Doughp. Small BMX business idea?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2018 1:41 PM

Hey guys,
I've wanted to start my own action sports business for a while, and haven't been quite sure where to start. So far, I've come up with my company name, Doughp/DoughpLife (pronounced dope). My last name is Baker, so the dough is a play off that. So far, I've purchased a machine to print and cut vinyl stickers, and someday soon, print designs for my own custom shirts. I ride BMX, wakeboard/wakesurf, ride motorcycles, so this company would be open to all forms of sports. I've worked on several designs so far, and I'll post some of the ones that I've already printed and applied down below. I guess my questions would be, is this something that any of you guys would be interested in purchasing? I've also thought about doing some instagram sticker contests. Riders send your best clips, and have weekly/monthly winners? Give me some feedback guys, let me know what you think!Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

"I've had the 2 greatest corn dogs of my life, and I owe it all to BMX."

2/18/2018 1:57 PM

Ya man dream big , the community is open for everything as long as it’s genuine and a good company . Most people here are super supportive and there’s even theGray someone started up and people have bought some of his stuff .

Trying to go for a Quicksilver / Fox type deal ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/18/2018 2:52 PM

Hey, thanks man. I'll have to check out theGray. Yes, I'd say similar to Fox for sure. I grew up racing motocross, and always kind of looked up to the Fox brand and what they were and continue to do in all the sports they're involved in.

|

2/18/2018 3:02 PM

You all spell grey wrong.

|

Hmmm

2/18/2018 3:13 PM

Is this going to be a real company with a tax id or just you printing stickers? Ig thing will get old really quick, kids will just try to win stickers instead of buying them. Good luck.

|

It’s all bmx

2/18/2018 3:28 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Is this going to be a real company with a tax id or just you printing stickers? Ig thing will get old really quick, kids will ...more

It really depends on how well the company succeeds. It's a project that so far has really no form. Right now, I just hope to make enough to fund the project, and try to build future projects. I understand that "businesses" like this are a dime a dozen, and the failure rate is pretty high. I'd love for it to be a profitable business where I have to pay taxes and report my earnings, but so far, I've only given stickers away. laughing

|

2/18/2018 3:47 PM

For me it's mostly about the hardgoods. But I'm 30 years old maybe not your target demographic?

|

2/18/2018 6:19 PM

Beamex wrote:

For me it's mostly about the hardgoods. But I'm 30 years old maybe not your target demographic?

I like the sound of hardgoods. Unfortunately, apartment life doesn't offer the kind of space I need for those kind of building materials. Maybe once I have a garage I can branch into those types of things.

|

2/18/2018 6:34 PM

I did that with screen printing t shirts when I was bodybuilding. It was fun but there's so many companies that will print or make whatever you want for cheap it's hard. You gonna come up with a catchy doughp ass phrase that will hit. Just like onsomeshit. Those guys sell out stickers and shirts so fast.

|

2/18/2018 7:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2018 7:49 PM

Honestly man, I'm not interested unless you have contributed something more to the sport than making stickers and t shirts. No offense. And I keep seeing doug-hp when I look at it. Now if your name was Doug... I still wish you good luck with your business, it's just not for me.

|

2/18/2018 7:48 PM

408gt91 wrote:

I did that with screen printing t shirts when I was bodybuilding. It was fun but there's so many companies that will print or ...more

That's a very fair point. That's kind of why I answered above about the tax id question the way I did. I don't want to plan on this working. I hope that it does, but I'm also choosing to hold onto the reality that these things fail more often than not.

I agree with your point on OSS. I really like the doughp name, but I don't know how well it hits outside of my little head. How does it sound to the BMX community, because at this point, all I'm really selling is a name.

|

2/18/2018 7:53 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Honestly man, I'm not interested unless you have contributed something more to the sport than making stickers and t shirts. No ...more

Hey man, that's fair. I understand contributing to the sport, This idea is very new even to me, so I've got to find ways to give back. That can be real hard to do without funding though. We'll see what the future holds. This is a small way for me to test the waters and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.

On the flip side, my wife is pregnant with our first boy, and we joked about naming him Dough.

|

2/19/2018 12:02 AM

It's really not as easy as making stuff and selling it. I don't overly promote theGrey (because that seems arrogant to me) and I've only just hit 300 followers on instagram. I've got sprockets, a few t shirt designs, and hoodies. I'm nowhere near breaking even after a year (the first batch of t's were printed a year ago today).

The problem is, the market is saturated, so it's a long hard road to prove you're not just another one of these brands popping up.

I'm not trying to put you off, just don't expect to print some t shirts and make loads of money.

|

2/19/2018 3:05 AM

Also, I read that as dough p (dopey)

|

2/19/2018 7:15 AM

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/19/2018 10:03 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Also, I read that as dough p (dopey)

this....

|

2/19/2018 10:58 AM

Yeah I don't like the name at all

|

Hmmm

2/19/2018 11:28 AM

Wasn't there already a clothing\sticker brand or whatever called Dope?

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

2/19/2018 11:35 AM

I don't feel like BMX needs any more clothing companies (or any type of companies, for that matter) without a solid purpose beyond "selling stuff to fund making more stuff to sell."

Stack some cash before you dive in so you can legitimately sponsor some riders (not just give out a few free shirts) and / or put on a few events and / or advertise with some legitimate BMX outlets to stake your claim that you're not just another guy printing shirts that is going to fade away in the next 6 - 12 months.

If you want to matter, do stuff that matters.

If this very website was founded under the ideal that we'd start making videos / creating features / building a forum / etc once advertisers spent some money with us, we wouldn't be here today.

|

2/19/2018 11:53 AM

Sorry... Just having a laugh. No hard feelings.

Photo

|

2/19/2018 12:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2018 12:14 PM

https://www.dope.com
Yep there definitely is a company called Dope.
I know yours is spelled "doughp" but you pronounce it "Dope" and I feel like that could cause some conflict.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

2/19/2018 7:41 PM

Grumpy Steve, I like your stuff! I'm curious, did you make your sprockets yourself, or have them outsourced? Either way, it all looks nice and clean. Your site is cool too, something that I haven't spent a whole lot of time researching as of yet. Like I said, this project is still at a VERY early stage.

That Sebastian Keep article is good insight, my only problem is I'm not good at riding bikes. laughing

I don't want to give the impression that I'm doing this solely for money. And maybe I've wrapped myself a little too much in the financial aspect of it. I suppose it's a little ridiculous to throw around the talk of dollars, when all I have at the moment is a name no-one has ever heard of, and apparently needs a little re-tooling.grin

Looks like it's time to do some more researching, planning, and thinking and build a foundation. Thanks to all you guys for your input. I'm going to try to get back into being a little more active on this site, and learn from this community!

|

2/19/2018 8:30 PM

I would also suggest finding out what your local area needs from a biking/surfboarding/motorcycle perspective...then start by selling local. Building a rep that way. Right now, where I live, people would kill for a decent BMX shop...but there is none b/c most people shop online...

having been in the business of promoting my bands, it usually helps to start local and build a rep. Then get some stuff online to hit the next level of demographic.

It would be a good idea to find a way to target parents of younger kids with product...there are always people here and elsewhere asking about bikes for their 5-7 year old kid. A place that specializes in catering to that crowd? It is sort of an "instant market", and could produce future customers for other projects...none of the BMX entities I know of specifically target the parents crowd looking for smaller bikes...especially with some of the visual imagery

just thinking out loud...and there might be a market in the otehr activities you mentioned in the same way?

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

2/19/2018 10:38 PM

Hmmmm why not try helmets or gloves? I see that you participate in wakesports also, although I can tell youre a boat rider lol (I’m cable but trying to find a winch). You should think of maybe doing protective gloves. My hands get so thrashed from those wooden handles.

|

2/19/2018 11:44 PM

TheGrey sprockets are made in the UK, but not by myself. I leave it to the people that know what they're doing!
Without a silly amount if investment it's very hard to get off the ground and be successful. But even if I break even it'll never be a full time job. Just to pay myself a wage I'd have to sell 2 sprockets a day, and then I'd run out of stock in no time. It's more just a project that I'm hoping will pay for itself and get a few people stoked. I've already got a few well known riders riding a sprocket, and that alone had made me stoked! Streetdave gets hooked up, and Dan price has a sprocket. Cong is getting some bits too. Plus a sponsored guy bought a sprocket from me, and I'm going to hook Curtis up smile
But, I've given away loads of stuff just to help get the name out there.

As long as you're not doing it to make money, you'll be fine. That's something you shouldn't plan for, unless you've got enough money to pay for loads of advertising, and can project a good enough image to sponsor people

|

2/20/2018 6:34 AM

You COULD start an Etsy and branch out that way-maybe hit some "less than target demo" folks with random stuff as well to pocket the cash like Kyle said to then branch into other things.

Video game related stuff, car stuff, cartoon stuff, electronics stuff and so on.

Is it a Cricut you picked up? The wife and I are looking into one of those-mainly for our kid and kid on the way to make shirts etc, but if it does well I will pad my etsy store with decals etc, and then use it to make stencils for woodburning and painting.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/20/2018 9:17 AM

Like the others said, don't start off with clothing. Hard goods is gonna be your best bet. I agree with the idea of doing something like protective gear, such as helmets and gloves. You generally don't sell clothing until you already have a customer base. I'd start with something easy like a couple frames (you don't have to have a million on hand, just maybe three or four) or do some video game stuff (seriously, the sport needs a new game lol, mat hoffman pro bmx 2 gets old after 18ish years). If you brought up a game and sold copies, I'd buy it, as long as you don't do what bmxthegame did.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/20/2018 9:20 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Like the others said, don't start off with clothing. Hard goods is gonna be your best bet. I agree with the idea of doing ...more

Try out bmx streets or bmx pipe(or something like that) it's a new bmx game that just came out

|

Hmmm

2/20/2018 10:14 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Like the others said, don't start off with clothing. Hard goods is gonna be your best bet. I agree with the idea of doing ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Try out bmx streets or bmx pipe(or something like that) it's a new bmx game that just came out

Actually I know about that one, but it doesn't have that much content and they don't really update it. There's a free one too called bmx park but same thing.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/20/2018 12:11 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Just a few frames will cost a poop ton per frame compared to getting a batch of 50. The rrp would be less than they cost to make to be able to compete with every other frame on the market. A factory in Taiwan won't make 3 or 4 frames.

|