Don't know if I should pass up this deal

Related:
Create New Tag

9/18/2017 12:57 PM

Found a local selling an Odyssey Clutch freecoaster wheel. Claims to have used it once and didn't like it. So I'm tempted on picking it up for $100. Only issue is that it's an rhd hub and I grind right sided. The hub seems to be the V1 which has a 3/8 axle on the drive side and a 14mm on the non drive side. I want to get it to play around with it, but I don't know how that little axle is going to handle grinds! Anyone use this thing like that?

|

9/18/2017 1:00 PM

Do it, run it with decent guards.

OR go pegless for a bit, tinker with it, and resell it to get LHD later on.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/18/2017 1:20 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I was thinking the same about re selling it but to think of not running pegs makes me cringe! I grind a lot lol

|

9/18/2017 2:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2017 2:45 PM

I'd pass up tbh...thats 100 dollars that could go to a hub actually suited to your riding style. I hated forcing myself to ride pegless when I was on an in-between hub.

Edit: This was my 666th post which is fucking brutal

|

9/18/2017 3:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2017 3:18 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I'd pass up tbh...thats 100 dollars that could go to a hub actually suited to your riding style. I hated forcing myself to ride pegless when I was on an in-between hub.

Edit: This was my 666th post which is fucking brutal

Well I ride street mainly and have always been on a cassette. Lately I've been tossing around the idea of trying a freecoaster for once. Saw this and figured it's a decent wheel at a decent price. I'm not hurting for money or anything it's just $100, if I don't like it then away it goes. Right now I have a good wheel set already. I run a Cinema AR777 rim to a Cinema VX2 hub

|

9/18/2017 3:18 PM

Buy the wheel, keep the rim, and spokes, and try to sell the hub for $100. Then you got a free rim. You can lace it to whatever you want. That's what I would do especially if it's really in like new condition.

|

9/18/2017 4:23 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Buy the wheel, keep the rim, and spokes, and try to sell the hub for $100. Then you got a free rim. You can lace it to whatever you want. That's what I would do especially if it's really in like new condition.

That's a possibility as well. I mean shit, it is a hazard rim

|

9/18/2017 10:57 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

seanthemechanic wrote:

I was thinking the same about re selling it but to think of not running pegs makes me cringe! I grind a lot lol

All the more reason to go pegless. Open your mind. Join us.

|

9/19/2017 3:55 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

seanthemechanic wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

All the more reason to go pegless. Open your mind. Join us.

Let's take baby steps! I have been experimenting with plastic pegs finally, running 4 pegs, and now going to try a freecoaster for the first time. Overwhelming hahaha

|

9/19/2017 3:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 3:46 PM

Ok so, a little update. I have been riding over 20 years so far. I've always been on a freewheel back then and cassette until now. I ended up purchasing this odyssey hazard lite/clutch freecoaster wheel for $80 just to see what a freecoaster would feel like. I have to say I am hooked haha! It's a blast! Weird not hearing cassette noise but the quiet is damn nice! Did the typical freecoaster newb thing and slammed my knees into the stem because of the slack. But all in all I've picked it up and definitely hanging onto it for at least the time being.

|

9/19/2017 3:48 PM

Photo

|

9/19/2017 5:58 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Ok so, a little update. I have been riding over 20 years so far. I've always been on a freewheel back then and cassette until now. I ended up purchasing this odyssey hazard lite/clutch freecoaster wheel for $80 just to see what a freecoaster would feel like. I have to say I am hooked haha! It's a blast! Weird not hearing cassette noise but the quiet is damn nice! Did the typical freecoaster newb thing and slammed my knees into the stem because of the slack. But all in all I've picked it up and definitely hanging onto it for at least the time being.

That's awesome bro! I've always wanted to try a coaster but not manty people here ride coasters.... but for $80 I would've probably picked that up too! Especially a Clutch laced to a Hazard Lite!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...