.

|

10/18/2019 1:47 AM

Francky wrote:

Half bullshit.
Vegans all lack of vitamines, and must take vitamin pills and other complenents to make up for it.
You must not abuse meat, and I’m totally against meat factories but would you rather eat a piece of meat (or cheese, or eggs..) from your local farmer with pigs and chicken running around or some soy from the other side of the world cultivated on burned forest ?
Here’s the vegan paradox.

90% of all soya produced goes to food for animals and meat production.
So the meat industry burns far more forest than vegan “meat” substitutes ever will.

You’re right about vitamins, If you eat vegan you should eat vitamin B12 and D supliments to get everything the body needs.

But I don’t really see the problem in that since so many meat eaters still eats protein shakes/bars and other supliments although they eat meat wich is supposed to give you everything you need.

|

10/18/2019 3:13 AM

Diet matters, strength matters, and overall fitness definitely matters. Technique only comes with a good amount of consistent practice.

On the diet thing I sure hope vegans also look at iron levels, cause without a healthy intake of meat the alternatives can be lacking for a lot of people.

|

10/18/2019 5:16 AM

Vegans are fucking annoying , I don’t give a shit about your diet so don’t try to shove your ideas onto everyone around you , I love it when I hear a story that a restaurant accidentally feeds a vegan meat and they lose their shit

|

10/18/2019 6:02 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Vegans are fucking annoying , I don’t give a shit about your diet so don’t try to shove your ideas onto everyone around you , I love it when I hear a story that a restaurant accidentally feeds a vegan meat and they lose their shit

It’s just fucking stupid to say such a thing because the only vegans you know are vegan are the ones being dicks, most of them don’t walk around with signs on their heads saying what they eat.

I’ve been vegan for 7 years and never talk about it unless someone asks and I’m truly fine with people eating what they want and also hated how annoying the annoying vegans were (and still are).
But if you ever stop eating meat you’ll be chocked over how offended and butt hurt meat eaters can be just by the fact that you choose a falafel when they eat a kebab.

Then all of a sudden they’re diet experts, cave men’s/lions who need meat to survive and are worried about what would happen if the whole world went vegan, like that’s ever gonna happen!

|

10/18/2019 6:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2019 6:29 AM

Not even slightly vegan, but personally I try not to eat meat before I ride.

Veggies/fruits make me feel energized (thus feeling great on my bike.) They actually fuel me up, yanno, like food is supposed to.

When I eat a fair serving of meat, I just feel bloated and tired afterwards. More likely to sit on the couch and drink a beer than go ride my bike.

Eating food that replenishes your energy and makes you feel good > Eating food that requires just as much energy to digest as it would replenish

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/18/2019 8:46 AM

i am on the opposite spectrum. im 5'10 280lbs. but i can still backflip and do rad tricks. I used to be in shape but stopped riding for 6 years and gained 100ish lbs. Once i start a better diet hopefully i can lose the weight.

|

10/25/2019 10:57 AM

It is mostly technique the most I can really say is consume protien n vitamins n ride more if anything the lower weight will probably help some I'm 6'2" at about 170 ish n don't really have a problem riding although I can only wheelie and a couple other small things (180s, fakies etc.) I still don't really have much of a problem riding n I really only have leg strength

|

10/25/2019 11:00 AM

eskimojay wrote:

MH wrote:

It’s just fucking stupid to say such a thing because the only vegans you know are vegan are the ones being dicks, most of them don’t walk around with signs on their heads saying what they eat.

I’ve been vegan for 7 years and never talk about it unless someone asks and I’m truly fine with people eating what they want and also hated how annoying the annoying vegans were (and still are).
But if you ever stop eating meat you’ll be chocked over how offended and butt hurt meat eaters can be just by the fact that you choose a falafel when they eat a kebab.

Then all of a sudden they’re diet experts, cave men’s/lions who need meat to survive and are worried about what would happen if the whole world went vegan, like that’s ever gonna happen!

Biggest fax

|

10/25/2019 12:20 PM

Unless you grow your own food, you’re not a vegan. Fertiliser and pest control.
(As well as the fore mentioned destruction of local habitats to grow vegan friendly food). Your soy is stained with the blood of all the animals that died in order to let it grow.

|

10/25/2019 12:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/25/2019 12:23 PM

I'm 42, 6 foot 195lbs... smoke butts drink a lot of beer and eat what ever the hell I see and want. Just ride your bike

|

10/25/2019 11:37 PM

ESKEW77 wrote:

I'm 42, 6 foot 195lbs... smoke butts drink a lot of beer and eat what ever the hell I see and want. Just ride your bike

Totally this. Unless you're a pro athlete then life is too short! You are not training to compete at the Tour de France here, you're kicking around on a BMX because you enjoy it. Ride bikes, have fun, eat delicious food. *

* Although do try and be a little healthy. Your body will thank you.

|

10/26/2019 1:25 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Unless you grow your own food, you’re not a vegan. Fertiliser and pest control.
(As well as the fore mentioned destruction of local habitats to grow vegan friendly food). Your soy is stained with the blood of all the animals that died in order to let it grow.

Way to go to be the butt hurt stereotype meat eater.
1st: You don’t decide what’s vegan.

2nd: Again, 90% of all soy produced goes to food for agriculture so if you’re worried about soy production you’re barking at the wrong tree.

Eat what ever the fuck you want but don’t stop being a dick and spreading lies about other diets.

|