Does strength training help with BMX?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2018 8:06 PM

Things such as training for power 1 rep max fast as you can, or 1-5 reps max. I tend to withstand more impact if I take a dive, but would doing weighted squats technically improve the bunny hop? Or make it so you can pedal crazy fast 0-100 in a couple turns?

It doesn't make much sense since when I did taekwondo the instructor told me to stop weight lifting because it was going to make me slower. But again when you look at professional athletes they aren't in the gym 24/7 doing weight training but instead playing their sports.

So would weight lifting carry over or not really?

|

7/17/2018 8:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2018 8:11 PM

I think as you mentioned it would hinder you. Your muscles naturally build for what you choose to do. Maybe if you wore some weights while you ride, get used to it then take them off for a competition or a hard trick, etc. it would help.

|

7/17/2018 8:15 PM

I don't really think it'll help much, a lot of stuff is more technique than anything. I'm a smaller guy and I can maneuver my bike pretty well, same with another friend of mine who does flairs and shit, and neither of us lift.

however, keeping your body in shape will help. such as strengthening things like your core/back muscles to prevent injury to your back... I'm sure the same goes for other parts of your body to keep them in shape and strong but offhand I couldn't tell ya.

|

7/17/2018 8:27 PM

I noticed too that it is a lot of technique. I reached a point where I can't bunny hop any higher. Its good enough to get on a rail, but for something insane like bunny hopping onto the back of a truck or maybe more mild like ontop of a picknick table is a struggle.

I practiced it for months now, I improved rapidly at first but then the progress wasn't much anymore. Its like diminishing returns I would say.

|

7/17/2018 9:30 PM

Nah. Won't do much. Just build muscles riding so you use the muscles you need and not the ones you don't... I'm skinny as hell but I mean I can still hop almost bar height. I've been riding for a year or so, so my muscles that I need are pretty built up...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/18/2018 12:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2018 12:29 AM

I used to weight train 3x a week and now I don't. BMX feels a lot easier if you're physically stronger. Higher hops, bigger hucks, less painful bails. Not saying going to the gym all the time will immediately make you a better rider, it won't, but it certainly helps you do whatever you want to try. All the endorphins and also flexibility will help prevent injury and get you pumped to ride when you usually might not be feeling it.

|

7/18/2018 2:05 AM

Getting swole will help you throw your bike around, but your extra body weight will kind of counter that. I'd say building core strength, getting well toned, working on endurance and cardio etc will probably help more. Going for a run every morning and swimming a few times a week will be more beneficial than doing weights I would've thought. Also, you'd be building muscle you don't necessarily use when riding.
I used to know a guy who rode for s&m, and ended up racing for haro. He'd turn up to a race on his beaten up old s&m challenger (after selling his haro for beer money), wearing jeans and a t shirt, hung over from the night before, and still win races after not racing for months. And that was against guys in full factory kit, the latest race parts, drinking protein shakes and practicing gates, and spending half their time in the gym.

|

7/18/2018 5:34 AM

If you struggle to lift your bike, a little wouldn't hurt.

Learning the techniques would help the most.

Also doing a little bit of some type of tumbling or even gymnastics might help-you can learn to fall better.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/18/2018 6:39 AM

Brendan44 wrote:

Things such as training for power 1 rep max fast as you can, or 1-5 reps max. I tend to withstand more impact if I take a ...more

Weight lifting for mass will hinder your biking ability for sure. Muscle weighs more than fat and takes more energy to repair/maintain.

Working out like Steve said, cardio, HIIT, strength training but focusing more on tone and endurance, and balance training will work wonders for your biking.

If anyone's interested, in the name of weight loss, injury recovery, maintenance, and increased stamina/flexibility, I've been following and doing workouts from this site:

www.fitnessblender.com

There's one 55 minute long workout that's low impact and all about balance, core strength and total body stability...after doing it frequently over a couple of months, I feel miles more comfortable and stable on my bike.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/18/2018 6:51 AM

Work on your technique, and do Yoga or some type of balance training- it'll help.

|

7/18/2018 11:03 AM

Steroids for power , hookers for endurance , that’s the training your looking for

|

7/18/2018 11:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2018 10:02 PM

As a personal trainer and rider, YES it helps alot!!!! I keep meaning to write up a basic program for getting stronger and riding injury prevention via working out. Unless you are on steroids you can only gain 1-5lbs max a month anyway. And if you can’t handle say 15lbs of extra muscle riding your problem is not the weight you carry. Case and point Steve Crandale (sp) is not a small guy but not much muscle. And he can out ride many people even today...he is what late 30’s early 40’s?

Extra muscle helps with bike control and can also reduce the risk of injury due to added strength to muscle out of a bad position that a weaker rider can’t. You feel better and some aspects transfer to your riding. Hop technique good? Add some strength and it gets even better and easier. Low back pain? Certain exercises can make it less or eliminate it. Stronger abs? Better control because of a stronger core.

Let’s not forget about mobility and pliability gains in the muscle and tendons...ligaments too. That can be a difference between a destroyed knee, shoulder, ankle and a slight sprain.

|