Dream street Wheel set up !

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2020 9:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2020 10:03 PM

So i recently build up my first custom bike, I'm happy about my choices but I've got some conclusions about how i could have taken better decision about my wheel set up
I'd like you guys just approve what I'm going to say and add your thoughts about it..

My wheel choose - Odyssey ak7 on Demolition whistlers cassette and front, 2.4 demolition streethead huckker tyres (wire bead) and regular tubes.

so -
choosing tyres:
front should be Kevlar bead with high end tube, bigger than the rear tyre (lets say something like 2.4 Front 2.3 rear)
rear can be either Kevlar or wired but smaller than frontier
* Kevlar frontier just to save some rotational weight

rims:
front should be cross laced since most lateral damage are on the front. if you noticed, front wheel take so much lateral damage, grinds, bad landings, that cross lace that Gsports, i think, comes really handy for front wheel

hubs: what ever, didn't get to a special conclusions but defiantly should be choosing a good brand
but should be female axle, traditional 17 longer bolts

I think, and that can be a tip for those who might follow that process of wheel setup build up, when your into it you just think "lets match brands and sizes and go with it" but now having more experience about brands, technology i would have chosen this set up;

Gsport (birdcage maybe?) cross lacing rim + éclat Mirage 2.45 + high end tube (hub, really don't know)
on the rear - any odyssey heavy duty rim + good wire bead tyre 2.30 + regular tube
* and of course, buy a true stand and have it strengthen and tighten the best possible !

btw, i used to think trueing a wheel should happen each few months but now i realized wheels get loose really fast, and having them trued once a month at least is really important, if your not lazy, even each 2 weeks
trueing them a lot can just prevent the first spoke brake to follow fewer spokes braking and eventually lacing it again with new spokes or risking rim bending and wheel explosion, etc
what are your opinion's overall about that?

|

10/27/2020 12:18 AM

My dream wheels would be Gsport Ribcages with Profile Elite hubs. I'm about 1/4 the way to that build, haha.

But honestly, even budget wheels can go a long way as long as you maintain and take care of them well.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

10/27/2020 12:32 AM

readybmxer wrote:

My dream wheels would be Gsport Ribcages with Profile Elite hubs. I'm about 1/4 the way to that build, haha.

But honestly, even budget wheels can go a long way as long as you maintain and take care of them well.

That tip about maintenance is true for sure

what is special about Profile one's? I never looked up to them since they a race related aren't they?
are they high end on their products? how they are different than brands like Gsport/Odyssey/éclat/WTP?

|

10/27/2020 1:40 AM

Shaked wrote:

what is special about Profile one's? I never looked up to them since they a race related aren't they?
are they high end on their products? how they are different than brands like Gsport/Odyssey/éclat/WTP?

They’re some of the highest quality parts in BMX. They do cater to a large race audience, but many people run their hubs, stems, sprockets, and cranks in freestyle, both street and park. They aren’t strictly for racing.

The Elite hubs are mostly seen in park riding though. Logan Martin, Brandon Loupos, and Jeremy Malott, just to name a couple, run the Elite hub. Nearly instant engagement, tons of customization options to choose from, and they’re incredibly loud.

|

10/27/2020 3:12 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Shaked wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

They’re some of the highest quality parts in BMX. They do cater to a large race audience, but many people run their hubs, stems, sprockets, and cranks in freestyle, both street and park. They aren’t strictly for racing.

The Elite hubs are mostly seen in park riding though. Logan Martin, Brandon Loupos, and Jeremy Malott, just to name a couple, run the Elite hub. Nearly instant engagement, tons of customization options to choose from, and they’re incredibly loud.

interesting
do you know why more known pro riders don't ride them?
how they hold up for grinding beasts??

so if im a street rider riding pegs i should look up for the elite ones? because iv'e seen there's more options, and they also customize the hub parts themselves with different materials.. pretty crazy
is it really necessary to have titanium on your hub ?

I am still warry of it, maybe they are seen in park more because it can't hold up grinding and big gaps?
or maybe just because park world has this thing to have as much anodize, chrome and raw colors on their bikes?

|

10/27/2020 8:57 AM

So my wife surprised me a couple months ago with a Freenight hub...this turned into kind of a new wheel build obsession. Here’s my new “street” setup that I have on my Tallboy:

Rims: Birdcage front and rear (the only kind I could get my hands on were chrome. I hate chrome so I powder coated them flat black)

Tires: Eclat Mirage Folding 2.45 (the inflated width is nowhere close to 2.45...maybe 2.3?)

Front hub: Shadow front/nylon hub guards

Rear hub: Freenight with S&M Cymbals DS/NDS

Pegs: BSD Unit x4

I really like them. I was super nervous about the birdcages considering I am used to Ribcages, but they hold up fine.

|

10/27/2020 9:22 AM

I would have kept the full Aqua Profile colorway wheelset I had. It would look so good on my copper frame.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/27/2020 9:54 AM

tru your wheels more. you need more wheels or hub sets or whatever.

|

10/27/2020 11:06 AM

Shaked wrote:

interesting

so if im a street rider riding pegs i should look up for the elite ones? because iv'e seen there's more options, and they also customize the hub parts themselves with different materials.. pretty crazy

I am still warry of it, maybe they are seen in park more because it can't hold up grinding and big gaps?
or maybe just because park world has this thing to have as much anodize, chrome and raw colors on their bikes?

Some people don’t run them because they don’t like the noise, don’t like quick engagement hubs, or don’t like cassettes.

They Elites aren’t for heavy grinding, but the Mini can hold up pretty well.

No, it is not necessary to have titanium on your hub. If it was, every hub would have titanium, but they don’t.

Park riding is not all about having more anodized and chrome and raw, that doesn’t make any sense. Countless street riders have anodized and chrome and raw on their bike, anybody gets to choose what colors they want.

|

10/27/2020 2:10 PM

If you want strength go ribcages, 7ka’s or, Merritt battles, or bsd nasa’s with really any hub

|

smile

10/27/2020 4:20 PM

I’m stoked on my profile mini/rollcage setup. I thought about ribcages but I don’t go that hard!

|

10/27/2020 4:56 PM

I recently got
BSD Aero pro to Odyssey Clutch v2 - back
Eclat E440 to Gsport Roloway - front

What do you think of these rims and front hub?
Its easy to find opinions on gsport and odyssey rims i know they good but decided to go with something more fresh

|

10/27/2020 4:57 PM

vagabond wrote:

So my wife surprised me a couple months ago with a Freenight hub...this turned into kind of a new wheel build obsession. Here’s my new “street” setup that I have on my Tallboy:

Rims: Birdcage front and rear (the only kind I could get my hands on were chrome. I hate chrome so I powder coated them flat black)

Tires: Eclat Mirage Folding 2.45 (the inflated width is nowhere close to 2.45...maybe 2.3?)

I really like them. I was super nervous about the birdcages considering I am used to Ribcages, but they hold up fine.

hey thanks for that answer, you seem to be stoked and that's nice to hear haha
free night are great, i live in Israel so i know the owner of freenight shop, he is a great dude and deserves that source of income very much !

i have the éclat mirage 2.45 too, waiting on the shelf if anything goes bad with my demolition hammerheads
they seem to be less wide, btw mine isn't folding and it is wire bead, how comes that? they have 2 version and i didn't know ?
if you can add a picture of them id love to see the differences !

how do you like those s&m hub guards and BSD pegs?
what were your worries on the birdcage? the way of lacing? they have one of the best reputation out there

|

10/27/2020 5:01 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Shaked wrote:

interesting

readybmxer wrote:

Some people don’t run them because they don’t like the noise, don’t like quick engagement hubs, or don’t like cassettes.

No, it is not necessary to have titanium on your hub. If it was, every hub would have titanium, but they don’t.

Park riding is not all about having more anodized and chrome and raw, that doesn’t make any sense. Countless street riders have anodized and chrome and raw on their bike, anybody gets to choose what colors they want.

i dont know i saw a vlog long time ago from australia with a bunch of park riders and they had the vibe for all the anodized, if you look on bike parts its hard to find anodized hubs so i figured out thats why profile sells it mostly to park riders but i might be mistaken..

what is quick engagement hubs? i never understood that since the cassette doesn't have any slack like the freecoaster has so what does it mean ?

|

10/27/2020 8:08 PM

vagabond wrote:

Shaked wrote:

free night are great, i live in Israel so i know the owner of freenight shop, he is a great dude and deserves that source of income very much !

i have the éclat mirage 2.45 too, waiting on the shelf if anything goes bad with my demolition hammerheads
they seem to be less wide, btw mine isn't folding and it is wire bead, how comes that? they have 2 version and i didn't know ?

what were your worries on the birdcage? the way of lacing? they have one of the best reputation out there

Where do you live in Israel? I lived in Kfar Shmayahu in the 90s. Love the food.

I’ll take pix when I am back home of the complete bike..I’m in Chicago on business until Thursday. The S&M Cymbals are crazy overpriced, but fit like a glove on the Freenight. The BSD Units are the balls...can’t say enough good things about them. They are light, tough, skinny (32 mm diameter), and the laser acid face etching looks really cool. Here are a couple pics that I sent to Tal when I first laced the Freenight up (to Ribcages) Photo
Photo

|

10/27/2020 8:37 PM

I own my dream wheel. Merritt Battle Rims, Merritt Non Stop Front Hub, Animal Javelin Cassette rear hub, Merritt rim strips, Merritt rear hub guard, Merritt Tension front hub guards, G-Sport Uni Guard for the DS, Merritt Option Tires, & Merritt GFE pegs 4.75 x4.

I love my wheel set ups. Everything is so sturdy & strong & makes me feel safe.

|

10/27/2020 10:40 PM

vagabond wrote:

Shaked wrote:

vagabond wrote:

Where do you live in Israel? I lived in Kfar Shmayahu in the 90s. Love the food.

I’ll take pix when I am back home of the complete bike..I’m in Chicago on business until Thursday. The S&M Cymbals are crazy overpriced, but fit like a glove on the Freenight. The BSD Units are the balls...can’t say enough good things about them. They are light, tough, skinny (32 mm diameter), and the laser acid face etching looks really cool. Here are a couple pics that I sent to Tal when I first laced the Freenight up (to Ribcages) Photo
Photo

hahaha man nice, of course I know Kfar Shmaryahu but I'm from Jerusalem tough
food is excellence for sure
that's cool mate !

|

10/27/2020 11:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2020 11:02 PM

Shaked wrote:

i dont know i saw a vlog long time ago from australia with a bunch of park riders and they had the vibe for all the anodized, if you look on bike parts its hard to find anodized hubs so i figured out thats why profile sells it mostly to park riders but i might be mistaken..

what is quick engagement hubs? i never understood that since the cassette doesn't have any slack like the freecoaster has so what does it mean ?

It's just a trend, parts in certain colors aren't aimed at a certain riding demographic. Like I said, people can choose what they want in terms of color.

Quick or instant engagement hubs mean that, when you go to pedal, there's instant grab in the hub, meaning less "dead space" between cranks. Obviously, freecoasters have slack by default, making then non-instant engaging. But take a cassette hub with many points of engagement, such as a Profile Elite, Colony Wasp, Mutant Owl, or Demolition Whistler, to name just a few, these would be considered quick engagement hubs. Some of them have over 100 points of engagement, or over 100 grooves in the hub's ratchet circle.

But some cassettes, typically those sold on complete bikes, have fewer pawls or points of engagement on the ratchet circle, making certain cassettes less "grabby" than others, and thus not a quick engagement hub.

|

10/28/2020 2:38 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Shaked wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

It's just a trend, parts in certain colors aren't aimed at a certain riding demographic. Like I said, people can choose what they want in terms of color.

Quick or instant engagement hubs mean that, when you go to pedal, there's instant grab in the hub, meaning less "dead space" between cranks. Obviously, freecoasters have slack by default, making then non-instant engaging. But take a cassette hub with many points of engagement, such as a Profile Elite, Colony Wasp, Mutant Owl, or Demolition Whistler, to name just a few, these would be considered quick engagement hubs. Some of them have over 100 points of engagement, or over 100 grooves in the hub's ratchet circle.

But some cassettes, typically those sold on complete bikes, have fewer pawls or points of engagement on the ratchet circle, making certain cassettes less "grabby" than others, and thus not a quick engagement hub.

maybe i always had quick engagement hubs since i never noticed any cassette had a slack.. even tough i was riding 3 complete bikes before my current one so maybe they had equipped with good hubs too..
really weird for me to think about cassette hub that don't engage when ever you crank down

|

10/28/2020 4:39 AM

seriously dude, streets are rough on bikes. complete bikes are rough to begin with, but sidewalks and pavement kill wheels. skateboarders need to change their wheels often too. like... every day often!

|

10/28/2020 9:42 AM

Shaked wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

Shaked wrote:

maybe i always had quick engagement hubs since i never noticed any cassette had a slack.. even tough i was riding 3 complete bikes before my current one so maybe they had equipped with good hubs too..
really weird for me to think about cassette hub that don't engage when ever you crank down

Subtle but significant differences. I went from a $100 Trebol to a $209 Profile Mini and the difference is noticeable enough to be worth it to me..

|

10/28/2020 11:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/28/2020 11:07 AM

my 'dream' wheels would probably be the Odyssey Hazard/Antigram complete wheels lmao

|

10/28/2020 2:56 PM

Shaked wrote:

It’s very minimal. We’re talking like 0.5-0.75 inches of movement at the pedals before it engages on a normal hub to like sub 0.25” of pedal movement on those high engagement hubs. Not noticeable if you aren’t experienced with a lot of hubs, and if you’re a freecoaster guy im sure everything feels like instant engagement after going from 1/4 turn of slack to 1-2 degrees of slack lol

|

10/28/2020 3:08 PM

Carbon rims, Ti spokes and Profile Elite hubs. Ti driver/bolts etc

|

10/31/2020 4:03 PM

vagabond wrote:

Shaked wrote:

So here are the Birdcage builds with the Freenight/BSD Unit and S&M Cymbals.

I just got back from a biz trip so have only ridden in the past two days, but so far I really like the Birdcage. My comment about being nervous about purchasing stemmed from my experience riding Ribcages which are pretty much bomb-proof...anything other than what I am used to (especially something less strong) I will be nervous Photo
Photo

|

10/31/2020 4:14 PM

Some primo wheels I guess with the balance coaster.

Definitely not cinema or g sport lol.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/31/2020 4:34 PM

Eclat carbonic rims when they come out. With Eclat seismic front hub and cortex freecoaster

|

10/31/2020 4:51 PM

Four wrote:

Some primo wheels I guess with the balance coaster.

Definitely not cinema or g sport lol.

The primo balance FC is really nice. I run that on my other bike.

|

11/1/2020 3:59 AM

G sport rollcages, bsd butted spokes, antigrams. Never had a problem with them. I got the rims 3rd hand a few years. They’ve gotta be 10years old by now. I’m pegless, but I’d trust these hubs with pegs more than a lot of other hubs (because they’re strong af and have lifetime warranty).

I’ve had alienation felon rims, they were really good too. A lot of thought went into their design.

I’ve had quite a few pairs of mini’s/totems, but prefer 3 pawl hubs for street. The sound is more satisfying and that little extra time to engage gives me more confidence landing a fast/big 180. Plus the infamous profile wobble that I had on a couple of mini’s, and cost of spares, puts me off profile hubs.

I also had an odyssey clutch which I really liked, would’ve kept it but it was rhd. I’m considering getting another lhd and enjoying sliders all the time again.

|

11/1/2020 8:21 AM

vagabond wrote:

The primo balance FC is really nice. I run that on my other bike.

Agreed, one of the nicest wheels I've ran so far. We'll see how it holds up since I just got it not long ago. Also doesn't weigh two lbs and have a shitty male axle like other coasters.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.