Don't stop....

Related:
Create New Tag

4/25/2016 6:09 AM

Ugh.. So here is my advice to the youngn's on the sit:

Don't stop riding.

Went out for the first time this weekend in 20 years to see where things are at....and they aren't. IT was awesome to be back on the bike, but man, my body does not react like it used to. Which sucks, b/c I know I could do things without thinking about it back then...so my brain is sending the signals down to my muscles, but it is crazy how much is lost without reps.

On the flip side...it is making me want to ride again...hardcore. I did start regaining some of the balance and weight distribution instinct...and that is addicting. Plus, there were some other "back-to-it" bikers and skaters at the park, so it was sort of like the old days....lots of falling and laughing and observation.

So, don't let the excuse of "life" take you away from what you do. Make time to keep fundamental skills going. It can be a little window of sanity - time YOU controll - during times when other crap is controlling your life

Just sayin'

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/25/2016 1:44 PM

The only difference I've noticed, is I need more pads.

|

4/25/2016 4:25 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

The only difference I've noticed, is I need more pads.

This and since I ride a LOT less, I am bigger and get up slower.

These kids who don't ever wear pads are gonna have a bad time when they are 30 and up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/25/2016 5:08 PM

Definitely won't be stopping soon! :D Helmet and protection is a must! I immediately lose respect for any rider without a helmet. No helmet, NO RIDE.

But keep it up, you don't have to do the craziest tricks, just have fun, right?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/25/2016 6:27 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Definitely won't be stopping soon! :D Helmet and protection is a must! I immediately lose respect for any rider without a ...more

You wouldn't have respect for me then haha. I've knocked my teeth out and shit like that and still won't wear a helmet. But I think it's awesome when people do. It's smart.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/25/2016 6:32 PM

yeah. I always wear a helmet, but that is more b/c I am used to it from hockey. Plus it is another place for stickers. And ya gotta have stickers right?

Made some strides today...almost rode a wheelie, and was able to bunny hop about a foot off the ground. (Small potatoes for most of the dudes on here, but it's a start) I am finding that I need new pedals though. My shoes keep slipping off when I land. The spikes on my pedals were never really very pointy or edgy...also my stem is letting the handle bars slip when I land hard...gotta look at that too. Darn, I HAVE to go to the bike shop

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/25/2016 9:12 PM

Been riding for almost 5 full years now and still can't 3 clean. I have dialed tricks, but I really want to get more technical. I've gotten more serious in the last 2 years or so, but it's definitely not still enough at all. I now wear shin guards and knee pads at the park or when I'm riding seriously outside, and I always wear a helmet like 98% of the time. I almost fractured my elbow, so I'm deciding on how often to throw on elbow pads. Gloves are also in my consideration. Too much gear makes me feel too bulky. And riding with shorts makes me more paranoid than anything else.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/26/2016 5:13 AM

Yeah. I never wore pads other than the helmet for the same reason...too bulky feeling. If I get better and start trying to do more stuff, I would consider elbow pads. I mountain bike, so I am used to my legs being torn up from briars, logs, rocks, my pedals etc....funny cause I always ride with shorts. Even in the winter. I can't stand long pants on bikes. I feel it is too constricting

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/26/2016 6:14 AM

Started riding 21 years ago, never even owned pads or helmet....

I've had quite a few breaks from riding in that time. Usually from life, money problems, or other hobbies getting in the way. Sometimes I regret the times I've given up. But at the same time it's nice to have a break from things from time to time. When you come back you see everything with fresh eyes, and have lower expectations of yourself. Plus you have a great desire to do what you used to. Whereas if you don't step back for a little while, it can get a bit stagnant and boring.

As long as it makes you smile, keep riding. If it doesn't make you smile, what's the point?

|

4/26/2016 9:47 PM

What bike did you end up getting?

|

4/27/2016 4:12 PM

I'm going through the same thing right now

|

fawk, i'm old

4/27/2016 6:13 PM

pnj wrote:

What bike did you end up getting?

If you are asking me, I have decided to do a custom build that will start this summer with either a Lairdframe or a Kink Mudrunner as the heart.

My current old Mongoose will just become a cruiser. I am using it to get my riding/jumping legs back right now, but want to do a new build to catch up to the technology.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/27/2016 6:20 PM

bikerider86 wrote:

Yeah. it is fun and frustrating t the same time. The best part is that I am excited again about riding...not that Ilost the love, but I didn't think to make it part of my routine for whatever reason. Now, it is back as part of my life. Getting diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes was also a big catalyst. I have to make sure to be active, and what better way? Hockey and biking....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/28/2016 5:38 PM

bikerider86 wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

Yeah. it is fun and frustrating t the same time. The best part is that I am excited again about riding...not that Ilost the ...more

Same here. Never lost the love for it just lost the time. Between being a volunteer firefighter and work I don't have much time but the weather is starting to get nice again and the itch to ride is worse than ever. I still have my built specialized. Just need a brake setup, pedals and grips pretty much

|

fawk, i'm old

4/29/2016 2:42 AM

There have been a few times I almost put the bike down for good. I'm so glad I didn't, though. I crashed hard a few years ago, hit my head and ended up giving my bike away because I was barely able to walk properly, let alone ride a bike. Started drinking like it was my job, haha. But, with a little rehab and a lifestyle change, I was able to get back on. I'm a little more cautious nowadays, I never ride without a helmet. Every once in a while I'll send it, but I've got a family to support, now. I don't mind going to work hurt, as long as I still make it to work.

|

Check my bikecheck
Eat shit or die tryin', yo!

4/29/2016 10:27 AM

WaldoBMX wrote:

There have been a few times I almost put the bike down for good. I'm so glad I didn't, though. I crashed hard a few years ago, ...more

Awesome to hear you got out of the negativity of addiction! And to the positive addiction of throwing your self and a bike around in the air! wink

I have never been hurt real bad biking - I have in hockey - but I am also much more cautious now that I am the one actually paying for my health care. I have always worn a helmet. I fully believe that you can have fun riding without doing the real extreme stuff. Growing up on dirt and trails, I was always into landing clean jumps, speed and distance anyways. That's what you won trophies for. In my world, if you did some kind of trickery while in the air, it was considered bad form.

I am only now starting to learn how to do 180 and 360 bunny hops, tail whips, front wheelie stuff, or all of the street and park stuff. I don't ever plan on flipping over, unless the landing area is water, or riding up the sides of buildings. I might try to grind some lower surfaces as I get more confident... I will leave that to my step-son and his friends (plus his idiot dad has to pay the med bills...since he doesn't pay for anything else).

Same thing about going to work hurt. B/c of hockey, something is always tweaked, but as long as it doesn't get in the way I am good to keep going

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/30/2016 6:13 PM

I feel old and sketchy already, I rode in my teens, and all but stopped when I started playing sports year round Jr/sr year, and haven't rode much since then. A few trips to the park in the last year, and just the occasional street here and there. But now there's a guy at work who rides, so I got Someone to go ride with, so I'm going to do a lot more riding.

|

4/30/2016 6:58 PM

well. just get out there and start doing it again. Build slowly and steadily.Some days I feel like I am getting more security in my abilities back, and others I am just riding. I am always happy to be on the bike, even if it is just shooting the shyte with the other people at the park. Lots of guys my age getting back into it b/c of their kids.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/30/2016 7:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2016 7:04 PM

I'm closer to hitting tailwhips than I've ever been, but hitting 180s and 360s isn't quite back yet

|

4/30/2016 7:10 PM

thats good. I am trying to gain back my "landing legs". Tail whips would be next on the agenda and building the confidence to add more height to my regular jumps. Then 180's.

By the end of summer, if I can do 180's, have a good 1-2 foot bunny hop, and good clean landings on jumps I will be happy. I also want this to come through more in my mountain biking

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus