Don't know what the fuck is wrong

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2017 4:01 PM

Ok so before I screw my bolt in there is play and the bolt won't even touch the starnut. My stem won't slide down enough if I take the spacer out. I don't know if my headset is fucked, if my headtube is ovalized, my starnut is really new its not that. I think it may be the bearing because when the race is inside the top bearing there is play. Tell me if you need any more info at all because it this point I haven't ridden in like a week and I just want to ride but I don't want to ovalize my headtube.Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/15/2017 4:51 PM

That play in the top bearing is actually pretty common but once it's tightened down it should be gone.

It sounds like you've stretched the top half of your stem from not having enough of the steer tube going through it. Take that spacer off for a start. Then put a bolt into the wrong side of the stem(going through the threaded side first and taking care to avoid cross-threading), put a coin into the split between the 2 sides and tighten it down a little. It doesn't take much to overdo it so be careful while doing this. Then try to put the stem on. More info: http://www.gsportbmx.com/2003/11/avoid-bicycle-maintenance-bloodlust/

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/15/2017 5:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2017 5:12 PM

Um is the top of your steerer tube cracked? Why does it look like a chunk is missing from the bottom right of it?

|

9/15/2017 5:34 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Um is the top of your steerer tube cracked? Why does it look like a chunk is missing from the bottom right of it?

It happened when taking out a stripped starnut

|

9/15/2017 5:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2017 6:05 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

That play in the top bearing is actually pretty common but once it's tightened down it should be gone.

It sounds like you've ...more

So should I run no spacers and for the pinch bolt thing do I put the coin on the part that was squeezed together or the part that is spread apart. I'm also not able to fit the bolt in the opposite way

|

9/15/2017 6:28 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Lol, i saw that too.

|

9/15/2017 7:27 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

So should I run no spacers and for the pinch bolt thing do I put the coin on the part that was squeezed together or the part ...more

I don't think it's needed, the picture looking into the steer tube shows you have a dangerously low amount of steer tube going into the stem. Put the top bolt in backwards, put the coin in the top of the slot in the middle of the stem, tighten the bolt until it's holding the coin in place and try to put the stem on. If it's still not going on, try to tighten against the coin a little more but be careful, you really don't want to overdo it. The idea is to push the 2 sides of the clamp apart enough that the stem will fit onto the steer tube. As far as I can tell, you've been clamping on nothing with over half of the stem which has stretched it badly inwards. The trick I explained above will allow you to spread the clamp enough that the stem will be able to go the whole way on.

P.S. You should never run a stem that's clamping on the steer tube with less than 3/4s of it's clamping area, it'll damage your parts and it's dangerous.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/15/2017 7:29 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

It sounds like you've ...more

Joe Breslin wrote:

So should I run no spacers and for the pinch bolt thing do I put the coin on the part that was squeezed together or the part ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I don't think it's needed, the picture looking into the steer tube shows you have a dangerously low amount of steer tube going ...more

Ok but when I try and put my bolt in the opposite way it doesn't have enough room to go into it

|

9/15/2017 8:20 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

Ok but when I try and put my bolt in the opposite way it doesn't have enough room to go into it

Picture?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

9/15/2017 10:55 PM

That spacer is far too big.

|

9/15/2017 11:07 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

That spacer is far too big.

Ya, when I got a new frame I forgot about the longer headtube so now it's just too big

|

9/15/2017 11:07 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I don't think it's needed, the picture looking into the steer tube shows you have a dangerously low amount of steer tube going ...more

Joe Breslin wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Picture?

I'll get you one tomorrow

|

9/16/2017 12:52 AM

It looks like you could just lose the spacer and it'll be fine. You might need to add a low spacer, but they're cheap and easy to come across

|

9/16/2017 1:22 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Joe Breslin wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Picture?

It's hard to screw in and feels like it's stripping as I screw itPhoto

|

9/16/2017 1:23 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Picture?

Joe Breslin wrote:

It's hard to screw in and feels like it's stripping as I screw itPhoto

You've fucked it, from trying to tighten it when it's not clamping on properly.

|

9/16/2017 1:57 PM

...the bolt is going the wrong way. You insert the threaded side into the larger holes on the stem. You have it going into the smaller one.

|

9/16/2017 3:36 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

...the bolt is going the wrong way. You insert the threaded side into the larger holes on the stem. You have it going into the ...more

He's trying to spread the stem so it'll slide on the steer tube.... if you can't get the bolt started you can always wedge the stem apart (tapered flat head or something similar)

|

9/16/2017 3:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2017 3:40 PM

This guys bike is fucked. His forks are busted and so is his stem, the solution is simple. New forks, headset, stem. Problem solved. Stop forcing your broken bike... Trying to spread a stem that thick is insane.

|

9/16/2017 3:46 PM

Try flipling your stem around and pound it on the steerer tube with a rubber mallet or deadblow. Without hardware of course.

|

9/16/2017 3:48 PM

Parts are pretty thrashed but stems actually spread fairly EZ.

|

9/16/2017 4:07 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

This guys bike is fucked. His forks are busted and so is his stem, the solution is simple. New forks, headset, stem. Problem ...more

What is that fucked with my fork. I'm also going to get a new stem soon then a fork then headset

|