Don't know anything about stems

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2017 1:47 AM

Don't know anything about what reach, rise does and how to choose the right topload stem.
I'd like to understand how does reach and rise affect stuff.

|

6/3/2017 1:52 AM

Reach will make you "reach" for the bars more. Meaning your bars will be farther away, making your bike feel longer. Rise will give your bars a lift. Lot of people like higher bars cause they feel like it helps give a better pop and bunny hop higher.

|

Rider & A Writer

6/3/2017 1:55 AM

vck wrote:

Reach will make you "reach" for the bars more. Meaning your bars will be farther away, making your bike feel longer. Rise will give your bars a lift. Lot of people like higher bars cause they feel like it helps give a better pop and bunny hop higher.

Thank you so much, everything makes sense to me know.

|

6/3/2017 1:56 AM

You're welcome.

|

Rider & A Writer

6/3/2017 2:49 AM

50mm is the average reach for a stem. Rise is personal preference. Higher bars make it a bit easier to lift the front, but you sacrifice stability and hop height with it. Average rise is anywhere between 23 - 30mm, or about 7mm for front load

|

6/3/2017 5:12 AM

Shorter will be more responsive, and longer is more mellow. 48 feels great to me. I really hate anything over 50. It makes my bike feel like I'm getting a flat tire or something. It's all personal preference though, and I'm sure you'll adjust to whatever you have. Stick with 50 untill you really know what your looking for.

|

6/3/2017 8:33 AM

Being on the tall side, I prefer the 53mm length and 35mm rise of the Sunday freeze stem. It took a little to get used to but helps my bike feel smooth and flowy on park/jumps. Short stem feels like turning is faster

|

6/3/2017 10:50 AM

vck wrote:

Actually, shorter bars makes bunny hops easier in my opinion. I rode my friends bike with 10" bars and a topload and I could barely hop a foot. It was easy to hop, but I couldn't get high. I can hop 2.5 feet with 8.25" bars and a topload stem.

To OP:
Reach = How far the stem stretches out. Longer, and generally more stable bike. A tiny bit harder to maneuver, but more stable. And more leverage for bunny hops.

Rise = How tall the stem is. Taller = easier hops, but you can't hop as high.
Shorter = higher hops, but a bit harder to hop.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom